Register

Le Tour de France 2013: who will win?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Tour

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2012 12:09

Alberto Contador
62%
Cristopher Froome
25%
Andy Schleck
6%
Vincenzo Nibali
2%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen
2%
Ryder Hesjedal
1%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo
1%
Other (specify)
1%

Total votes : 99

20 Nov 2012 21:11

Afrank wrote:A 3 week grand tour takes a lot out of you. you go try it, and tell us how great you feel after 3 weeks of racing. Froome was fatigued at the Vuelta, this is a known fact now.

Plenty of guys do the Tour-Vuelta. Of course he wasn't on top form, but this guy didn't race a lot this year. He basically did nothing and then hit form out of nowhere at the Dauphiné. Contador on the other hand didn't race for many months(nothing after the Tour in 2011 with only San Luis and Eneco Tour before the Vuelta) and still won the Vuelta. You think that doesn't affect your performance level?

Sastre won the Tour and got third at the Vuelta in the same year for example. I was more impressed with his performance that year than Froome's performance this year.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

20 Nov 2012 21:18

Which team will be stronger? Sky or SBTB? Let's make two fives: Froome, Henao, Urán, Kiriyenka, EBH. Contador, Kreuziger, Roche, Majka, CAnkerS. Of course Sky has more alternatives: Locke, Cataldo, Rogers, Porte, Sivtsov, Dombrowski... But IMO SBTB is no far in a nine team.
User avatar Jason_Mercier

20 Nov 2012 21:24

Jason_Mercier wrote:Which team will be stronger? Sky or SBTB? Let's make two fives: Froome, Henao, Urán, Kiriyenka, EBH. Contador, Kreuziger, Roche, Majka, CAnkerS. Of course Sky has more alternatives: Locke, Cataldo, Rogers, Porte, Sivtsov, Dombrowski... But IMO SBTB is no far in a nine team.

At the Tour it's important to have a strong roulers / flat riders as well, not only climbers ;) That's why Thomas is a cert in the team ( EBH obviosuly as well ). Great flat rider, and climbs quite well. Same for Rogers / Porte / Knees ( very underestimated doemstique ). Sky will have more rounded team, but they will be both similarly in mountains.

What's the point of missing Wiggins in that list and putting for example Roche for SAxo though ? Obviously Wiggins is stronger imo, even after Giro he should. 2 Colombians will not do the Tour, Uran only I think as well.

Majka might not do the Tour and get his lead at Giro, if they will be WT.
Gloin22

20 Nov 2012 21:33

The fact that Nibali wants to carry a superteam to Italy will imply that Sky should distribute their strenght. And that of course benefits Contador. Yeah i agree. Sky has a more all rounder team.
User avatar Jason_Mercier

20 Nov 2012 21:50

Jason_Mercier wrote:Which team will be stronger? Sky or SBTB? Let's make two fives: Froome, Henao, Urán, Kiriyenka, EBH. Contador, Kreuziger, Roche, Majka, CAnkerS. Of course Sky has more alternatives: Locke, Cataldo, Rogers, Porte, Sivtsov, Dombrowski... But IMO SBTB is no far in a nine team.

that's no match. sky is WAYYYY stronger than saxo
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

20 Nov 2012 21:51

Jason_Mercier wrote:The fact that Nibali wants to carry a superteam to Italy will imply that Sky should distribute their strenght. And that of course benefits Contador. Yeah i agree. Sky has a more all rounder team.

not ata ll. since sky can dish out two absolute a teams in both gt's without having any rider do the double
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

20 Nov 2012 21:54

Ryo Hazuki wrote:that's no match. sky is WAYYYY stronger than saxo

WAYYYY stronger yea sure ryo keep dreaming
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 Nov 2012 22:25

Example of possible sky team selection:

Giro:
Wiggins
Henao
Uran
Cataldo
Kiryienka
Lopez
Dombrowski
Stannard
Pate

Tour:
Froome
Wiggins
Porte
Rogers
Siutsou
EBH
Knees
Thomas

Talk about depth in team.. :eek:
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

20 Nov 2012 22:27

Lol, Dombrowski already getting the superstar treatment? None of those domestiques are going to help you much once Contador attacks anyway.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

20 Nov 2012 22:29

El Pistolero wrote:Lol, Dombrowski already getting the superstar treatment? None of those domestiques are going to help you much once Contador attacks anyway.

Doesn't change the fact that Sky's team is the strongest.
User avatar Netserk

20 Nov 2012 22:34

And the A squad on Bank-Bank:

Contador
Kreuziger
Majka
Hernandez/Bennati
CAS
Roche
Paulinho
Tosatto
User avatar Netserk

20 Nov 2012 22:57

Netserk wrote:And the A squad on Bank-Bank:

Contador
Kreuziger
Majka
Hernandez/Bennati
CAS
Roche
Paulinho
Tosatto

That's the strongest support Contador has ever had by absolutely miles, given that when he was on the same team as Armstrong, the rest were very much Armstrong's support riders than his.

I'm actually sort of curious about what use Contador will have for them. It's not like he needs a mountain train. His rivals would probably benefit more than him if these guys set some strong, metronomic, pace. I'm guessing that he'll be sending some of those high level climbers off up the road quite a lot.
Zinoviev Letter

20 Nov 2012 22:58

LaFlorecita wrote:WAYYYY stronger yea sure ryo keep dreaming

you give woman such a bad name. it's pathetic really. you remind me of those idiot girls that would be screaming at a concert.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

20 Nov 2012 23:08

Ryo Hazuki wrote:you give woman such a bad name. it's pathetic really. you remind me of those idiot girls that would be screaming at a concert.
Oh it's tuesday night...wed. morning...is it troll night? This is the weakest statement in a while by far. Hope she doesn't take it personally. :rolleyes:
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

20 Nov 2012 23:12

El Pistolero wrote:Plenty of guys do the Tour-Vuelta. Of course he wasn't on top form, but this guy didn't race a lot this year. He basically did nothing and then hit form out of nowhere at the Dauphiné. Contador on the other hand didn't race for many months(nothing after the Tour in 2011 with only San Luis and Eneco Tour before the Vuelta) and still won the Vuelta. You think that doesn't affect your performance level?

Sastre won the Tour and got third at the Vuelta in the same year for example. I was more impressed with his performance that year than Froome's performance this year.

Read my last post I made before the one you quoted. Of course not having much racing days affected Contador, I never said it didn't. But racing the Tour as domestique had a worse affect on Froomes form than not enough racing had on Contadors form.
User avatar Afrank

20 Nov 2012 23:20

Afrank wrote:But racing the Tour as domestique had a worse affect on Froomes form than not enough racing had on Contadors form.
How can you support that? :confused: Better be good. :)
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

20 Nov 2012 23:23

Afrank wrote:Read my last post I made before the one you quoted. Of course not having much racing days affected Contador, I never said it didn't. But racing the Tour as domestique had a worse affect on Froomes form than not enough racing had on Contadors form.

Where's the proof for that? Would Froome have won the Vuelta had he been in Contador's shoes? Who knows... Normally a rider doesn't do well in his first big race when he comes back after a ban. And remember: Contador had barely raced since the 2011 Tour, so it might as well have been a one year ban.

User avatar El Pistolero

21 Nov 2012 00:24

cineteq wrote:How can you support that? :confused: Better be good. :)

El Pistolero wrote:Where's the proof for that? Would Froome have won the Vuelta had he been in Contador's shoes? Who knows... Normally a rider doesn't do well in his first big race when he comes back after a ban. And remember: Contador had barely raced since the 2011 Tour, so it might as well have been a one year ban.

Really? It was pretty obvious in the Vuelta that Froome was fatigued and his form on a downward trend. And Contador got better the further into the Vuelta they went. One of them was suffering from lack of race days, the other from too much racing prior to Vuelta. It's pretty obvious that racing the tour had more of a negative effect on Froomes form and chances in the Vuelta then not enough racing had on Contadors form and chances in the Vuelta.

I'm not saying Froome had he not done the tour would have beaten Contador in the Vuleta, but he wouldn't have been 10 minutes back.
User avatar Afrank

21 Nov 2012 00:29

Zinoviev Letter wrote:That's the strongest support Contador has ever had by absolutely miles, given that when he was on the same team as Armstrong, the rest were very much Armstrong's support riders than his.

I'm actually sort of curious about what use Contador will have for them. It's not like he needs a mountain train. His rivals would probably benefit more than him if these guys set some strong, metronomic, pace. I'm guessing that he'll be sending some of those high level climbers off up the road quite a lot.

Contador might not need them, but when it comes to the TDF Contador leaves no stone unturned.

I dont think he will attack every mountain stage like 2011 giro and 2012 vuelta, He will attack on 1 maybe 2 stages to break everyone, supplement the gap to andy anyway in the tts, then the train will be there in case he needs to bring Andy back on some new wannabe Mercx attempts in the high mountain stages, or if he feels good and wants a high pace on early climbs, theyll be there just in case.

If he is on form, it might turn out that the train was a total waste of money and he could have won without them, but he does not want to take that risk.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

21 Nov 2012 00:59

Afrank wrote:Really? It was pretty obvious in the Vuelta that Froome was fatigued and his form on a downward trend. And Contador got better the further into the Vuelta they went. One of them was suffering from lack of race days, the other from too much racing prior to Vuelta. It's pretty obvious that racing the tour had more of a negative effect on Froomes form and chances in the Vuelta then not enough racing had on Contadors form and chances in the Vuelta.

I'm not saying Froome had he not done the tour would have beaten Contador in the Vuleta, but he wouldn't have been 10 minutes back.
It's pretty obvious? Tired from the Tour? You're repeating yourself. Think about it, how much effort did Froome put in the Tour?. :confused: Gesink finished 2 minutes back from Froome, and he had a good excused to finish 6th. Try again maybe? :)
User avatar cineteq

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing