Register

Le Tour de France 2013: who will win?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Tour

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2012 12:09

Alberto Contador
62%
Cristopher Froome
25%
Andy Schleck
6%
Vincenzo Nibali
2%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen
2%
Ryder Hesjedal
1%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo
1%
Other (specify)
1%

Total votes : 99

22 Nov 2012 11:29

cineteq wrote:Dear Parrulo,

Your buddy Hitch has proven nothing. All he's done is quote a bunch of stuff, must of the time out of context, for his convenience. Yet the essence of what it was quoted I stand for.

What I stated was my own opinion. Right or wrong is my opinion. I am entitled to my opinion. Last time I checked this was called a Forum.

If you have a personal vendetta because I called you out few times in the past for your behavior as a moderator, fine. As you know, there is a thread in the clinic (unless it's been deleted) where your behaviour was discussed by other posters and yours truly. Btw, we waited for you to participate but you never replied to our comments. Did you get a warning for that?

If you decide to call me troll and yet you decide to ignore (selectively) the Hitch's abuse to others, fine.

Do what you have to do. And I'll do what I need to do.

Over, and out.

Its a nice tactic to try and isolate the opposition and now.claim that it is just the big bad hitch getting his panties in a twist over innocent cineteq.

To extent i admire the strategy.

But the reality is the over the last 4 or.5 pages netserk, parullo, la florecita, afrank, ferminal ryo hazuki have all openly challenged your postings. And at least 3 of us seem.to think the letters t-r-o-l-l perfectly describe your behaviour. Others seem.to have held back.from.using the t word.thanks to better manners.

But the reality is its not you vs the hitch. Its you vs over half the posters that have posted.on the thread in.the last 2 days.

Ps i find the way you launched a personal war on parullo after he called you out. Pathetic.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

22 Nov 2012 12:23

movingtarget wrote:There is no doubt that Valverde and Contador would have been training the house down while they were suspended. Valverde had much more time to prepare for the Vuelta than Contador who went into the race with a very light racing schedule but was probably hoping to use the first week to accelerate his fitness and he struggled but hung in there. I honestly thought Rodriguez had the race won but I think often it is the psychology that makes great riders especially where the physical attributes of riders are so similar. When Contador attacked on the deciding stage Rodriguez and his team had no answer, mentally and physically. They were caught completely off guard. What he did was something Eddy Merckx used to do. The legendary stories about him attacking from the beginning of a stage after being dropped the previous day. This is what makes riders like Contador so great. They are willing to take big risks to win and they hate to lose. Hinault was the same. Would Valverde or Rodriguez have tried the same tactic ? No. They would have ridden for a podium place. The question I have about the Vuelta result is how good were Valverde and Rodriguez and how much improvement did Contador have ? I could be wrong but maybe Rodriguez and Valverde who pushed Contador were not as good as we thought. Either way, Contador with a full preparation will have other riders worried after what they saw in the Vuelta. I don't believe anyone is unbeatable but it will be interesting to see what price bookmakers will have for Contador before the Tour. Lots of questions should be answered in the next Tour regarding comparisons between riders. Would have been even more interesting if Wiggins was there as well instead of riding the Giro.

Probably I believe Hamilton too much but riding a GT can not affect on subsequent races very good. Penalty is inevitable to a certain degree even if the 1st GT is ridden in a resort mode. So Valverde amazed me. Sastre was quite mediocre in the 2008 Vuelta, finishing the third at the expense of stability and Mosquera's inability to TT. In 2010, Rodriguez was harshly flipped on Pal and later only lost in 3rd week. IMO, Valverde rode the Vuelta better than in 2003 and even 2009. Seemingly he could have won if hadn't lost 1 min on flat without rhyme or reason. Nobody belittles greatness of Contador's riding on that hilly stage, but I dont see any stages where Purito might have gained back the leadership given his far narrower range of skills and weak team. But Wiggins is able to play a role of a key domestique even after the Giro. :)

Anyway, neither Sky nor Saxo [btw, they still can not be invited] can have a team like RSNT. With a leader like Andy Shack will be a different team! :)
User avatar airstream

22 Nov 2012 12:53

Parrulo wrote:hitch isn't my buddy, we have disagreed many times in the past and i think his posting style has been way too condescending for a while now, but his quotes aren't out of context , his quotes show that you have been changing your argument to the most suited to disagree with contador fans for a while now, just like airstream has done by switching his support from andy schleck (who apparently sucks now according to him when 6 months ago he was "the boss") to froome. those are clear signs of trolling. the fact that you are yet to provide evidence to back up your claims is another sign.

also if you have anything to add on my moderation do it on the appropriate thread on the about the forum section and wait for an admin to reply to your complains as talking to me won't change much.
I feel I have provided evidence to support my claims by being consistent with my thoughts. Do I need to provide more? I don't think so. And in the hypothetical case that I change my opinion with time, why this should be an issue to a moderator? Because you subjectively think it's trolling? So you're warning me for being myself, for not being a sheep, for expressing an opinion? If you're to do that I expect you and other mods to apply the same rules to everyone equally. I expect you to be consistent. Thus far, it hasn't been the case.

Rest assured I will use the right channel if I need to call you out again.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

22 Nov 2012 13:20

Stop slandering me. I didn't switch my support. I consider Froome the main favorite for the Tour. These are two different things. Man, moderador shouldn't be so inclined to conflicts. I support Schleck - I'm a troll, I started supporting Froome a bit - I'm a troll again. It is just laughable.
User avatar airstream

22 Nov 2012 14:17

I agree with Parullo and Hitch and Afrank that cineteq has been trolling.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

22 Nov 2012 15:14

airstream wrote:Probably I believe Hamilton too much but riding a GT can not affect on subsequent races very good. Penalty is inevitable to a certain degree even if the 1st GT is ridden in a resort mode. So Valverde amazed me. Sastre was quite mediocre in the 2008 Vuelta, finishing the third at the expense of stability and Mosquera's inability to TT. In 2010, Rodriguez was harshly flipped on Pal and later only lost in 3rd week. IMO, Valverde rode the Vuelta better than in 2003 and even 2009. Seemingly he could have won if hadn't lost 1 min on flat without rhyme or reason. Nobody belittles greatness of Contador's riding on that hilly stage, but I dont see any stages where Purito might have gained back the leadership given his far narrower range of skills and weak team. But Wiggins is able to play a role of a key domestique even after the Giro.

Anyway, neither Sky nor Saxo [btw, they still can not be invited] can have a team like RSNT. With a leader like Andy Shack will be a different team!

I thought my birthday was going to be boring but thanks Airstream, your comedy post above has just made me smile...:D:D:D
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat

22 Nov 2012 15:16

Siriuscat wrote:I thought my birthday was going to be boring but thanks Airstream, your comedy post above has just made me smile...:D:D:D

back to fanboying andy I see.. :rolleyes:
User avatar LaFlorecita

22 Nov 2012 15:24

airstream wrote:Stop slandering me. I didn't switch my support. I consider Froome the main favorite for the Tour. These are two different things. Man, moderador shouldn't be so inclined to conflicts. I support Schleck - I'm a troll, I started supporting Froome a bit - I'm a troll again. It is just laughable.
You should use the right channel to report him, if necessary, by contacting administrators via PM directly. You can also voice a general opinion in this feedback subforum: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=7152
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

22 Nov 2012 16:10

cineteq wrote:You should use the right channel to report him, if necessary, by contacting administrators via PM directly. You can also voice a general opinion in this feedback subforum: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=7152

lol even i did not think you would be this desperate.

airstream complaining to the mods about other postrs? are you serious?

The only reason most posters don't report half the posts he makes is because we think it offers some comic value.

And even then its only thanks to the generosity of the mods that he hasnt been banned yet. You want to complain about airstream being unfairly treated by the mods? Wans't he trolling LF by talking about how Contador deserves to die? Its amazing hes not on a new account by now.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

22 Nov 2012 16:11

The Hitch wrote:lol even i did not think you would be this desperate.

airstream complaining to the mods about other postrs? are you serious?

The only reason most posters don't report half the posts he makes is because we think it offers some comic value.

And even then its only thanks to the generosity of the mods that he hasnt been banned yet. You want to complain about airstream being unfairly treated by the mods? Wans't he trolling LF by talking about how Contador deserves to die? Its amazing hes not on a new account by now.

He got a 48 h ban for clinic talk in RR forum
User avatar LaFlorecita

22 Nov 2012 16:15

The Hitch wrote:And even then its only thanks to the generosity of the mods that he hasnt been banned yet. You want to complain about airstream being unfairly treated by the mods? Wans't he trolling LF by talking about how Contador deserves to die? Its amazing hes not on a new account by now.
Airstream's banned now, enjoy hitting a man down. :o
User avatar cineteq

22 Nov 2012 16:15

cineteq wrote:You should use the right channel to report him, if necessary, by contacting administrators via PM directly. You can also voice a general opinion in this feedback subforum: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=7152

seems typical for someone like you to do. to backstab people and report them because you aren't grown-up enough to realize this is just a forum :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

22 Nov 2012 16:22

Ryo Hazuki wrote:seems typical for someone like you to do. to backstab people and report them because you aren't grown-up enough to realize this is just a forum :rolleyes:
Coming form a guy who's suspended every other day, I should consider this a complement, thanks Ryo. :D
User avatar cineteq

22 Nov 2012 16:24

LaFlorecita wrote:He got a 48 h ban for clinic talk in RR forum

Well it's About Time...he ignored the rules for months....maybe this will wise him up that behavior has consequences!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

22 Nov 2012 16:55

back on topic fellas, cba to delete posts atm but will start doing so if the discussion doesn't go back on track.

thank you for defending me hitch, in this modern days it's rare to see a shinny armored knight :p
User avatar Parrulo

22 Nov 2012 17:07

Back to Tour 2013 :)

If Contador rides; barring injury or illness I can't see anyone beating him on this parcours. He has the strength, Mind, race savvy and Drive of a true champion.

Froome has shown tremendous potential to be a GT winner. Given the strength of Sky he will make a Formidable opponent and that in turn will make a Great Race :)

If Sky can control the race as they did last year it may be difficult for Contador/Andy? to get away. But IMO it will happen, either together or alone they will stretch the Sky elastic and it will break. Then it will all be up to Froome to show what he has.

Should be an interesting race :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

22 Nov 2012 17:20

cineteq wrote:Coming form a guy who's suspended every other day, I should consider this a complement, thanks Ryo. :D

which prooves my point. thank you
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

22 Nov 2012 19:00

Carols wrote:Back to Tour 2013 :)

If Contador rides; barring injury or illness I can't see anyone beating him on this parcours. He has the strength, Mind, race savvy and Drive of a true champion.

Froome has shown tremendous potential to be a GT winner. Given the strength of Sky he will make a Formidable opponent and that in turn will make a Great Race :)

If Sky can control the race as they did last year it may be difficult for Contador/Andy? to get away. But IMO it will happen, either together or alone they will stretch the Sky elastic and it will break. Then it will all be up to Froome to show what he has.

Should be an interesting race :)

Besides achieving this year's form, Froome will also have to improve tactically in order to win the Tour. His ride in Vuelta didn't leave impression he reads the race well even when he has the legs.
But I'm not convinced at all that Wiggins won't defend the title.

Regarding Contador and Schleck, we'll have to wait spring to see where they are.
If Vuelta can be taken as indicator of Contador's level after the suspension, then he's not as he was and will have to improve if he wants to win the Tour. Lacks explosiveness and some endurance. While endurance could be achieved by racing, explosiveness is quality more related to genetics and age, thus harder to gain by training (even specific).

The route looks very good for Contador and Froome; less good, but well enough, for Evans, if he manages to catch his 2011 form; and least good, but still not bad, for Wiggins and Schleck. And that's my order of favorites at the moment, with all presumptions about their best form, health and luck.
User avatar serfla

22 Nov 2012 19:33

if Froome want to have a chance to win the TDF, he needs first to get off of his powermeter during races... and race hard until the death!
ALBERTO CONTADOR, BANG BANG!
User avatar virandociclista

22 Nov 2012 23:29

serfla wrote:Besides achieving this year's form, Froome will also have to improve tactically in order to win the Tour. His ride in Vuelta didn't leave impression he reads the race well even when he has the legs.
But I'm not convinced at all that Wiggins won't defend the title.

Regarding Contador and Schleck, we'll have to wait spring to see where they are.
If Vuelta can be taken as indicator of Contador's level after the suspension, then he's not as he was and will have to improve if he wants to win the Tour. Lacks explosiveness and some endurance. While endurance could be achieved by racing, explosiveness is quality more related to genetics and age, thus harder to gain by training (even specific).

The route looks very good for Contador and Froome; less good, but well enough, for Evans, if he manages to catch his 2011 form; and least good, but still not bad, for Wiggins and Schleck. And that's my order of favorites at the moment, with all presumptions about their best form, health and luck.

I disagree about Wiggins. I think he will ride the Giro to win and the Tour to offer some support to Froome. He wants to win the Giro and see no reason to disbelieve what has been reported. Will be interesting to see how the two BMC riders perform. Nobody seems to think they can make the podium or if they do, that view is being buried under the Contador/Froome/Schleck talk.
movingtarget

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing