Register

Brailsford and Lefevere blame the riders for lying to them?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Brailsford and Lefevere blame the riders for lying to them?

11 Oct 2012 16:45

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-stunned-by-usada-disclosures

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/we-didnt-know-about-leipheimer-case-when-he-signed-claims-lefevere

Seriously, how long have these guys been in the business? They should have known better. They should know USPS was one of the dirtiest teams in cycling. Both Barry and Leipheimer came from USPS, did Brailsford and Lefevere expect them to be squeaky clean, past and present?

Brailsford and Lefevere should shoulder some of the responsibilities for hiring them, instead of just throwing the riders under the bus.
User avatar TheEnoculator

11 Oct 2012 16:48

Clearly, both are full of siht. They knew.
THOR IS ANGRY
User avatar Red Lobster

11 Oct 2012 16:50

Did Brailsford ask about Yates, Rogers, Possoni, Leinders etc?
Justcycling

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
User avatar Mrs John Murphy

11 Oct 2012 16:54

This is why there will be no change in the sport. So called team clean are a bunch of liars.

Brailsford would need to be living in outer mongolia not to have know what was going on. He is part of the problem.
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78
User avatar Benotti69

11 Oct 2012 16:54

It's a clear case of don't ask, don't tell.
User avatar Bala Verde

11 Oct 2012 16:59

I can just about imagine Lefevere asking, uh, Pecharroman "Son, did you steamroller the field in Catalunya and Euskal Bizikleta clean?"

"yes" *makes shifty eyes*

"Welcome aboard."

So yeah, I can totally see Lefevere being clueless about actual abilities of riders.
User avatar roundabout

11 Oct 2012 17:04

Lefevere was the one who used threatening tactics in an attempt to smoke out the unnamed rider on the team who talked about Quickstep doping to the Het Laatste Nieuws 5-6 years ago. He told all the riders on the team they would have to file lawsuits against the newspaper...his plan was to see which rider would hesitate, thus uncovering the snitch.
User avatar Epicycle

11 Oct 2012 17:13

They are either liars or idiots.
Ripley on fixing Aliens and Cycling - "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1MspmfEwg

Alberto Contador will win the 100th edition of the Tour de France.

Alberto Contador will win the 101th edition of the Tour de France.
User avatar JRTinMA

11 Oct 2012 17:16

Benotti69 wrote:This is why there will be no change in the sport. So called team clean are a bunch of liars.

Brailsford would need to be living in outer mongolia not to have know what was going on. He is part of the problem.

Agree 100%. I was happy to see a flurry of confessions, then I see this. So there's no need for managers and DS's to exercise judgement calls? If the rider said he's always been clean, he's hired. In cycling, almost everybody lies, you don't just take the word of any rider.

This is shameful, worse than omerta.
User avatar TheEnoculator

11 Oct 2012 17:17

This whole story is a complete joke and shows that the whole sport is still crap. Dowsetts comments make me laugh and the bbc are showing pictures of contador as they explain the case.nothing will ever change.
sel1700

11 Oct 2012 17:26

This has been very unfortunate for both teams, what with Ibarguren and Leinders too.
pelodee

11 Oct 2012 17:39

Epicycle wrote:Lefevere was the one who used threatening tactics in an attempt to smoke out the unnamed rider on the team who talked about Quickstep doping to the Het Laatste Nieuws 5-6 years ago. He told all the riders on the team they would have to file lawsuits against the newspaper...his plan was to see which rider would hesitate, thus uncovering the snitch.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jan07/jan23news2

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/mar07/mar12news2
pelodee

11 Oct 2012 17:43

TheEnoculator wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-stunned-by-usada-disclosures

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/we-didnt-know-about-leipheimer-case-when-he-signed-claims-lefevere

Seriously, how long have these guys been in the business? They should have known better. They should know USPS was one of the dirtiest teams in cycling. Both Barry and Leipheimer came from USPS, did Brailsford and Lefevere expect them to be squeaky clean, past and present?

Brailsford and Lefevere should shoulder some of the responsibilities for hiring them, instead of just throwing the riders under the bus.

Their not knowing is about as believable as LL saying he hasn't been a doping POS for his whole career. Lefevere and Brailsford are as believable as Madoff.
[SIZE="3"]Not sure I even care anymore...[/SIZE]
User avatar ChewbaccaD

11 Oct 2012 17:57

"I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, to find doping going on in my cycling team," says Brailsford and Lefevere in unison.
User avatar Sarcastic Wet Trout

11 Oct 2012 18:00

They obviously spent time working out how Bjarne Riis deals with a member of his team being busted for doping.
Justcycling

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
User avatar Mrs John Murphy

11 Oct 2012 18:24

Thanks.

"I do not require them to do this, I merely ask them to," (Lefevere) said to Sportwereld.be. "But whoever doesn't do it makes themselves suspicious as being the one who spoke to Het Laatste Nieuws. I can assume that no one would be so stupid as to file a complaint against themselves."

He laid this claim out more specifically, according to Sporza.be. He said that if someone does not participate, "then we will know immediately who from our team talked to them. ... The riders are also victims of these doping charges. The article endangers their future."

That's some mafia sh!t.
User avatar Epicycle

11 Oct 2012 20:27

Sarcastic Wet Trout wrote:"I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, to find doping going on in my cycling team," says Brailsford and Lefevere in unison.

Funny but my reaction was that I was surprised that I wasn't shocked in the least. Same as after reading Tyler's book. Of course I didn't know many of the details, but the overall situation was so obvious to anyone who has been following that it is almost disappointing that there isn't much that wasn't already suspected.

A soigneur I know that works for a French team wasn't shocked, so how could team managers be so. These guys should be run out of cycling.
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry

Return to The Clinic