Register

Le Tour de France 2013: who will win?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Tour

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2012 12:09

Alberto Contador
62%
Cristopher Froome
25%
Andy Schleck
6%
Vincenzo Nibali
2%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen
2%
Ryder Hesjedal
1%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo
1%
Other (specify)
1%

Total votes : 99

18 Nov 2012 20:58

cineteq wrote:No. But did Contador win 2011 Giro? :rolleyes:

Yes :rolleyes:

Or was it Ferrari-Scarponi?.....
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

18 Nov 2012 21:04

Netserk wrote:Yes :rolleyes:

Nope. I guess Nibali's won 2 GTs!
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

18 Nov 2012 21:16

Netserk wrote:Yes :rolleyes:

how much would u bet that there was no bb contador?
User avatar airstream

18 Nov 2012 21:18

airstream wrote:In short, you think a preparation via the Giro, Burgos and overly concentrated spring season (again, the races were ridden for the result) a better thing despite on such a point doesnt look into account factor of freshness right?

What I think is that you totally choose to not to take into consideration that 6 months away from competition should not be looked at as a positive. I can't recall any rider's preparation for their season's objective being a purposeful avoidance of racing for 6 months.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

18 Nov 2012 21:20

The Hitch wrote:Giro 2011 was Nibalis worst gt? :confused:

And even if it was, he wasnt narrowly beaten, he was absolutely slaughtered. Did he finish above Contador on a single stage?

He finished above on 1st,2nd,3rd,5th,6th,7th,10th and 18th, which makes more than a third of the stages and he even gained 8 seconds on the first TTT

[SIZE="1"]Sorry, I couldn't resist myself making this post[/SIZE]
burning

18 Nov 2012 21:26

Angliru wrote:What I think is that you totally choose to not to take into consideration that 6 months away from competition should not be looked at as a positive. I can't recall any rider's preparation for their season's objective being a purposeful avoidance of racing for 6 months.

Not, I just don't treat this only like a negative thing. The medal has 2 sides
User avatar airstream

18 Nov 2012 21:29

The Hitch wrote:Giro 2011 was Nibalis worst gt? :confused:

And even if it was, he wasnt narrowly beaten, he was absolutely slaughtered. Did he finish above Contador on a single stage?

without considering the 2011 vuelta (intentionally i was concretizing 'competitive') - no doubt. Not by result surely, but by the level of expectations, this is the case. Back then Vincenzo disappointed by and large despite on 3rd spot
User avatar airstream

18 Nov 2012 21:53

cineteq wrote:No. But did Contador win 2011 Giro? :rolleyes:

yes. I believe the official wording is that he won and it was taken away. he still won. What you are trying to get at would be something more like " he is no longer the winner" but it is incorrect to say that he did not win (past tense).

And unlike the tour the year before, he had it taken away on a technicality and not for breaking rules.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

18 Nov 2012 22:00

airstream wrote:Not, I just don't treat this only like a negative thing. The medal has 2 sides

no it doesn't have 2 sides. unless you can come up with an(other) example of a rider that hasn't been in compeition for 8 months and then still managed to win a gt :rolleyes: or some other huge race if you like
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

18 Nov 2012 22:01

cineteq wrote:Nope. I guess Nibali's won 2 GTs!

you mean the same rider that has bene seen with ferrari near etna? :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

18 Nov 2012 22:01

The Hitch wrote:yes. I believe the official wording is that he won and it was taken away.
I thought so! Thus officially he didn't slaughter anyone. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

18 Nov 2012 22:04

Ryo Hazuki wrote:you mean the same rider that has bene seen with ferrari near etna? :rolleyes:
He's sicilian, so it makes sense he'd drive his ferrari around the volcano roads. ;)
User avatar cineteq

18 Nov 2012 22:07

Ryo Hazuki wrote:no it doesn't have 2 sides. unless you can come up with an(other) example of a rider that hasn't been in compeition for 8 months and then still managed to win a gt :rolleyes: or some other huge race if you like

there's nobody to compare to. gonna expect 10 year more until another really big fish to be popped to make conclusion.:)
User avatar airstream

18 Nov 2012 22:12

cineteq wrote:I thought so! Thus officially he didn't slaughter anyone. :D

"Officially" doesnt care for the manner of the victory. What we refer to when we use metaphors like "slaughter" is not the latest wikipedia ranking, but what we saw on the road.

I dont know what you saw, I (and everyone else it seems) saw Contador slaughter Nibali at the 2011 Giro.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

18 Nov 2012 22:25

The Hitch wrote:"Officially" doesnt care for the manner of the victory. What we refer to when we use metaphors like "slaughter" is not the latest wikipedia ranking, but what we saw on the road.

I dont know what you saw, I (and everyone else it seems) saw Contador slaughter Nibali at the 2011 Giro.
After Landis won the 2006 Tour what did you see, a real winner? <---- Rhetorical
User avatar cineteq

18 Nov 2012 22:31

airstream wrote:there's nobody to compare to. gonna expect 10 year more until another really big fish to be popped to make conclusion.:)

In other words your argument has no foundation and you're flying by the seat of your pants.;)
User avatar Angliru

18 Nov 2012 22:45

Angliru wrote:In other words your argument has no foundation and you're flying by the seat of your pants.;)

To poke in the fact with zero alternatives (just because of absence of anological experience) is not a problem.
User avatar airstream

18 Nov 2012 23:07

Angliru wrote:What I think is that you totally choose to not to take into consideration that 6 months away from competition should not be looked at as a positive. I can't recall any rider's preparation for their season's objective being a purposeful avoidance of racing for 6 months.

maybe you can recall any gt rider who had a purposeful avoidance of racing for 6 months or a rider who could go back so easily after getting caught in GT due to political reasons? I know only Contador and Basso. Others hit black list. Basso registered in Mapei center and laid out his blood values in the 2009 Giro. Where Contador registered is unknown, but I have clear assumptions on what he could have answered if one had asked him to show blood numbers ;)

no, i just find it odd towrite that tight fight between 2 off these 6 months entirely. from outside perspective, it looks like an attempt to justify such a tough victory while swimming in sweet memories of 2009.
User avatar airstream

18 Nov 2012 23:30

airstream wrote:maybe you can recall any gt rider who had a purposeful avoidance of racing for 6 months or a rider who could go back so easily after getting caught in GT due to political reasons? I know only Contador and Basso. Others hit black list. Basso registered in Mapei center and laid out his blood values in the 2009 Giro. Where Contador registered is unknown, but I have clear assumptions on what he could have answered if one had asked him to show blood numbers ;)

no, i just find it odd towrite that tight fight between 2 off these 6 months entirely. from outside perspective, it looks like an attempt to justify such a tough victory while swimming in sweet memories of 2009.

You do realize that clinic related references are not allowed in the Pro Racing forum? In Contador's case you continually seem to simply ignore this rule and get away with it for whatever reasons. It's really getting tiresome.
User avatar Angliru

19 Nov 2012 05:24

Angliru wrote:You do realize that clinic related references are not allowed in the Pro Racing forum? In Contador's case you continually seem to simply ignore this rule and get away with it for whatever reasons. It's really getting tiresome.

Do you want to belittle significance of these numbers and their contribution in Vuelta victory or what? :rolleyes:
User avatar airstream

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing