Register

Le Tour de France 2013: who will win?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Tour

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2012 12:09

Alberto Contador
62%
Cristopher Froome
25%
Andy Schleck
6%
Vincenzo Nibali
2%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen
2%
Ryder Hesjedal
1%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo
1%
Other (specify)
1%

Total votes : 99

11 Nov 2012 14:19

airstream wrote:It's wrong. You do conclusion on Froome mostly on the 2012 Vuelta where he lost rather to his bad shape than to Contador. However when you rate Contador, you act like Vuelta didn't exist. Ok, let's declare that since Vuelta there are two or three equal climbers - Contador, Purito and Alex. Agree? But when one says Froome is not an explosive climber... I don't know how one should watch races to think so.

Unfortunately, it is an old light-geared Andy. Nowadays he pedals in a more thickset way. After 2009 his trainers changed his work a bit to improve TT skills almost unsuccessfully.

1.No,it is not conclusion from Vuelta,its conclusion of all races 2011 and 2012 what has Froome raced.Its simple,I believe that Contador and Schleck can repeat or improve their best performaces and so beat Froome,I believe that Froome might improve 2012 level,but it wont be enough to match Contador and Schleck in Ax3,Ventoux,Dhuez.Anyway I dont expect big gaps.

2.I mean when Andy goes allout on big climb Froome cant resist,thats my thing.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

11 Nov 2012 14:39

airstream wrote:It was so in 2010, what it is going to happen in 2013 we can only guess. Nibali doesn't have a tag 'i'll never be able to climb like schleck and contador' on his forehead. Froome is on the biggest rise among current big guns.

That was exactly the point of my post. Froome has shown things that suggest he might be a real threat to AC and AS, but he hasn't proved a thing against them yet. However, he hasn't had the chance to either; and since he seems to climb better than the rest, it'll be great to see how he'll fare against the two riders who are currently considered the best climbers. Maybe those two will affirm their status, maybe Froome will show to be as good a climber, or maybe he'll do better. Who knows. But as long as he didn't actually beat the best climbers, there's no point in saying Froome is one of the best climbers. He simply hasn't had a proper chance of showing whether he is or isn't at the moment.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

Hesjedal...

11 Nov 2012 14:58

Hmmm...

HESJEDAL!
Mongolian Torque

11 Nov 2012 15:05

Wanted to vote for Berto but apparently I can't vote.
Don't remember voting before but maybe I was drunk. Who cares anyway.
User avatar SafeBet

11 Nov 2012 18:42

I don't know who will win, but I will be very disappointed if "Froome-dog" gets much airtime. His riding is just so f*&^ing ugly. The head-bobbing, the stupid white glasses, the bony arms.....the whole package. Add in the air-head trophy girlfriend and his privileged upbringing. I just have this (completely irrational) dislike of the guy.
winkybiker

11 Nov 2012 18:52

winkybiker wrote:I don't know who will win, but I will be very disappointed if "Froome-dog" gets much airtime. His riding is just so f*&^ing ugly. The head-bobbing, the stupid white glasses, the bony arms.....the whole package. Add in the air-head trophy girlfriend and his privileged upbringing. I just have this (completely irrational) dislike of the guy.

You are stupid.:confused:Do you ever heard interview with him?He is really kind and polite.His style is not so good but his desire to win and race is so excellent,he is a great guy and rider.
His airhead girlfriend?Who cares :o, she is hot as hell :D:D
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

11 Nov 2012 19:18

winkybiker wrote:Add in the air-head trophy girlfriend and his privileged upbringing.

Envy like fire always makes for the highest points.
Titus Livius
phanatic

ILovecycling wrote:You are stupid.:confused:Do you ever heard interview with him?He is really kind and polite.His style is not so good but his desire to win and race is so excellent,he is a great guy and rider.
His airhead girlfriend?Who cares :o, she is hot as hell :D:D

Froome is one of the humbliest guys there is indeed, at least in the peleton. Very friendly and all.
Gloin22

The more charismatic and bright guys we have the better. The Legend: an incarnation all the best in cycling in one person, the devil - spawn of omerta with all the consequences and misterious alien who is able of anything. It's almost like the good the bad the ugly.
User avatar airstream

11 Nov 2012 19:34

airstream wrote:What do 'real climbers' imply? But there was a grandiose team mountain work probably the most impressive one since CSC in the 2008 Tour. Froome is not a real climber? Are you kidding? While on form the guy is able to burn out any uphill. He's got an excellent explosive power. He is better than say Andy in this regard, however he is allegedly a real climber. :confused:

No one is saying Froome isn't a real climber. The statement was that there were no exceptional climbers in top form to challenge Sky/Wiggins/Froome in the 2012 Tour. We've had this debate multiple times already.

You certainly have given up on Andy. You are a fickle fella.;)
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

11 Nov 2012 19:51

airstream wrote:WHY? Because no one can't be on their level or what? Lol. Froome's manner is more sharpened for attacks. It's quite obvious.

What does this mean?

Anyone?...... Anyone?...... Bueller?
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude

11 Nov 2012 19:58

Angliru wrote:No one is saying Froome isn't a real climber. The statement was that there were no exceptional climbers in top form to challenge Sky/Wiggins/Froome in the 2012 Tour. We've had this debate multiple times already.

You certainly have given up on Andy. You are a fickle fella.;)

Not, I root and hope to the bitter end, but Froome is #1 favorite.
User avatar airstream

11 Nov 2012 19:59

airstream wrote:The more charismatic and bright guys we have the better. The Legend: an incarnation all the best in cycling in one person, the devil - spawn of omerta with all the consequences and misterious alien who is able of anything. It's almost like the good the bad the ugly.

...and I wonder who the "devil-spawn" is in this twisted scenario from the demented mind of Sir Airstream?:rolleyes:
User avatar Angliru

11 Nov 2012 20:04

Angliru wrote:...and I wonder who the "devil-spawn" is in this twisted scenario from the demented mind of Sir Airstream?:rolleyes:

You know better. God, I'm being accused of dementia. Not very polite. ;)
User avatar airstream

11 Nov 2012 20:07

Altitude wrote:What does this mean?

Anyone?...... Anyone?...... Bueller?

Based on the 2011 Vuelta and Tour Froome easily varies tempo and he can go off as a catapult when he needs it. Actually, I can't remember such sharp pulls from Andy since the 2009 Tour. Frankly speaking, his Cabarga often hits my mind. Back then on 10% sector Froome shifted gear up to relatively big something like 39x22, developed mad power and opened a 40-50 meter gap literally for 10 pedal turnovers. I saw something like that 2 times: Contador on Verbier and Vino on Pandera. Plus Froome exponated something similar on Planche des Belles Filles as well.
User avatar airstream

11 Nov 2012 20:07

airstream wrote:Not, I root and hope until to the bitter end, but Froome is #1 favorite.

Based on performances where he wasn't facing the best in the sport or even the best at their best? I suspect Froome is your # favorite because:
1. You've bailed on the Andy Good Ship Lollipop.
2. You're of the mindset of "anyone but Contador".
User avatar Angliru

11 Nov 2012 20:10

airstream wrote:Based on the 2011 Vuelta and Tour Froome easily varies tempo and he can go off as a catapult when he needs it. Actually, I can't remember such sharp pulls from Andy since the 2009 Tour.

Can't believe I'm defending Andy but.....Tourmalet 2010. He and Contador left the rest of the contenders in their wake.
User avatar Angliru

11 Nov 2012 20:11

airstream wrote:Not, I root and hope to the bitter end, but Froome is #1 favorite.

Maybe for you,but not for at least 61 people here.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
User avatar ILovecycling

11 Nov 2012 20:13

Double posting.:eek:
User avatar Angliru

11 Nov 2012 20:17

Angliru wrote:Can't believe I'm defending Andy but.....Tourmalet 2010. He and Contador left the rest of the contenders in their wake.

Exactly what are you accusing me of? Do I distort any facts or we see different races? :rolleyes:
User avatar airstream

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing