Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Eshnar

Re: Race Thread

09 Feb 2019 21:01

Hey guys!
Guess who today s race in Lille, France!
That s right--MVDP!
Shocking!
I can only imagine what goes through the heads of his opponents every time they see him line up at the start. All I know is I would probably just turn around, ride home, and solemnly contemplate my future in the sport. Maybe crack a beer or 20 and wonder what the hell I was thinking taking up the sport.
User avatar the delgados

10 Feb 2019 10:26

Small correction: this wasn't Lille France but Lille Belgium.
jflemaire

10 Feb 2019 13:44

the delgados wrote:Hey guys!
That s right--MVDP!
Shocking!
I can only imagine what goes through the heads of his opponents every time they see him line up at the start. All I know is I would probably just turn around, ride home, and solemnly contemplate my future in the sport. Maybe crack a beer or 20 and wonder what the hell I was thinking taking up the sport.

Some of them need to go away, and after a short rest, work on their technical skills. And more of them should take up MTB in the summer months as opposed to racing on the road. Mathieu's skills have come on even more since he went to MTB.
Axel Hangleck

10 Feb 2019 15:51

Axel Hangleck wrote:
the delgados wrote:Hey guys!
That s right--MVDP!
Shocking!

Some of them need to go away, and after a short rest, work on their technical skills. And more of them should take up MTB in the summer months as opposed to racing on the road. Mathieu's skills have come on even more since he went to MTB.

this
WvA wasn't even jumping the obstacles most of the time until this/last season (if i recall correctly) and still managed to be 2nd best CX rider overal mostly due to being such a powerhouse.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

10 Feb 2019 17:07

Today again.. the only rider able to ride the technical camber corner in the last part of the course (2 times). And also the lack of big mistakes and ability to take corner a bit faster than Aerts most of the time was critical.

Aerts is not much down on power I believe. But he has to race over the edge to be able to stay with him, and finally makes mistakes because of that
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

12 Feb 2019 01:37

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Today again.. the only rider able to ride the technical camber corner in the last part of the course (2 times). And also the lack of big mistakes and ability to take corner a bit faster than Aerts most of the time was critical.

Aerts is not much down on power I believe. But he has to race over the edge to be able to stay with him, and finally makes mistakes because of that

Same goes for former world champion WoutvA.
User avatar the delgados

15 Feb 2019 14:44

In pure power though, it was clear there's not much at all between them.. they can close gaps and stay with Vd Poel. But on those technical sections and corners... no way
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

16 Feb 2019 15:06

Hello, fellow cyclo-cross fans.
I have been watching and absorbing a lot of cyclo-cross information over the past few months, and I submit that watching a women s cyclo-cross race is far more appealing than their male counterparts.. Three reasons why:

1) Some women look into the camera and say hello when the camera guy scans the front row of race favourites prior to the start. I think that is adorable. Compare that to the men. Not a single one makes a friendly gesture to the camera. It is like they are too cool for school. Rather than acknowledging they are starring in a bike race, they act as if they are going into battle to save life and limb. Come on, guys. Lighten up a little. You are not Roman gladiators.

2) The balance of competition is evenly distributed. The winner of an elite men cyclo-cross race is determined within 30 seconds. Yawn. I m already feeling sleepy.

3) I think it was a couple years ago when the French rider won the WC. She was ploughing through the course, face covered in mud. She had strength and total determination, and I was happy she won. Then she gets onto the podium, and lets just say the contrast from muddy race face to podium face was stunning. She is gorgeous. Although I appreciate the talent shown by the men, women will always be better looking than men.
User avatar the delgados

18 Feb 2019 10:10

eva lechner is my fave......................she's always cheery with a wave for the camera/fans

and women cross riders are braver than i ................plummetting downhill on sketchy surfaces

we're coming to the end of the cross season...........again great racing from the women

men were a whole lot faster but alas races so often lacked drama

great to see TP up on podium yesterday mens races need an influx of new blood
User avatar ebandit

19 Feb 2019 16:29

all good things come to an end.............so a word in appreciation of helen wyman

one could not find a more down to earth honest athlete who always gave it all.............
User avatar ebandit

Today 14:56

Yes GO GO GO TOM GO TOM!!!
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Previous

Return to General