Register

Le Tour de France 2013: who will win?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Tour

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2012 12:09

Alberto Contador
62%
Cristopher Froome
25%
Andy Schleck
6%
Vincenzo Nibali
2%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen
2%
Ryder Hesjedal
1%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo
1%
Other (specify)
1%

Total votes : 99

20 Nov 2012 14:50

froome worked for wiggins in angliru? there is no way to work on angliru. you each ride your own tempo. froome was no doubt better than wiggins and it showed. wiggins dropped. still cobo was a lot better
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

20 Nov 2012 15:12

Today i think Contador is over Froome in the mountain. But not as all the forum imagine. Only a superlittllebit. Also Froome is TTing better than Alberto. After them i see Thibaut Pinot (the best climber in La Toussuire, the best in Porrentruy and the third in Peyragudes stage in this year TDF. Arguments: Nice route for him, More experience, development as climber, specific warm up, not as this year) Later a second group of climbers compose of J Rod, Nibali and Valverde. ¿Andy Schleck? We'll see. I hope a triumphal come back, at the level of 2011. But IMO he will be as much in the second group of climbers. Too much time off.
User avatar Jason_Mercier

20 Nov 2012 15:29

airstream wrote:The fact that Froome didn't compete against them doesn't mean he is weaker. Cobo was magical in that Vuelta. Grande Bisonte rode Angliru faster than Contador in 2008. In addition Froome, did a huge chunk of dirty work for Wiggins. Froome worked up to the collar back then. The Vuelta was a titanic effort from him.

Or course it doesn't, but the point was that his vuelta ride doesn't give us that much indication of where he is currently at in climbing compared with guys like Contador. I'm willing to bet that had we seen Contador at the Vuelta or a in-form Schleck, or even a in-form Purito they would have been right up there battling it out on angliru with Cobo and Froome.
User avatar Afrank

20 Nov 2012 15:30

How exactly do people conclude that Froome is a better TT'er than Contador?
infeXio

20 Nov 2012 15:33

shades1 wrote:i find it strange that most posters in this thread pretty much right off any chances of andy schleck , it may be asking a lot to come back from the injury and get himself at his peak again but if he can surely his chance to win this race is huge ,

No his chance is not huge cos there is Alberto. I believe Andy has about 25% chance which is not "huge". (Alberto 50% Froome 20%)

hes only 27 and compare that to some multiple winners over the years that is still very young in cycling terms and there is still a lot of room for improvement to go with his unquestionable natural talent.

Has not shown a lot of improvement since 2010 though.

i honestly dont understand the dislike for this guy across this forum {not just this thread}

He's an arrogant whiny spoiled brat who only races 2 races a year. No that's not gonna get you a lot of love.

, he is one of the most exciting riders in recent times and with the world of cycling pretty much on its knees through bad press i would have thought they need this guy back to his best .

Andy back to his best won't change anything about that.

its probably a huge ask for him to get back to the level he once was but he does not come across as a quitter to me and im confident that come july all you haters might finally give this guy some credit .

:D :D Well to me he does. :D :D
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 Nov 2012 15:36

thank you shades for the good laugh
i want andy to his best too but those reasons ...lol
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

20 Nov 2012 15:37

jens_attacks wrote:thank you shades for the good laugh
i want andy to his best too but those reasons ...lol

Yea I LOL'd :D :D
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 Nov 2012 15:39

infeXio wrote:How exactly do people conclude that Froome is a better TT'er than Contador?

Olympic games. Besançon. I wrote he is Tting better, but not because is a better TTer than Contador, due to other reasons. The same reasons as Wiggins has become the best Tter of the world when three years ago he couldnt dream beat Cancellara.

20 Nov 2012 15:41

I still don't get the reasoning behind it, but so be it
infeXio

20 Nov 2012 15:42

But that's reality. I dont ignore it like others. The people who dream Contador, AS and even Purito are super ahead the two Sky because of the 2010 Tour (3 years ago next season) or the 2012 Vuelta when Froome was clearly overcooked.

20 Nov 2012 15:53

Amethyst wrote:on the climb itself it wouldnt have been such a gap with samu tho. strong effort by him too.

I believe it was a minute and he got 50 s back on the descnet and Contador and Andy, now carrying Moreau were in site, but he just missed it and ended up losing the minute again and more.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

20 Nov 2012 15:54

Jason_Mercier wrote:But that's reality. I dont ignore it like others. The people who dream Contador, AS and even Purito are super ahead the two Sky because of the 2010 Tour (3 years ago next season) or the 2012 Vuelta when Froome was clearly overcooked.

How many itts did Alberto and Dog race against each other? And in how many did Alberto do better? Right.
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 Nov 2012 15:58

Jason_Mercier wrote:"The fact that Froome didn't compete against them doesn't mean he is weaker. Cobo was magical in that Vuelta. Grande Bisonte rode Angliru faster than Contador in 2008. In addition Froome, did a huge chunk of dirty work for Wiggins. Froome worked up to the collar back then. The Vuelta was a titanic effort from him."

+1

I'm not saying that Froome is weaker, just that, as has been often repeated, he is unproven against what is commonly considered the reigning champs of the mountains, Alberto and Andy. We'll see. I'd love to see him give them a battle although I have my doubts about Andy returning to his previous level in 2013. I think more likely in 2014.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

20 Nov 2012 15:58

The ITT of La Vuelta. And Alberto did it better because Froome was overcooked. Before 2011 Froome wasnt Froome.

20 Nov 2012 16:00

Jason_Mercier wrote:The ITT of La Vuelta. And Alberto did it better because Froome was overcooked. Before 2011 Froome wasnt Froome.

So...? Maybe Alberto wasn't at his best either :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 Nov 2012 16:02

Jason_Mercier wrote:But that's reality. I dont ignore it like others. The people who dream Contador, AS and even Purito are super ahead the two Sky because of the 2010 Tour (3 years ago next season) or the 2012 Vuelta when Froome was clearly overcooked.

Who has used the 2012 Vuelta as evidence of Contador and Purito's superiority?:confused:
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

20 Nov 2012 16:03

The "reality" is that time trialing will hardly matter in next year's TDF. Barring crashes, echelons and whatnot it is quite likely that the very best and most consistent climbers will finish on top. Froome showed that he was a bit stronger than Nibali and Wiggins in that regard. But that's about it.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

20 Nov 2012 16:06

LaFlorecita wrote:So...? Maybe Alberto wasn't at his best either :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Contador was a lot better form wise than Froome was at the Vuelta. Their performances in the TT there doesn't mean much because Froomes form had started it's downward trend due to so much racing.
User avatar Afrank

20 Nov 2012 16:10

Lol, so much racing. The guy was invisible until the Dauphiné.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

20 Nov 2012 16:12

El Pistolero wrote:Lol, so much racing. The guy was invisible until the Dauphiné.

A 3 week grand tour takes a lot out of you. you go try it, and tell us how great you feel after 3 weeks of racing. Froome was fatigued at the Vuelta, this is a known fact now.
User avatar Afrank

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing