Register

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Nibali
32%
Rodriguez
10%
Hesjedal
6%
Basso
3%
Wiggins
38%
Scarponi
1%
Others
10%

Total votes : 281

25 Nov 2012 01:29

Pentacycle wrote:I think they'll try to find out what level he has in some of the WT stage races in spring, and then he can probably prepare for the Vuelta with JTL. Dombrowksi also sucks at TTT(I assume) so that might be another reason for Sky to keep him out of the Giro.

If i were Sky i would send JTL to the Giro, if they want him to lose weight quickly.
Everyone keeps forgetting Boswell.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge

25 Nov 2012 02:32

maxmartin wrote:"The Astana manager did confirm that Brajkovic will play a supporting role for Vincenzo Nibali at the Giro, in May."

That is a pretty decent helper for Nibali. And Fuglsang leads at Tour, is Fuglsang's GT results better than Jani??

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsang-will-lead-astana-at-tour-de-france

Good decision IMO, Jani will be a good helper for Nibali. And it would be good if they sent him to the Vuelta as leader, I think he could do well there.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

25 Nov 2012 07:51

maxmartin wrote:"The Astana manager did confirm that Brajkovic will play a supporting role for Vincenzo Nibali at the Giro, in May."

That is a pretty decent helper for Nibali. And Fuglsang leads at Tour, is Fuglsang's GT results better than Jani??

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsang-will-lead-astana-at-tour-de-france

I feel safer for Nibalis chances now that I know Jani will be his super badass domestique :cool:.

Who knows maybe Fuglsang can surprise us with a top 20? :D
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

25 Nov 2012 11:30

greenedge wrote:If i were Sky i would send JTL to the Giro, if they want him to lose weight quickly.

That's cos he's unlikely to get a ride in a GT in his first year.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

25 Nov 2012 11:42

Fuglsang's media activity obviously prevails over his results. Overly strange decision by Astana.
User avatar airstream

25 Nov 2012 13:19

airstream wrote:Fuglsang's media activity obviously prevails over his results. Overly strange decision by Astana.

Astana must be aiming for the top 20 on GC.
movingtarget

25 Nov 2012 14:19

movingtarget wrote:Astana must be aiming for the top 20 on GC.

Yes, but I think it could be too optimistic too. Fuglsang's recovery still causes many questions. He can easily finish one of the 3rd week stages in a sprinter grupetto.
User avatar airstream

25 Nov 2012 17:36

Ferminal wrote:Dombrowski is a pure GT rider, pretty much the only races which suit him. It makes a lot of sense to do the Giro which has more of his terrain in three weeks than a whole calendar of non-GT races.

I doubt he will do a gt. the guy is 21 and been riding for only few years
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

25 Nov 2012 17:39

Ferminal wrote:The Gila ITT was up and down was it not? California would be a better indicator as to his abilities as a rouleur.

the gila itt was done at 47 km/h so it's definitely good indication of itt skills
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

25 Nov 2012 17:39

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I doubt he will do a gt. the guy is 21 and been riding for only few years

The Vuelta would be an option, if the season goes well. Maybe only 2 weeks, but will be very valuable for the future.
janraaskalt

25 Nov 2012 17:40

greenedge wrote:If i were Sky i would send JTL to the Giro, if they want him to lose weight quickly.

losing weight?? dombrowski is 188 and 68 kg :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

25 Nov 2012 17:41

airstream wrote:Fuglsang's media activity obviously prevails over his results. Overly strange decision by Astana.

astana often completely miss the boat with their transfers. nibali will be another huge disapointment, then there's brajkovic, kreuziger and a ton of others
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

25 Nov 2012 17:47

Ryo Hazuki wrote:astana often completely miss the boat with their transfers. nibali will be another huge disapointment, then there's brajkovic, kreuziger and a ton of others

ton? Kreuziger have not been as good as we hoped, but noone thought Brajko would do any better than a top 10 in the tour.

25 Nov 2012 17:50

airstream wrote:Yes, but I think it could be too optimistic too. Fuglsang's recovery still causes many questions. He can easily finish one of the 3rd week stages in a sprinter grupetto.

Fuglsang flat out sucks on steep climbs, too. Kitzbuheler Horn proved that he didn't improve in that regard. He got his *** beat by Di Luca and a number of third and fourth-tier climbers. :o
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

25 Nov 2012 17:57

Vino attacks everyone wrote:ton? Kreuziger have not been as good as we hoped, but noone thought Brajko would do any better than a top 10 in the tour.

I will post a number of the abysmal transfers astana have gotten in recent years and brajkovic makes a ton of money and they got him to be a leader in gt. just as much of a joke as fuglsang is now and he's also making a ton of money at astana

brajkovic
kreuziger
petrov
bozic
masciarelli
seeldrayers
allan davis
pereiro

and those are just from past few years
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

25 Nov 2012 17:58

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Fuglsang flat out sucks on steep climbs, too. Kitzbuheler Horn proved that he didn't improve in that regard. He got his *** beat by Di Luca and a number of third and fourth-tier climbers. :o

exactly. also the stretch is off, of him as well. we haven't seen improvement in a few years, not even in hgis specialties like itt or rouleur
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

25 Nov 2012 17:58

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Fuglsang flat out sucks on steep climbs, too. Kitzbuheler Horn proved that he didn't improve in that regard. He got his *** beat by Di Luca and a number of third and fourth-tier climbers. :o

True. I'd even say on the climbs with the average grade >=7%. Any continuous 9 and more % sector and ... Fuglsang is dropped like a cork. Jani got slimmer for the last few years and his TT is for him too. Why do Astana prefer Fuglsang?? :confused: Probably he guaranteed them something? :D
User avatar airstream

25 Nov 2012 18:13

are there steep climbs in the Tour? :o
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

25 Nov 2012 18:18

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I will post a number of the abysmal transfers astana have gotten in recent years and brajkovic makes a ton of money and they got him to be a leader in gt. just as much of a joke as fuglsang is now and he's also making a ton of money at astana

brajkovic - ton of money? you got his salary, please share with me
kreuziger - agreed
petrov - He is a good domestique, was he any better before? :confused:
bozic - yea, we all knew he was the new Cav...
masciarelli - retired because of something, we don't know why (?)
seeldrayers - He was bought as a dometique (what i mean by that is that he came to Astana after the most extreme hype had dissapeared)
allan davis - never that good anyway, but i agree that he has improved in GreenEdge)
pereiro - .......

and those are just from past few years

25 Nov 2012 18:20

Eshnar wrote:are there steep climbs in the Tour? :o

It is obviously the case for Fuglsang.
User avatar airstream

PreviousNext