Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Eshnar

03 Feb 2019 01:00

Brand was strongest but cross isn't just about strength. Sanne rode a clean race and three falls for Brand was too much. Crazy that her own dad may have cost her the title.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

03 Feb 2019 10:55

brand will not wish to ride number 13 again..................

closest racing in womens..........elite and now in u23's................so much orange at the front

yesterday cant pulled through with her usual gutsy ride...........today dutch 1 ..2 ...3
User avatar ebandit

Re:

03 Feb 2019 12:13

jaylew wrote:Brand was strongest but cross isn't just about strength. Sanne rode a clean race and three falls for Brand was too much. Crazy that her own dad may have cost her the title.

Cant was physically on par with Brand imo. Sanne totally nailed it both technically and tactically though. That was class. Great race, basically like 80% of the women's races this year.

As for the last crash, that was her own fault not her dad's, but yeah, still a painful moment.
User avatar Flamin

03 Feb 2019 14:37

MVDP gone
IndianCyclist

03 Feb 2019 14:40

Cant win against MVP doing such mistakes... still 1/2 of the race to go though.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

03 Feb 2019 15:14

Just the one off camber section where MVDP was able to ride whereas others made a mistake or had to get off made the difference
Last edited by IndianCyclist on 03 Feb 2019 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
IndianCyclist

03 Feb 2019 15:14

Chapeau MVP!
Good fight WvA & TA. Shame for TA (mistake and crash) after such great season.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re:

03 Feb 2019 16:45

IndianCyclist wrote:Just the one off camber section where MVDP was able to ride whereas others made a mistake or had to get off made the difference

That and MvdP had more power clearly. Because first time Van Aert could come back. 2nd time gap only got bigger (until MvdP was safe and he eased off in the final lap).
Hard to ride against somebody more powerful AND more technical skilled.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

03 Feb 2019 17:16

What a shocking result! :rolleyes: Congrats MVDP!

Nino is putting in the between-season of his life to be ready for MVDP (sorry for the quick slide off topic)!
jmdirt

Re: Re:

03 Feb 2019 19:14

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
IndianCyclist wrote:Just the one off camber section where MVDP was able to ride whereas others made a mistake or had to get off made the difference

That and MvdP had more power clearly. Because first time Van Aert could come back. 2nd time gap only got bigger (until MvdP was safe and he eased off in the final lap).
Hard to ride against somebody more powerful AND more technical skilled.

Agreed. Clearly MVDP had way more power than the next rider. Wout managed to close a gap before skidding on a camber and was never to be seen after. MVDP took off like a rocket. Good for him; it would have been a shame if he lost the most important race after dominating everything else.
That was an impressive sight to watch. I know some people think the course was schit, but to this set of uneducated eyes, I thought it was great. It combined every aspect of the sport without going overboard.
Well done, people of Denmark!
p.s. Someone sign that Spanish guy to a contract asap. I was desperately hoping he could hang in with the big boys till the end and grab a medal.
User avatar the delgados

03 Feb 2019 19:31

'Took off like a rocket' - not really. This was a good win, but not as dominant as most of his wins this season. The main difference was his superior technique. On that one section, he was always able to stay on the bike, while the others had to get off most of the time. That's maybe 3 seconds every time. This is what makes him almost unbeatable though: he has the power and the skill.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

03 Feb 2019 21:55

Jagartrott wrote:'Took off like a rocket' - not really. This was a good win, but not as dominant as most of his wins this season. The main difference was his superior technique. On that one section, he was always able to stay on the bike, while the others had to get off most of the time. That's maybe 3 seconds every time. This is what makes him almost unbeatable though: he has the power and the skill.

Mental note: Do not exaggerate for effect. MVDP maintained his pace when Wout skidded off and lost a few seconds, which is a lot. Please correct me if I am wrong, but aside from Wout skidding out, I do not recall anyone who had a remote hope of catching MVDP dismounting in that section of the course. Granted, my memory is a little suspect, so I might be off base.
I think everyone thought it was going to be really hard to catch up after Wout s little mishap. And whaddaya know--the commentators were right.
MVDP is a perfect machine. Simply outstanding.
Also, keep in mind that he freewheeled during parts of the last lap--taking it easy in parts, high fiving spectators, ramping up for the victory salute etc.-- all of which cut down the length of time he had on his competitors. He was absolutely dominant.
User avatar the delgados

04 Feb 2019 00:31

Flamin wrote:
jaylew wrote:Brand was strongest but cross isn't just about strength. Sanne rode a clean race and three falls for Brand was too much. Crazy that her own dad may have cost her the title.

Cant was physically on par with Brand imo. Sanne totally nailed it both technically and tactically though. That was class. Great race, basically like 80% of the women's races this year.

As for the last crash, that was her own fault not her dad's, but yeah, still a painful moment.

According to her, it was her dad's fault. I think she was absolutely the strongest - she had to come back 3 times after going down which I don't think Sanne could have done but she rode such a clean and smart race that she deserved that win.

Going to be really strange seeing Wout in a normal trade team kit next year though I guess there's a decent chance MVP skips the American World Cups again and Wout wins there and winds up wearing the World Cup leaders jersey
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

04 Feb 2019 07:41

jaylew wrote:
Flamin wrote:

According to her, it was her dad's fault. I think she was absolutely the strongest - she had to come back 3 times after going down which I don't think Sanne could have done but she rode such a clean and smart race that she deserved that win.

Going to be really strange seeing Wout in a normal trade team kit next year though I guess there's a decent chance MVP skips the American World Cups again and Wout wins there and winds up wearing the World Cup leaders jersey

That was her first reaction after the race. I'm sure she will come to senses once she sees the images again. I also thought "what the hell is that guy doing" when I saw it live at full speed, but if you look at the recap, she just unclicks too late. The mechanic simply has to pull that bike away in time.

Well, the tempo dropped a few times of course (especially on the asphalt), that's why Neff and Brammeier appeared at the front at one point as well. Still a strong ride but if she was really stronger than Cant, she would have at least been able to put more pressure on that final lap imo. And she didn't.
User avatar Flamin

Re: Race Thread

07 Feb 2019 01:00

Hey Flamin.
Can you come over to the clinic for a minute (qm)
You seem like you know what you are talking about, and I have a question in the MVDP thread.
Rest assured, mods, I will do my best to make sure Flamin returns before curfew. ( I kid, of course)
User avatar the delgados

07 Feb 2019 13:27

No thanks, not interested.
User avatar Flamin

Re: Race Thread

07 Feb 2019 15:57

Oh. Okay.
User avatar the delgados

07 Feb 2019 18:29

I only like to engage in talk about cx, not random clinic accusations, so feel free to join in here :)
User avatar Flamin

Re:

08 Feb 2019 02:18

Flamin wrote:I only like to engage in talk about cx, not random clinic accusations, so feel free to join in here :)

I am trying!
User avatar the delgados

08 Feb 2019 08:21

MvdP has won in the lottery of life; his breeding. As someone who also follows horse racing - he is what is known a 'bred in the purple'.
Axel Hangleck

PreviousNext

Return to General