Register

Milano-Sanremo

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Milano-Sanremo

18 Mar 2009 16:23

Today both Ballan and Cancellara have announced that they won't be there. Ballan has a herpes/mono-type virus and must have absolute rest for 20 days, and Cancellara said he isn't sufficiently recovered from his training crash injury to play a significant role in the race.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer

18 Mar 2009 16:27

No Ballan for Flanders and probably Roubaix! Big shame.

This year MSR is looking like it'll be a sprinter victory, as long as the teams can keep it under control though.
User avatar El Loto

19 Mar 2009 03:32

Hmmm, should I be the first one to mention the World Champion curse..
User avatar lookkg386

19 Mar 2009 10:01

if herpes/mono is the full extent of the curse, then ballan gets off lightly.
schadenfreude

19 Mar 2009 14:43

The latest I heard is that F. Schleck's out as well. He fell during a training ride and is injured (chin stitched and left wrist bruised)

CSC have a pretty strong team for SR I think with Kroon, Arvesen, O'Grady and Bresschel...
User avatar Bala Verde

19 Mar 2009 19:16

It´s a pity, that World Champion Alessandro Ballan is not able to race those spring classic races. I would like to see him win Paris-Roubaix!
User avatar poki..

19 Mar 2009 19:50

El Loto wrote:No Ballan for Flanders and probably Roubaix! Big shame.

This year MSR is looking like it'll be a sprinter victory, as long as the teams can keep it under control though.

No Ballan and a half Cancellara for Roubaix? They might as well give the victory to Boonen without riding it. What a pitty.
User avatar il_fiammingo

19 Mar 2009 22:17

il_fiammingo wrote:No Ballan and a half Cancellara for Roubaix? They might as well give the victory to Boonen without riding it. What a pitty.

Maybe. If Cancellara then works for O'Grady it may be interesting.
User avatar lookkg386

20 Mar 2009 00:22

Zabel has been working with Cav all season, including twice riding the last 100k of this weekend's race with him.
http://www.velonews.com/article/89448/milan-san-remo-can-cavendish-get-over-the-poggio

Young Cav seems to be soaking it all in - which is great. I think you can clearly feel the difference in his tone (in the article), stating things like "I got the impression I can win it in the future, but maybe not this year..." and "Three hundred kilometers at 23 is a long way. MSR is one of the biggest races I the world and I have to show the respect it deserves".

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of Zabel's labor.
User avatar VeloGirl

20 Mar 2009 02:43

The curse of the rainbow jersey continues. :(
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

20 Mar 2009 02:56

VeloGirl wrote:Zabel has been working with Cav all season, including twice riding the last 100k of this weekend's race with him.
http://www.velonews.com/article/89448/milan-san-remo-can-cavendish-get-over-the-poggio

Young Cav seems to be soaking it all in - which is great. I think you can clearly feel the difference in his tone (in the article), stating things like "I got the impression I can win it in the future, but maybe not this year..." and "Three hundred kilometers at 23 is a long way. MSR is one of the biggest races I the world and I have to show the respect it deserves".

Good on him, I wonder whether he has the attributes to be an eventual P-R contender. In any case, I look forward to seeing if he can repeat his dominance at this year's TDF
User avatar Merckx

20 Mar 2009 03:06

I think Cav is a bit more Super Mario than he is Tom Boonen - so I am not sure he'll ever be one for the pave. I am sure he will feature in other one day races and sprint stages of GT stage races. I think we will be seeing a lot more of the Manx Express.
User avatar 180mmCrank

20 Mar 2009 04:33

il_fiammingo wrote:No Ballan and a half Cancellara for Roubaix? They might as well give the victory to Boonen without riding it. What a pitty.

This will be Hincapie's year.

Just joking.

Maybe not quite. Only half joking. It could happen.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

20 Mar 2009 04:34

I am picking Bennati for MSR.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

20 Mar 2009 09:33

Wonder if Alan davis will figure on the podium? Working for Tom, but if he doesn't have the legs Davis might have a chance?

Good to see him back racing again.
User avatar Rossco

20 Mar 2009 10:48

Cav wins MSR from Haussler and Bennati

The way Cancellara is going, this is going to be Hincapie's year for PR - or a podium.
Grater

20 Mar 2009 13:33

VeloGirl wrote:[color="Silver"]Zabel has been working with Cav all season, including twice riding the last 100k of this weekend's race with him.

Young Cav seems to be soaking it all in - which is great. I think you can clearly feel the difference in his tone (in the article), stating things like "I got the impression I can win it in the future, but maybe not this year..." and "Three hundred kilometers at 23 is a long way. MSR is one of the biggest races I the world and I have to show the respect it deserves".[/color]

don't hold your breath.
schadenfreude

20 Mar 2009 14:01

Chavenel, as a foil for Boonen, or Gilbert
Jarvis

20 Mar 2009 15:44

I still think Hushovd has a very good chance if the Cervelo team can get organized with several riders coming down the Poggio.
User avatar Flamme Rouge

20 Mar 2009 19:15

I think it falls to which team is going to be able to dedicate themselves to one, and only one, rider for the win on the Via Roma (Though I think the actual finish is a few blocks away again this year).

For the heavy favorites:

LPR: Petacchi has Ongarato, Bernucci, and Bosisio who can be counted on to tow him to the line. The wildcard is DiLuca, who I think won't be able to resist taking a dig on the Poggio.

Liguigas: Bennati should be able to count on Basso, Nibali and Vanotti, with only Pellizotti to possibly take a flyer.

Quickstep: Boonen will have the numbers, and more importantly, the complete dedication of his team, to take the win. Tosatto is always dependable, as is Marco Velo (I'm sure Petacchi wonders how these guys could ever be working for someone else :) There's also Chavanel and Davis. Chav, I think, knows and accepts his role in the team. Davis, whom I believe finished 2nd in MSR a few years back, will provide a perfect leadout in the finale.

Of course, there's always Pozatto or Gilbert for a last minute flyer. But I don't think either has Cancellara's raw horsepower to make it stick.

So, I think the photo on the front page of Sundays Gazetta della Sport will be the same as the one from '06, with Petacchi's arms spread wide in disgust at taking 2nd, and Boonens thrust straight in the air, albeit, this time in first. You'll just need to photoshop Pozatto out of the frame entirely. :)

1- Boonen
2 - Petacchi
3 - Husholvd
astokes

Next

Return to Professional road racing