Register

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Nibali
32%
Rodriguez
10%
Hesjedal
6%
Basso
3%
Wiggins
38%
Scarponi
1%
Others
10%

Total votes : 281

25 Oct 2012 08:22

If purito has the same form as veulta 2012 he will be the man to beat.
Proud champion of the first ever 2012 Giro d'Italia CQ game[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]
User avatar dlwssonic

25 Oct 2012 09:00

I'm voting Nibali but it's not a rational choice.
Sky looks terrific on paper and could very well cotrol the race same fashion it controlled TdF 2011. We still don't know if Wiggo will be in that form though.

Only hope I have is for the tricky first week and the Stelvio descent.

Quintana looks good for a podium spot. While I fear Purito will take a step back.
User avatar SafeBet

25 Oct 2012 09:03

I like Nibali and I hope he can win it. Quintana is also one of my favourite riders, but I'm not sure that he can TT well enough to hold onto a lead from the likes of Wiggins. He may be able to shell Wiggins out the back on a tough climb though.

I would also like Basso to do well, just for old times sake.
User avatar Alphabet

25 Oct 2012 09:07

dlwssonic wrote:If purito has the same form as veulta 2012 he will be the man to beat.

The TTs are the problem.
movingtarget

25 Oct 2012 09:10

Alphabet wrote:I like Nibali and I hope he can win it. Quintana is also one of my favourite riders, but I'm not sure that he can TT well enough to hold onto a lead from the likes of Wiggins. He may be able to shell Wiggins out the back on a tough climb though.

He's not the kind of rider who would attack from far though. He wouldn't be able to sustain it against the Sky train.
How much can he gain with his usual 1km sprint on the top?

I don't even know if there are gonna be time bonuses.
User avatar SafeBet

25 Oct 2012 09:32

There's 0 zero reason to consider Nibali a stronger climber than Wiggins, but people vote for him...:confused:
User avatar airstream

25 Oct 2012 09:36

Ferminal wrote:You need to turn 25 in the calendar year or something like that. Henao turns 25 in December so wouldn't be eligible.

Never pick jersey winners at 2.30 am
MatParker117

25 Oct 2012 09:42

Rodriguez or Nibali. Say Rodriguez because of climber's parcours and NIbali changing team. Nibali no worse than second though.

Wiggins? I don't see it.

Qs: Will Pozzovivo ride, or will AG2R save him for the Tour? How will Pellizotti perform? Will Rujano materialise?

First post in pro road racing for a month :eek:
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

25 Oct 2012 09:53

airstream wrote:There's 0 zero reason to consider Nibali a stronger climber than Wiggins, but people vote for him...:confused:

There's 0 reason to consider Schleck a candidate for next Tour, but people vote him ;)
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

25 Oct 2012 09:55

airstream wrote:There's 0 zero reason to consider Nibali a stronger climber than Wiggins, but people vote for him...:confused:

Better record at il Giro.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

25 Oct 2012 11:51

Almost nobody votes for Scarponi.
[SIZE="1"]La fatica in montagna per me è poesia - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kun je geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere[/SIZE]
User avatar Pantani_lives

25 Oct 2012 11:52

Pantani_lives wrote:Almost nobody votes for Scarponi.

He has less chances to be at the start than to win it.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

25 Oct 2012 12:01

Ferminal wrote:You need to turn 25 in the calendar year or something like that. Henao turns 25 in December so wouldn't be eligible.

I thought you had to be under 26 at the turn of the year. So on Jan 1st you had to BE 25 or under.
Bobby G

25 Oct 2012 12:07

taiwan wrote:Better record at il Giro.

Wiggins has never competed in the Giro in top form, contrary to Nibali who has targeted it several times.

I also wonder what makes people think Nibali is better at the steep climbs. On Belles Fillies and Peyragudes this year Froome, Wiggins dropped him easily. And in the 2011 Vuelta Nibali was even worse. His GT performances just aren't very consistent over 3 weeks.

Wiggins will win it if he's got this year's form, and that's the problem with deciding who to choose in this poll.
User avatar Pentacycle

25 Oct 2012 12:13

Bobby G wrote:I thought you had to be under 26 at the turn of the year. So on Jan 1st you had to BE 25 or under.

No, riders have to be under 25 on Jan 1st, all young rider classifications are U25. So everyone from 1987 (and earlier) can't compete for the white jerseys any more next year.
User avatar Pentacycle

25 Oct 2012 12:28

I dunno, Nibali seemed stronger to me in the two hardest stages of the Tour. Keep in mind also that Nibali didn't have Froome to pace him. That counts for something on climbs that are exposed and not overly steep.

It's true, though, that Nibali was weak in the Peyragudes stage. He doesn't recover as well as Wiggins it seems, which is, of course, a major weakness.

Regardless, Purito will own them both.

Pentacycle wrote:Wiggins has never competed in the Giro in top form, contrary to Nibali who has targeted it several times.

I also wonder what makes people think Nibali is better at the steep climbs. On Belles Fillies and Peyragudes this year Froome, Wiggins dropped him easily. And in the 2011 Vuelta Nibali was even worse. His GT performances just aren't very consistent over 3 weeks.

Wiggins will win it if he's got this year's form, and that's the problem with deciding who to choose in this poll.

Nibali was in difficulties on Peyresourde already. Wiggins didn't gap him when it got steep. In fact, he was in trouble there himself.

Wiggins only seems stronger on difficult climbs when they are short, like La Planche and Col de la Croix (Jura), but has never impressed on a climb that is both difficult AND long.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

25 Oct 2012 12:31

Right now, I give the edge to Nibali. If shows up like in this year's Tour, he should win it very easily.

- Purito and Hesjedal to complete the podium.
- I don't see Wiggo doing anything special. The Tour broke his head, plus he won't have the same kind of train.
- I don't discard a rider like Gesink if he decides (hopefully) to ride the Giro/Vuelta next year.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

25 Oct 2012 12:47

cineteq wrote:Right now, I give the edge to Nibali. If shows up like in this year's Tour, he should win it very easily.

- Purito and Hesjedal to complete the podium.
- I don't see Wiggo doing anything special. The Tour broke his head, plus he won't have the same kind of train.
- I don't discard a rider like Gesink if he decides (hopefully) to ride the Giro/Vuelta next year.

- so you have accepted that Purito he's doing it, now that you're argument "Giro-has-more-TT-than-Tour is legit? :D
- Gesink... would be awesome but I reckon he doesn't even know the Giro exists.

User avatar Eshnar

25 Oct 2012 12:50

Afrank wrote:Nibali, I am counting on him to teach Wiggo a lesson.

Nibs had his chance and he came up short, even with more hilly parcours, I wouldn't expect much more from him. Purito though, if his form his there he could inflict some damage on Wiggo if Sky are not Tour-strong.
johnnycash

25 Oct 2012 13:02

Eshnar wrote:- so you have accepted that Purito he's doing it, now that you're argument "Giro-has-more-TT-than-Tour is legit? :D
- Gesink... would be awesome but I reckon he doesn't even know the Giro exists.
You guys completely misunderstood me. I always wanted Purito to ride Giro/Vuelta. I said I don't think he wants to ride the Giro, even though he said he would, based on his reaction after the Giro presentation. I'm sure deep down he wants to be in the 2013 Tour, but he seems to have understood that his best opportunities are going to be better by riding Giro/Vuelta again.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing