Log in:  

Register

Le Tour de France 2013: who will win?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Tour

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2012 12:09

Alberto Contador
61
62%
Cristopher Froome
25
25%
Andy Schleck
6
6%
Vincenzo Nibali
2
2%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen
2
2%
Ryder Hesjedal
1
1%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo
1
1%
Other (specify)
1
1%
 
Total votes : 99

14 Nov 2012 02:52

Ryo Hazuki wrote:couldn't agree more. remind me of early years of kreuziger, perhaps even worse is nibali's hype.


At least Nibali has lived up to his hype a lot more than Kreuziger has. I think Nibali has and is living up to his hype very well.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

14 Nov 2012 09:29

Pentacycle wrote:Well, I just hope he can get at least one decent shot at the Tour podium before the end of his career, something he hasn't been able to do since 2008. And now with a full season of racing in his legs I believe he can.

Btw which British riders were in the podium of this year's Tour and the 2011 Vuelta? ;) And if Vuelta performances don't have many parallels with the Tour I'm wondering why Froome isn't first in this poll, with the Vuelta being probably his last GT before next year's Tour? Cobo's just a bad reference, Valverde has proven to be a much more consistent top 10 rider in GT, podiuming in 2 out of his last 3 GT's.


I was talking about winners of the Tour also winning the Vuelta. Contador only. Vuelta winners like Menchov, Nibali, Heras, Vinokourov, Valverde, Cobo have not been close to winning the Tour. But I take your point. Podium riders in the Vuelta like Evans have also won the Tour and Wiggins who I think finished fourth in the Vuelta ? I am just noting the history of both races in recent times. I still think Froome has some chance in next year's Tour but less chance for Valverde. Valverde has been very consistent of course as has Evans except for 2009 and 2010.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,490
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

14 Nov 2012 10:00

Evans was not consistent in 09 but he still did 2 good rides at the Vuelta and WC. In 2010 he would have had a good season but got sick at the Giro/ crashed at the TDF.
Wiggins finished 3rd last year.
Vino came close to winning the TDF in 03 as well.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,169
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

14 Nov 2012 15:11

greenedge wrote:Evans was not consistent in 09 but he still did 2 good rides at the Vuelta and WC. In 2010 he would have had a good season but got sick at the Giro/ crashed at the TDF.
Wiggins finished 3rd last year.
Vino came close to winning the TDF in 03 as well.


To me Evans was unlucky getting sick at the Giro because he was looking really good, really strong but Basso was very good too. Even though he was in yellow at the Tour I had my doubts even if he had not hurt his elbow. I think fatigue would have beaten him but he was riding well until he crashed and Schleck's and Contador's climbing I think could have been too much for him. Of course he still had great results in 2009 as well. I think the puncture at the Vuelta may have helped motivate him for the World's. Thankfully the ups and downs got ironed out at the Tour in 2011.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,490
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

15 Nov 2012 02:26

greenedge wrote:Evans was not consistent in 09 but he still did 2 good rides at the Vuelta and WC. In 2010 he would have had a good season but got sick at the Giro/ crashed at the TDF.
Wiggins finished 3rd last year.
Vino came close to winning the TDF in 03 as well.


Menchov wasn't too shabby either in 2010. Legitimate 3rd place and was already on his decline after 2009's Giro performance. Menchov also could've had better luck in his earlier years - the shared Rasmussen and Freire green objectives cost him a lot of rider support when he was with Rabobank, and later with Gesink coming aboard as the next big thing didn't help either. And though he was on the decline, not being able to ride in 2011 due to political issues didn't give him a fair chance to prove his legs.
orangerider
Junior Member
 
Posts: 257
Joined: 16 Nov 2011 07:34

15 Nov 2012 07:07

Afrank wrote:At least Nibali has lived up to his hype a lot more than Kreuziger has. I think Nibali has and is living up to his hype very well.


Indeed. You can't put that down to "luck"
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

15 Nov 2012 09:41

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Indeed. You can't put that down to "luck"


of course he's good. but he's not within the top ten best cyclists in the world. the reason he is ranked so high is just luck and lots of it.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

15 Nov 2012 15:51

Ryo Hazuki wrote:of course he's good. but he's not within the top ten best cyclists in the world. the reason he is ranked so high is just luck and lots of it.


Top ten best cyclist in the world,uhm thats interesting.What are yours?
Mine top ten in their category
Cavendish,Greipel,Sagan,Boonen,Cancellara,Wiggins,Rodriguez,Contador,Gilbert,Valverde
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,346
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 12:00
Location: Prague

15 Nov 2012 16:14

orangerider wrote:Menchov wasn't too shabby either in 2010. Legitimate 3rd place and was already on his decline after 2009's Giro performance. Menchov also could've had better luck in his earlier years - the shared Rasmussen and Freire green objectives cost him a lot of rider support when he was with Rabobank, and later with Gesink coming aboard as the next big thing didn't help either. And though he was on the decline, not being able to ride in 2011 due to political issues didn't give him a fair chance to prove his legs.

Gesink worked for Menchov in the Tour 2010, so I don't know what you're talking about.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

16 Nov 2012 00:51

Ryo Hazuki wrote:of course he's good. but he's not within the top ten best cyclists in the world. the reason he is ranked so high is just luck and lots of it.


Luck doesn't play any more a role in Nibali's ranking than it does in any other riders. It is ridiculous to reduce a riders entire results as just because of luck, luck plays a role but it is not the ultimate factor in how a rider does.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

16 Nov 2012 07:22

Ryo Hazuki wrote:of course he's good. but he's not within the top ten best cyclists in the world. the reason he is ranked so high is just luck and lots of it.


He sure finishes in the top ten a lot.
phanatic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Apr 2011 18:39

16 Nov 2012 08:57

So called is a sanctimony, myth, absurdity. At first 'luck' was attached to Wiggins and Froome. Now it is being done with Nibali. The mind boggles. :confused:

I don't like this rider so his results are achieved because of luck!
Image
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

16 Nov 2012 13:08

ILovecycling wrote:Top ten best cyclist in the world,uhm thats interesting.What are yours?
Mine top ten in their category
Cavendish,Greipel,Sagan,Boonen,Cancellara,Wiggins,Rodriguez,Contador,Gilbert,Valverde


cancellara, gilbert, wiggins, contador, andy, froome, purito, samu, valverde, sagan, boonen, cavendish, greipel are all better than nibali imo.

not in order btw, although I think cancellara is number 1
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

16 Nov 2012 13:10

phanatic wrote:He sure finishes in the top ten a lot.


what has that to do with it?
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

16 Nov 2012 13:11

Afrank wrote:Luck doesn't play any more a role in Nibali's ranking than it does in any other riders. It is ridiculous to reduce a riders entire results as just because of luck, luck plays a role but it is not the ultimate factor in how a rider does.


what? you are saying samu is having the same amount of luck as nibali? or a number of others I could say.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

16 Nov 2012 13:11

theyoungest wrote:Gesink worked for Menchov in the Tour 2010, so I don't know what you're talking about.


I guess I must've missed that. pls show me the stages he worked for menchov
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

16 Nov 2012 13:24

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I guess I must've missed that. pls show me the stages he worked for menchov


I clearly recall Gesink riding for Menchov on the Tourmalet stage. I'm almost certain of it. I would think there are others during that year's Tour.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,752
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

16 Nov 2012 13:31

Angliru wrote:I clearly recall Gesink riding for Menchov on the Tourmalet stage. I'm almost certain of it. I would think there are others during that year's Tour.


yes when menchov dropped(hilarious rabo tactics I remember). that was the only stage, he finished with menchov together but I doubt he could've gone any harder. that was all he ever did for menchov that tour. I'm quite certain of. that's why he managed to finish 6th as well.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

16 Nov 2012 13:35

Ryo Hazuki wrote:yes when menchov dropped(hilarious rabo tactics I remember). that was the only stage, he finished with menchov together but I doubt he could've gone any harder. that was all he ever did for menchov that tour. I'm quite certain of. that's why he managed to finish 6th as well.


la madeleine stage says hi
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,127
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

16 Nov 2012 13:51

Parrulo wrote:la madeleine stage says hi


can you show it, because I don't remember it anymore
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dubexcalibur, Eagle, Kazistuta, SeriousSam, SyroboiII and 24 guests

Back to top