Register

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Nibali
32%
Rodriguez
10%
Hesjedal
6%
Basso
3%
Wiggins
38%
Scarponi
1%
Others
10%

Total votes : 281

30 Nov 2012 22:30

If Saxo do not get a WT spot and do not get invited to the TDF over Sojasun (who have lost Coppel) it would be a disgrace again.

On topic i really would like for Nibali to win, he was very strong in 2010 at the Giro, he is Italian and it would help him to not be trod on in this forum (even though he is not spectacular) by some.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge

30 Nov 2012 22:34

Ryo Hazuki wrote:when coldeportes will also be invited to tour(pretty good chance), coldeportes will come with their b team to the giro, which means no duarte for sure.

Duarte might not have that much of a chance at next years TDF to get a stage win- the 2011 TDF would have very much suited him with stages 1,4 and 8. Next year there are not too many hills in the first week where he could get a stage- but that argument of mine completely discounts the fact he can also climb (which i know he can).

Don't forget Chaves and Atapuma.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge

01 Dec 2012 14:57

Ryo Hazuki wrote:so? there are 3 french pct teams, which leaves one more invitation to coldeportes. also reason why I suspected they said wether saxo gets a wt or not it won't influence their wildcard policy. to me is them basically saying they already have their wildcards fixed and nothing will change that.

coldeportes just joined the mighty mpcc. all set for escarabajos in 2013.
personally i think and hope my favourite, esteban chaves will shine next year. and in a grand tour with the heads of state
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

03 Dec 2012 14:59

greenedge wrote:Duarte might not have that much of a chance at next years TDF to get a stage win- the 2011 TDF would have very much suited him with stages 1,4 and 8. Next year there are not too many hills in the first week where he could get a stage- but that argument of mine completely discounts the fact he can also climb (which i know he can).

Don't forget Chaves and Atapuma.

they don't care for the course. the tour will always get duarte and (probably) chaves
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

03 Dec 2012 15:10

also no quintana. he will do tour+vuelta as I thought. unzue wants him there
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

04 Dec 2012 16:01

Giro d'Italia ‏@giroditalia

"There's the possibility to ride Giro d'Italia in 2013. And it is a great possibility." - @albertocontador http://twitpic.com/bj0u9e

Is it wise for them to hype the possible presence of Contador? If he doesn't come it might be a huge letdown... :(
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

04 Dec 2012 18:34

ofc, they just have to bring attention to the race one way or the other. they already have wiggins and nibali which makes for 2/3's of last years tour podium so even if contador ends up not coming, they will still be fine imo.

looking at older videos of the giro and comparing with more recent ones i have noticed that ASO really seem to be investing a lot on making it bigger and better. just compare contador's podium in 08 and his podium in 2011. they online platform is also very well run with lot's of interaction with the fans.

i honestly think the giro is very slowly but surely closing the gap to the tour in terms of media attention and production.
User avatar Parrulo

04 Dec 2012 19:12

Parrulo wrote:ofc, they just have to bring attention to the race one way or the other. they already have wiggins and nibali which makes for 2/3's of last years tour podium so even if contador ends up not coming, they will still be fine imo.

looking at older videos of the giro and comparing with more recent ones i have noticed that ASO really seem to be investing a lot on making it bigger and better. just compare contador's podium in 08 and his podium in 2011. they online platform is also very well run with lot's of interaction with the fans.

i honestly think the giro is very slowly but surely closing the gap to the tour in terms of media attention and production.

I don't think so, no.

Months decide a lot. July ----->>>> May ( always )

Unless they change the date, Giro will never be as big in terms of media attention and production. Never.

Even if they did, it would be very hard to overtake Tour. You know Tour everywhere, you don't about Giro. In terms of non big cycling fans views.
Gloin22

04 Dec 2012 19:30

Eshnar wrote:Giro d'Italia ‏@giroditalia

"There's the possibility to ride Giro d'Italia in 2013. And it is a great possibility." - @albertocontador http://twitpic.com/bj0u9e

Is it wise for them to hype the possible presence of Contador? If he doesn't come it might be a huge letdown... :(

Didnt evans cpmllain in 09 or.something that they were using him to promote the race when he had no intention of.riding!?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

04 Dec 2012 19:33

Parrulo wrote:ofc, they just have to bring attention to the race one way or the other. they already have wiggins and nibali which makes for 2/3's of last years tour podium so even if contador ends up not coming, they will still be fine imo.

not at all. nothing has changed in past 10 years. before that the giro was even more important thanks to pantani and cipo, that were global stars
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

04 Dec 2012 19:45

you meant RCS?
anyway, yes, undoubtly they're trying to close the gap.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

04 Dec 2012 19:47

Ryo Hazuki wrote:not at all. nothing has changed in past 10 years. before that the giro was even more important thanks to pantani and cipo, that were global stars

I'd say that 10 years ago the situation was way worse than now. But in the 90's it was better, probably.

User avatar Eshnar

04 Dec 2012 20:18

Eshnar wrote:you meant RCS?
anyway, yes, undoubtly they're trying to close the gap.

ya i meant RCS i was just thinking about ASO at the same time and messed up the post.

Eshnar wrote:I'd say that 10 years ago the situation was way worse than now. But in the 90's it was better, probably.

i doesn't matter weather it is possible or not to close the gap to the tour, the fact is RCS is trying to do so.

also how can the giro not reach the tour level of production? does the tour have exclusivity on HD transmission, allegoric cars, hot girls, and beautiful places? tough so. . . . production is all about investment and despite not having the volume of business ASO has sacrificing profits(which ASO doesn't do) or gathering extra support, it is perfectly possible to get to the same levels of the tour.

what you can't buy is media attention but over the last years the giro has been attracting more big names which also contributes for the media exposure of the race.

anyway not everything is white or black despite what ryo and gloin may think and even tho the giro will almost surely never equal or surpass the tour in terms of overall fame(or are we claim anything for sure on the really long run), it doesn't mean that the gap btw the 2 can't be reduced to smaller levels then what it was at the start of this century when the giro was a mostly all italian affair with no caring from the outside world. And if RCS weren't trying to do so then they would be some pretty crappy organizers, much like unipublic.
User avatar Parrulo

06 Dec 2012 13:10

acquarone showing his idiot self once again. he said that the invitation of coldeportes will depend on if uran and henao will ride the giro with sky. or else too many colombians :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

06 Dec 2012 13:15

Ryo Hazuki wrote:acquarone showing his idiot self once again. he said that the invitation of coldeportes will depend on if uran and henao will ride the giro with sky. or else too many colombians :rolleyes:

:D
lol
We'll have a lot to discuss during next January when it comes about RCS wild cars. ;)

User avatar Eshnar

06 Dec 2012 16:08

Ryo Hazuki wrote:acquarone showing his idiot self once again. he said that the invitation of coldeportes will depend on if uran and henao will ride the giro with sky. or else too many colombians :rolleyes:

OMG!This guy is ridiculous:eek:
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

10 Dec 2012 16:58

Today's license threw completely new light on the next Giro.
I think RCS would be delighted to see Contador in their race, and Wiggins just might rethink his decision.
User avatar serfla

10 Dec 2012 17:04

serfla wrote:Today's license threw completely new light on the next Giro.
I think RCS would be delighted to see Contador in their race, and Wiggins just might rethink his decision.

Contador will take on the Tour ;)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

10 Dec 2012 17:16

You think he'll wait till April to define his schedule?

Edit:
Ive jumped to conclusion. My mistake.
User avatar serfla

10 Dec 2012 17:36

They got in, so no need
casati

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing