Log in:  

Register

Le Tour de France 2013: who will win?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Tour

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2012 12:09

Alberto Contador
61
62%
Cristopher Froome
25
25%
Andy Schleck
6
6%
Vincenzo Nibali
2
2%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen
2
2%
Ryder Hesjedal
1
1%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo
1
1%
Other (specify)
1
1%
 
Total votes : 99

21 Nov 2012 01:46

cineteq wrote:It's pretty obvious? Tired from the Tour? You're repeating yourself. Think about it, how much effort did Froome put in the Tour?. :confused: Gesink finished 2 minutes back from Froome, and he had a good excused to finish 6th. Try again maybe? :)


I don't understand the confusion on this. Froome was fatigued in the Vuelta, before the Vuelta he raced Romandie, Dauphine, the Tour, and the Olympics. Racing a lot is what causes fatigue in a rider. So Froome was fatigued in the Vuelta because of the racing he did right before entering it in the Olympics, Tour, and Dauphine (can also be included).

Why are you denying Froome was fatigued? Isn't this something that has been accepted by everyone? Unless you think Contador (a Contador that wasn't even in top form) is just naturally 10 minutes stronger than Froome?

Also Gesink is far below Froome's level.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,386
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

21 Nov 2012 02:02

Afrank wrote:Why are you denying Froome was fatigued? Isn't this something that has been accepted by everyone?
Based on what? Accepted by everyone? Hint: see Valverde's season.

Afrank wrote:Unless you think Contador (a Contador that wasn't even in top form) is just naturally 10 minutes stronger than Froome?
Contador was in top form, thus he won a GT.

Afrank wrote:Also Gesink is far below Froome's level.
I'm gonna let a Dutchie answer this. If none comes forward, I will. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,609
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

21 Nov 2012 02:29

cineteq wrote:Based on what? Accepted by everyone? Hint: see Valverde's season.


Now your just trolling, Froome entered the Vuelta as one of the contenders and looked good at first, then he got worse and worse the further into the race he went. Anybody who watched the Vuleta could tell that his form was on a downward slope. As for Valverde, he was coming back from a ban, he needed a GT in his legs. And what did he do at the tour? The only time he was on the front was when he won on Peyragudes. He finished 42 minutes back in 20th place.

Contador was in top form, thus he won a GT.


Yeah, spending 6 months out of competition gets you in great form :rolleyes:. Did you even watch the Vuelta? He didn't have the endurance to maintain his attacks, it was only thanks to Fuente de that he won, and Rodriguez came dangerously close to beating him. If he was in top form he would have won like he did in Giro 2011.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,386
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

21 Nov 2012 02:43

Valverde rode the Tour full gas?

Froome's 2nd and 4th are obviously much better than Valverde's 20whatever and 2nd.

If Valverde tried as hard as Froome in the Tour it would be 5th and 20whatever.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,776
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

21 Nov 2012 02:48

Afrank wrote:Now your just trolling, Froome entered the Vuelta as one of the contenders and looked good at first, then he got worse and worse the further into the race he went. Anybody who watched the Vuleta could tell that his form was on a downward slope.
Troll? You sound like broken record, repeating yourself. Sorry. :o

Afrank wrote:As for Valverde, he was coming back from a ban, he needed a GT in his legs. And what did he do at the tour? The only time he was on the front was when he won on Peyragudes. He finished 42 minutes back in 20th place.
LOL. But did you happen to watch stage 6? Just sayin'.

Afrank wrote:Yeah, spending 6 months out of competition gets you in great form :rolleyes:. Did you even watch the Vuelta? He didn't have the endurance to maintain his attacks, it was only thanks to Fuente de that he won, and Rodriguez came dangerously close to beating him. If he was in top form he would have won like he did in Giro 2011.
I have news for you, that was Contador in top form. Learn it. Did you know by any chance that Contador was DQ'ed from Giro 2011? Do you want me to tell you why? :rolleyes:
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,609
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

21 Nov 2012 03:14

cineteq wrote:Troll? You sound like broken record, repeating yourself. Sorry. :o


And you have yet provide any meaningful argument that Froome wasn't fatigued at the Vuelta.

LOL. But did you happen to watch stage 6? Just sayin'.


Did you happen to see stage 7, 11, 16, 17, and any other stage with a catorgized climb? Froome finished 2nd while working for Wiggins. Where did Valverde finish? 20th, 42 minutes back (and he wasn't working for anyone). Sorry but Valverde did no where near the same amount of work that Froome did.

I have news for you, that was Contador in top form. Learn it. Did you know by any chance that Contador was DQ'ed from Giro 2011? Do you want me to tell you why? :rolleyes:


Now you want to bring up the clinic :rolleyes:. He had that result taken away because according to his backdated ban he shouldn't have been there.

You can stop this useless train of thought any time. The facts are Contador wasn't in top shape because of a lack of racing days, Froome was fatigued do to too much racing prior to the Vuelta.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,386
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

21 Nov 2012 03:15

cineteq wrote:
Contador was in top form, thus he won a GT.



Lol what stupid logic.

cineteq wrote: Did you know by any chance that Contador was DQ'ed from Giro 2011? Do you want me to tell you why? :rolleyes:


Go on.


I have news for you, that was Contador in top form. Learn it.


you are like those drug addicts on the street shouting that the world is about to.end. "because i say so". Difference is no one actually believes you.

Do you think anyone is going to.believe your unexplained theories to heart just because you order them" learn it"
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,148
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

21 Nov 2012 03:23

cineteq wrote:Troll? You sound like broken record, repeating yourself. Sorry.


Afrank wrote:
And you have yet provide any meaningful argument that Froome wasn't fatigued at the Vuelta.



cineteq wrote:
I have news for you, that was Contador in top form. Learn it. Did you know by any chance that Contador was DQ'ed from Giro 2011? Do you want me to tell you why? :rolleyes:



Afrank wrote:
You can stop this useless train of thought any time. The facts are Contador wasn't in top shape because of a lack of racing days, Froome was fatigued do to too much racing prior to the Vuelta.

Image
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,148
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

21 Nov 2012 06:44

The Hitch wrote:If he is on form, it might turn out that the train was a total waste of money and he could have won without them, but he does not want to take that risk.


Netserk wrote:And the A squad on Bank-Bank:

Contador
Kreuziger
Majka
Hernandez/Bennati
CAS
Roche
Paulinho
Tosatto


Morkov (good in a TTT), Zaugg (who i love) and Nicki Sorensen as well. Also his best buddy- Noval.

Couldn't some of those train riders go to other races as well- Majka and Kreuziger to Giro.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,288
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

21 Nov 2012 06:44

Jason_Mercier wrote:In La Toussuire let him go? In Peyragudes stage when he attacked? Pinot didnt take any important advantages due to Sky let him go. Maybe only in Porrentruy stage, not more than 1 minute.


Pinot? No doubt. The stage wasn't a priority for Sky. If Thibaut had attacked without Nibali and VdB, Sky would have done nothing. It is approximately like Rujano on the Etna or Van Endert in the Pyrenees last year. When Rujano made his move, the tempo wasn't going to increase until Contador attacked. Pure tactics. Classical plot.

[quote="'El Pistolero'"]Plenty of guys do the Tour-Vuelta. Of course he wasn't on top form, but this guy didn't race a lot this year. He basically did nothing and then hit form out of nowhere at the Dauphiné]
It could and it did, but obviously not that much like in case of Froome. One more trait is Contador never needed the time to jump into shape since Bruyneel times. Even after continuous breaks he usually goes back on the highest level and a bit later on a victorious one. It is the only rider with this characteristic feature.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

21 Nov 2012 06:50

Gloin22 wrote:Same for Rogers / Porte / Knees ( very underestimated doemstique ).


Jason_Mercier wrote:Which team will be stronger? Sky or SBTB? Let's make two fives: Froome, Henao, Urán, Kiriyenka, EBH. Contador, Kreuziger, Roche, Majka, CAnkerS. Of course Sky has more alternatives: Locke, Cataldo, Rogers, Porte, Sivtsov, Dombrowski... But IMO SBTB is no far in a nine team.


Lopez as well. If you say Dombrowski Boswell should also be mentioned but i doubt either would be riding the TDF or Giro- the Vuelta would be better for them (if it is like this years) as it would have more climbs and they would probably be more adjusted.

Pate is also underrated- he just did not get a look into the TDF squad.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,288
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

21 Nov 2012 07:10

Netserk wrote:Doesn't change the fact that Sky's team is the strongest.


It doesn't but equally it doesn't change the fact that they will likely be left chasing shadows when Contador seriously goes. And, in the interest of fairness, when Andy counters or goes himself;)
User avatar ferryman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,617
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 23:43
Location: LostinFife

21 Nov 2012 07:39

Planches de Belles Filles was ridden so fast that Contador and Schleck would have had to give a cooperative Verbier wattage in order to try to get away on there which is not very likely as it were. However people have no doubt they would attacked successfully. Honestly, while watching that stage I was wondering if it was possible to attack there at all. On Сroix de Fer Sky even without Froome neutralized Evans who was relatively fresh after 90 km of the stage and went all or nothing. To say that Froome or Nibali is a second sort of climbers is not very logical. The contention got tougher on the climbs in comparison to '09 and '10, one should admit this.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

21 Nov 2012 07:42

cineteq wrote:Oh it's tuesday night...wed. morning...is it troll night? This is the weakest statement in a while by far. Hope she doesn't take it personally. :rolleyes:


Of course not :D
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

21 Nov 2012 07:51

Ferminal wrote:Valverde rode the Tour full gas?

Froome's 2nd and 4th are obviously much better than Valverde's 20whatever and 2nd.

If Valverde tried as hard as Froome in the Tour it would be 5th and 20whatever.


Something very close to full gas. He did everything he could without considering TT's maybe. Valverde capitulated only on Toussuire. The rest stages are overcome pretty strongly. Anyways he was riding the first GT after suspension and it was Tour with its special requirements. Moreover, in recent history no one performed in the Vuelta after the Tour so good like him. 15 (?) and 2 places is not so impressive as 1/3 (Sastre) and 6/4 (Rodriguez), but it is just amazing what Alex did.
The Hitch wrote:Lol what stupid logic

Your logic is other rider in top shape can not be equal to Contador in top shape just cuz this is Contador. Not too smart as well.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

21 Nov 2012 08:52

airstream wrote:Something very close to full gas. He did everything he could without considering TT's maybe. Valverde capitulated only on Toussuire. The rest stages are overcome pretty strongly. Anyways he was riding the first GT after suspension and it was Tour with its special requirements. Moreover, in recent history no one performed in the Vuelta after the Tour so good like him. 15 (?) and 2 places is not so impressive as 1/3 (Sastre) and 6/4 (Rodriguez), but it is just amazing what Alex did.


So Valverde, on top form, riding at his limit, wouldn't have been in the lead group on any mountain stage in the Tour?

My point is that comparing Valverde and Froome's Tour-Vuelta is ridiculous because they prioritised different events and hence why Froome was far better in the Tour and Valverde in the Vuelta. The "Valverde wasn't tired in the Vuelta so why would Froome" is false for this reason.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,776
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

21 Nov 2012 09:19

Ferminal wrote:So Valverde, on top form, riding at his limit, wouldn't have been in the lead group on any mountain stage in the Tour?

My point is that comparing Valverde and Froome's Tour-Vuelta is ridiculous because they prioritised different events and hence why Froome was far better in the Tour and Valverde in the Vuelta. The "Valverde wasn't tired in the Vuelta so why would Froome" is false for this reason.

IMO Valverde rather rode both GT's like sort of experiment and observed how he succeeded. As far as I remember a decision to ride the Vuelta was made shortly before the race? Or you think he prepared for the Vuelta in the Tour? The thing is no matter how Valverde was going Froome gave more effort in the Tour.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

21 Nov 2012 09:24

airstream wrote:IMO Valverde rather rode both GT's like sort of experiment and observed how he succeeded. As far as I remember a decision to ride the Vuelta was made shortly before the race? Or you think he prepared for the Vuelta in the Tour? The thing is no matter how Valverde was going Froome gave more effort in the Tour.


I think Valverde planned to get a good result in the Tour but early events made that impossible. So he turned it down a notch in the Tour (except for the stage win) and set himself on being at his best for the Vuelta. Something like Menchov in 2007 or Evans in 2009.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,776
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

21 Nov 2012 09:37

Ferminal wrote:Valverde rode the Tour full gas?

Froome's 2nd and 4th are obviously much better than Valverde's 20whatever and 2nd.

If Valverde tried as hard as Froome in the Tour it would be 5th and 20whatever.


I agree. Once Valverde dropped enough time to realise he would not make the podium he just concerned himself with getting a stage win which he did and was probably already thinking of the Vuelta. I think it was a smart move. He was aiming high before the Tour but decided to forego a reasonable ride in the Tour and go for the Vuelta. But it was obviously good training for him as he rode a great race in the Vuelta. I did not expect him to do so well.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,876
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

21 Nov 2012 10:34

airstream wrote:Your logic is other rider in top shape can not be equal to Contador in top shape just cuz this is Contador. Not too smart as well.


Ever heard of Darwin? Some are just stronger than others. When a lion fights a gazelle the lion wins every time. Yet what you are arguing is that if the lion hasn't fought a gazelle in a while we have to assume the gazelle has grown claws and teeth. and that we are stupid to say otherwise.

Did indurain or.hinault or merckx win 1 gt then step aside. Or did they keep winning?

The strong win and continue to win. You know why?

Cos they are ****ing stronger.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,148
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: burning, Dazed and Confused, rafaelalencar, thehook and 9 guests

Back to top