Register

Le Tour de France 2013: who will win?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Tour

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2012 12:09

Alberto Contador
62%
Cristopher Froome
25%
Andy Schleck
6%
Vincenzo Nibali
2%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen
2%
Ryder Hesjedal
1%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo
1%
Other (specify)
1%

Total votes : 99

12 Nov 2012 20:52

Pentacycle wrote:All the Contador/Froome talk aside, is anyone giving Valverde a chance to win it?

His post-ban season was excellent, and he'll be even better next year, or at least that's what I'm expecting. The parcours is also very favourable, with fewer TT km's and of course some tough MTF's. He's also got a nice team of helpers with Costa, Quintana(assuming he'll make the Tour team, although I expect him in the Giro), Cobo and Szmyd and Movistar has done some good TTT's this year.

What do you guys think? I'm a bit surprised he doesn't get more than just my vote :(

I don't see him winning with Contador, Froome, and others. Now that he has a GT in his legs I think he could get in the top 5 or maybe a podium. Is it a sure thing that he will do the tour? I actually think it might be better for him to go for the win in the Vuelta and then carry his Vuelta form into worlds.
User avatar Afrank

12 Nov 2012 21:42

Purito dreaming of TdF 2013.
Who would have thought? :D

"Después del doblete Giro-Vuelta las dos últimas temporadas, el líder del Katusha cree que no debe dejar pasar la oportunidad de correr el Tour 2013. "Yo espero correrlo. Ahora en diciembre nos juntamos con todo el equipo de concentración en Italia y vamos a hablarlo. Pero espero que sí porque es muy difícil tener otro Tour con tanta montaña"

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=57120
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

12 Nov 2012 22:14

cineteq wrote:Pero espero que sí porque es muy difícil tener otro Tour con tanta montaña"

lol wtf?

Anyway,
how many contradicting interviews will we read until next April? :o
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

12 Nov 2012 22:25

Eshnar wrote:lol wtf?

Anyway,
how many contradicting interviews will we read until next April? :o
Who knows, in the end maybe KAT has the final say anyway.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

13 Nov 2012 02:37

airstream wrote:
Oh, I remembered one more argument: a rider with one life cannot beat other rider with two in the Tour cos' we know what consequenses getting popped in France is fraught. Though, I won't be surprised if Contador bluffs to the bitter end. The guy truly has no fear. Being busted twice in the Tour would be a new cycling milestone. It would be an instant 5 year prison term ;)

WHEN are you going to take your CRAP to the Clinic where it belongs?????????
You just Can't follow the rules can you????
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

13 Nov 2012 02:56

Pentacycle wrote:All the Contador/Froome talk aside, is anyone giving Valverde a chance to win it?

His post-ban season was excellent, and he'll be even better next year, or at least that's what I'm expecting. The parcours is also very favourable, with fewer TT km's and of course some tough MTF's. He's also got a nice team of helpers with Costa, Quintana(assuming he'll make the Tour team, although I expect him in the Giro), Cobo and Szmyd and Movistar has done some good TTT's this year.
(

I think he could do very well, but probably not the win (I would say only Shleck, Contador, Froome and Nibali could), though Samu, Evans, TJVG, JROD, Pinot, Rolland and Valverde can all podium/ challenge. However he will be hurt by the lack of bonus seconds and the ITT's shall still play a part.

Hopefully Intxausti and Capecchi could also ride. It is a pity Kyrienka is leaving, his mountain train would have been awesome.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

13 Nov 2012 08:06

valverde is considerably less strong than contador and purito so he doesn't even stand a chance of podiuming.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

13 Nov 2012 09:32

cineteq wrote:Purito dreaming of TdF 2013.
Who would have thought? :D

"Después del doblete Giro-Vuelta las dos últimas temporadas, el líder del Katusha cree que no debe dejar pasar la oportunidad de correr el Tour 2013. "Yo espero correrlo. Ahora en diciembre nos juntamos con todo el equipo de concentración en Italia y vamos a hablarlo. Pero espero que sí porque es muy difícil tener otro Tour con tanta montaña"

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=57120

No surprise, really. I hope the folks at Katusha realize that Menchov is done, Clinic issues or not. Their Tour squad was a joke, which obviously reflects poorly on the sponsor.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

13 Nov 2012 11:43

greenedge wrote:I think he could do very well, but probably not the win (I would say only Shleck, Contador, Froome and Nibali could), though Samu, Evans, TJVG, JROD, Pinot, Rolland and Valverde can all podium/ challenge. However he will be hurt by the lack of bonus seconds and the ITT's shall still play a part.

Hopefully Intxausti and Capecchi could also ride. It is a pity Kyrienka is leaving, his mountain train would have been awesome.

Can't see Valverde making the podium. As we have seen before Vuelta performances rarely have a parallels in the Tour even though I thought he did really well in the Vuelta. I think the Vuelta is the only grand tour he could win now or even podium.
movingtarget

13 Nov 2012 14:30

movingtarget wrote:Can't see Valverde making the podium. As we have seen before Vuelta performances rarely have a parallels in the Tour even though I thought he did really well in the Vuelta. I think the Vuelta is the only grand tour he could win now or even podium.

Well, I just hope he can get at least one decent shot at the Tour podium before the end of his career, something he hasn't been able to do since 2008. And now with a full season of racing in his legs I believe he can.

Btw which British riders were in the podium of this year's Tour and the 2011 Vuelta? ;) And if Vuelta performances don't have many parallels with the Tour I'm wondering why Froome isn't first in this poll, with the Vuelta being probably his last GT before next year's Tour? Cobo's just a bad reference, Valverde has proven to be a much more consistent top 10 rider in GT, podiuming in 2 out of his last 3 GT's.
User avatar Pentacycle

13 Nov 2012 18:13

Ryo Hazuki wrote:valverde is considerably less strong than contador and purito so he doesn't even stand a chance of podiuming.

Less strong than Contador, but more consistent than J-Rod. J-Rod seems to always have one or two bad days in every GT. Valverde was certainly the third strongest in the Vuelta for most of the days, but had it where it counted.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

13 Nov 2012 18:19

gustienordic wrote:Less strong than Contador, but more consistent than J-Rod. J-Rod seems to always have one or two bad days in every GT. Valverde was certainly the third strongest in the Vuelta for most of the days, but had it where it counted.

and the third strongest in the vuelta imo doesn't stand a chance to win or podium the tour under normal circumstances
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

13 Nov 2012 18:41

Ryo Hazuki wrote:and the third strongest in the vuelta imo doesn't stand a chance to win or podium the tour under normal circumstances

Do you think that Nibali and Frank S.were better GT riders in 2011 resp.2012 than Alejandro is nowadays?I think he can be on podium even under normal circumstances.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

13 Nov 2012 18:48

ILovecycling wrote:Do you think that Nibali and Frank S.were better GT riders in 2011 resp.2012 than Alejandro is nowadays?I think he can be on podium even under normal circumstances.

They were / are better TDF riders for sure.

The Vuelta is a different kind of "Grand Tour." Guys like Intxausti can finish in the top 10 there.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

13 Nov 2012 19:32

ILovecycling wrote:Do you think that Nibali and Frank S.were better GT riders in 2011 resp.2012 than Alejandro is nowadays?I think he can be on podium even under normal circumstances.

that's why I said under normal circumstances. nibali was lucky this years tour field was horrible and frank was lucky that last year everyone crashed out
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

13 Nov 2012 20:48

Ryo Hazuki wrote:that's why I said under normal circumstances. nibali was lucky this years tour field was horrible and frank was lucky that last year everyone crashed out

Ok,I understand;)
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

13 Nov 2012 22:22

Valverde will be in the mix. He's better than Nibali and Frank Schleck when he's in shape. Nibali is perhaps the most overrated rider at the moment.
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude

13 Nov 2012 23:27

Altitude wrote:Valverde will be in the mix. He's better than Nibali and Frank Schleck when he's in shape. Nibali is perhaps the most overrated rider at the moment.

Hmm. Not sure about Frank. But a fit Valverde is in the mix no doubt. Don't agree about Nibs being overrated. He was the only rider to try and take on Sky TDF 2012 and go and watch some of his rides in Giro 2011.

Nibs: 1st, 2nd(3rd) and 3rd in a GT in consecutive years (Vuelta, Giro, TDF) is pretty impressive stuff to me:)
User avatar ferryman

14 Nov 2012 00:15

Altitude wrote:Valverde will be in the mix. He's better than Nibali and Frank Schleck when he's in shape. Nibali is perhaps the most overrated rider at the moment.

couldn't agree more. remind me of early years of kreuziger, perhaps even worse is nibali's hype.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

14 Nov 2012 01:29

ferryman wrote:Hmm. Not sure about Frank. But a fit Valverde is in the mix no doubt. Don't agree about Nibs being overrated. He was the only rider to try and take on Sky TDF 2012 and go and watch some of his rides in Giro 2011.

Nibs: 1st, 2nd(3rd) and 3rd in a GT in consecutive years (Vuelta, Giro, TDF) is pretty impressive stuff to me:)

You think a fresh Nibali could have matched Contador, Rodriguez, and Valverde in the Vuelta? I don't. He couldn't even drop Wiggins.
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing