Register

Le Tour de France 2013: who will win?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Tour

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2012 12:09

Alberto Contador
62%
Cristopher Froome
25%
Andy Schleck
6%
Vincenzo Nibali
2%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen
2%
Ryder Hesjedal
1%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo
1%
Other (specify)
1%

Total votes : 99

11 Nov 2012 20:19

airstream wrote:You know better. God, I'm being accused of dementia. Not very polite. ;)

Well I figure it can't be your fault that your perspective and judgement are so bizarre. It must be beyond your control. You just can't help yourself.;)
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

11 Nov 2012 20:23

airstream wrote:Exactly what are you accusing me of? Do I distort any facts or we see different races? :rolleyes:

You simply forgot the incident in which I posted in response to your claim that Andy can't accelerate sharply in the mountains, or hasn't done so since 2009. I'd almost compare what happened on Tourmalet to Contador/Rassmussen in 2007. How do you surmise that I'm accusing you of anything?
User avatar Angliru

11 Nov 2012 20:23

Omg, Contador fan is teaching other rider's fan what it is bizarre and what is not... :)
User avatar airstream

11 Nov 2012 20:30

Gloin22 wrote:Froome is one of the humbliest guys there is indeed, at least in the peleton. Very friendly and all.

I never said my dislike of Froome was rational. I know as little of Froome as I know of any of the peleton. That is to say, I know nothing at all. I've never met any of them. Never will. My dislike is stupid and unfounded in any logic. But so is much of fandom.

And I still don't like watching his "style" on the bike. Ugly as sin. Truly.
winkybiker

11 Nov 2012 20:38

airstream wrote:Omg, Contador fan is teaching other rider's fan what it is bizarre and what is not... :)

One person's bizarre is another's normal.:D
User avatar Angliru

12 Nov 2012 09:11

Angliru wrote:Based on performances where he wasn't facing the best in the sport or even the best at their best? I suspect Froome is your # favorite because:
1. You've bailed on the Andy Good Ship Lollipop.
2. You're of the mindset of "anyone but Contador".

25 guys for Alien too. Syndrom of dementia? I gave Contador 35%. Is that so few? :)
User avatar airstream

12 Nov 2012 12:24

airstream wrote:25 guys for Alien too. Syndrom of dementia? I gave Contador 35%. Is that so few? :)

The "demented" reference is about your uncontrollable hatred (and I don't mean in the casually used "hater" context often used is this forum) for Contador. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and many here may be selecting Froome mistakenly anticipating Saxo/Tinkoff not being invited to the Tour. Your reasoning for your selection is clear and I simply don't agree.
User avatar Angliru

12 Nov 2012 15:07

This is how I see the chances for the anniversary Tour.
I'm not convinced at all Wiggo won't defend the title. I think the Sky team will approach the race with two options and wait to see who has better chances. That should mean limited freedom for Froome in the Pyrenees and opportunity for Contador and Schleck to make advantage on Sky from Mont Ventoux stage, if Sky decides to support Wiggins after the Mont-Saint-Michel tt.
It's ideal route to eliminate Sky, as I see it. By the time they (Sky) realize that Froome has better chances - it could be too late for them.
Tactics is the area where Froome is disadvantaged. He's shown that in last Vuelta with irrational attacks in the first half of the race.
It's crucial for the Sky to enter the Tour with clear leader. Otherwise, their opponents have big chance to eliminate them before the second itt.
User avatar serfla

12 Nov 2012 15:53

serfla wrote:This is how I see the chances for the anniversary Tour.
I'm not convinced at all Wiggo won't defend the title. I think the Sky team will approach the race with two options and wait to see who has better chances. That should mean limited freedom for Froome in the Pyrenees and opportunity for Contador and Schleck to make advantage on Sky from Mont Ventoux stage, if Sky decides to support Wiggins after the Mont-Saint-Michel tt.
It's ideal route to eliminate Sky, as I see it. By the time they (Sky) realize that Froome has better chances - it could be too late for them.
Tactics is the area where Froome is disadvantaged. He's shown that in last Vuelta with irrational attacks in the first half of the race.
It's crucial for the Sky to enter the Tour with clear leader. Otherwise, their opponents have big chance to eliminate them before the second itt.

It is always hard for me to imagine "clear, rigid " strategies for the Tour so many months in advance. While I can conceive of "constructing" the team in function of the route and the projected competition early, I think the day to day strategy is developed on the ground to address the spontaneous reality of the race as it happen. For example "crashes" in the first week have become at time more defining for the outcome then all the planning created in the months before. Take 2011 TDF. In my mind, the race was shaped by Contador's falls more than by his participation in the Giro before the tour. Had he no fallen, tired or not, the opposition would have to deal with a totally different strategy to defeat him
User avatar Dedelou

12 Nov 2012 15:56

Angliru wrote:The "demented" reference is about your uncontrollable hatred (and I don't mean in the casually used "hater" context often used is this forum) for Contador. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and many here may be selecting Froome mistakenly anticipating Saxo/Tinkoff not being invited to the Tour. Your reasoning for your selection is clear and I simply don't agree.

Stop arguing with him it is hopeless
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

12 Nov 2012 16:17

Angliru wrote:The "demented" reference is about your uncontrollable hatred (and I don't mean in the casually used "hater" context often used is this forum) for Contador.

Wow, rating Contador lower than Froome for le Tour is hatred? Do you control yourself by saying this?
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and many here may be selecting Froome mistakenly anticipating Saxo/Tinkoff not being invited to the Tour.

It's a very low estimation of forumities' awareness. Even an offensive one. :)

Oh, I remembered one more argument: a rider with one life cannot beat other rider with two in the Tour cos' we know what consequenses getting popped in France is fraught. Though, I won't be surprised if Contador bluffs to the bitter end. The guy truly has no fear. Being busted twice in the Tour would be a new cycling milestone. It would be an instant 5 year prison term ;)
User avatar airstream

12 Nov 2012 17:30

airstream wrote:Wow, rating Contador lower than Froome for le Tour is hatred? Do you control yourself by saying this?It's a very low estimation of forumities' awareness. Even an offensive one. :)

Oh, I remembered one more argument: a rider with one life cannot beat other rider with two in the Tour cos' we know what consequenses getting popped in France is fraught. Though, I won't be surprised if Contador bluffs to the bitter end. The guy truly has no fear. Being busted twice in the Tour would be a new cycling milestone. It would be an instant 5 year prison term ;)

You really can't deny that you hate the guy. You posted that you hope he burns in hell.:eek: My reference to your hatred has nothing to do with your predictions on his performance and everything to do with the obvious anger in your posts that are directed at him. I'm sure if I (or you or anyone else) took the time to go through your posts they could find at least 20 more that are fine examples of your hatred.
User avatar Angliru

12 Nov 2012 17:42

Angliru wrote:You really can't deny that you hate the guy. You posted that you hope he burns in hell.:eek: My reference to your hatred has nothing to do with your predictions on his performance and everything to do with the obvious anger in your posts that are directed at him. I'm sure if I (or you or anyone else) took the time to go through your posts I could find at least 20 more that are fine examples of your hatred.

Yeah and he also said he thinks Alberto should get shot.
User avatar LaFlorecita

12 Nov 2012 17:47

Angliru wrote:You really can't deny that you hate the guy. You posted that you hope he burns in hell.:eek: My reference to your hatred has nothing to do with your predictions on his performance and everything to do with the obvious anger in your posts that are directed at him. I'm sure if I (or you or anyone else) took the time to go through your posts I could find at least 20 more that are fine examples of your hatred.

Meaningful part of my post is written in a facetious key about Andy, including black humor regarding Contador. All the more so to despise a guy for his strong intrusive doping stance is absolutely normal for a fan who is all for clean sport. Even it will be achieved with a complete substitution of present peloton.
User avatar airstream

12 Nov 2012 18:18

All the Contador/Froome talk aside, is anyone giving Valverde a chance to win it?

His post-ban season was excellent, and he'll be even better next year, or at least that's what I'm expecting. The parcours is also very favourable, with fewer TT km's and of course some tough MTF's. He's also got a nice team of helpers with Costa, Quintana(assuming he'll make the Tour team, although I expect him in the Giro), Cobo and Szmyd and Movistar has done some good TTT's this year.

What do you guys think? I'm a bit surprised he doesn't get more than just my vote :(
User avatar Pentacycle

12 Nov 2012 18:33

Pentacycle wrote:All the Contador/Froome talk aside, is anyone giving Valverde a chance to win it?

His post-ban season was excellent, and he'll be even better next year, or at least that's what I'm expecting. The parcours is also very favourable, with fewer TT km's and of course some tough MTF's. He's also got a nice team of helpers with Costa, Quintana(assuming he'll make the Tour team, although I expect him in the Giro), Cobo and Szmyd and Movistar has done some good TTT's this year.

What do you guys think? I'm a bit surprised he doesn't get more than just my vote :(

To win no maybe podium
User avatar LaFlorecita

12 Nov 2012 19:20

Pentacycle wrote:All the Contador/Froome talk aside, is anyone giving Valverde a chance to win it?

I think his 2012 Vuelta was his best grand tour performance of his career. He was much more steady overall than in 2009. His ITT is of course still a weakness but his climbing was pretty impressive. If he can maintain the same level of focus in the 2013 Tour as he displayed throughout the 2012 Vuelta he could be in for a podium spot. Now he benefited from the bonus seconds too and that won't be in play in the Tour unfortunately.
User avatar Angliru

12 Nov 2012 19:21

Dedelou wrote:It is always hard for me to imagine "clear, rigid " strategies for the Tour so many months in advance. While I can conceive of "constructing" the team in function of the route and the projected competition early, I think the day to day strategy is developed on the ground to address the spontaneous reality of the race as it happen. For example "crashes" in the first week have become at time more defining for the outcome then all the planning created in the months before. Take 2011 TDF. In my mind, the race was shaped by Contador's falls more than by his participation in the Giro before the tour. Had he no fallen, tired or not, the opposition would have to deal with a totally different strategy to defeat him

Of course it's problematic creating and predicting race strategies so many months in advance. But we're where we are - many months before the race, and we're talking about its outcome from this point of view.
The point is, as I've written in last paragraph, the Sky has to enter the race with defined leader, 100% prepared specially for the Tour.
And with hilly Corsican stages and TTT at the beginning of the race, I hope the crashes won't have so important role in shaping the anniversary Tour.
User avatar serfla

12 Nov 2012 20:11

What do you guys think? I'm a bit surprised he doesn't get more than just my vote

Finaly good question ;).Im big fan of him so I hope for good result:).Podium would be awesome plus spectacular stage(s) win and yellow jersey for couple of days.My bet is for Top5,but hope for podium.But I wish him gold from WC in Italy more than this :D.Im also looking forward to LBLmits His race all the time :)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling

12 Nov 2012 20:38

[quote="airstream"]Wow, rating Contador lower than Froome for le Tour is hatred? Do you control yourself by saying this?

Aaah Airstream,i see your dislike of Contador has resurfaced with a passion in this thread since our previous debate over AC/Froome. Just a simple adjustment for you to move a previously enjoyable escapade to a new location,then engage your usual blunt simple weapon to stir up trouble.Its a shame,alot of your other chat is quite interesting then it all degenerates into a "bait the Contador fans" game for you.Quite disappointing really.:(
User avatar Telmisartan new

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing