Register

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Nibali
32%
Rodriguez
10%
Hesjedal
6%
Basso
3%
Wiggins
38%
Scarponi
1%
Others
10%

Total votes : 281

28 Dec 2012 16:04

theyoungest wrote:Probably the first one they'll blow up is Gesink himself, his diesel takes a while to turn on.

The alternative is the passenger route for Gesink. With a good TT performance, that approach could return a podium placement. Dull model perhaps, but solid result.
Dazed and Confused

28 Dec 2012 16:37

Leendert82 wrote:you mean the Duarte that was 10th at Trentino?, yes so amazing and Rank number 200 at CQranking?
Your making a joke out of yourself every single post you make

you shouldn't judge races by looking up results afterwards, when you clealry haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

he also won the queenstage in trentino 2011, trhat's what I was talking about :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

28 Dec 2012 16:38

Leendert82 wrote:Haneo did not work for Uran, they were both riding the max that they could every stage and did not work for each other. In fact they stimulated each other to a higher platform.

I guess you were braindead during the stelvio stage then :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

28 Dec 2012 16:44

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I guess you were braindead during the stelvio stage then :rolleyes:

Well d0h, Uran was already minutes ahead on GC by then, and had the white jersey.
theyoungest

28 Dec 2012 16:51

Regarding Gesnik, his chances of winning/podium finish will heavily depend on whether he has fully recovered from his injury.
While been surprised by his new found TT ability, his climbing was much worse last year.

Heck even in the TT, he lost time on the climbs while doing well on the flat.

Samu is another interesting contender and at 35 after recovering from a injury, I would think a win is very difficult but a podium spot isn't beyond him.

Good to see Nibali getting strong support. He's still my bet for victory.
User avatar the asian

28 Dec 2012 16:55

theyoungest wrote:Well d0h, Uran was already minutes ahead on GC by then, and had the white jersey.

so? the point was that henao worked for uran, unlike what that guy said
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

29 Dec 2012 02:57

Ryo Hazuki wrote:you shouldn't judge races by looking up results afterwards, when you clealry haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

he also won the queenstage in trentino 2011, trhat's what I was talking about :rolleyes:

Wow he won 1 stage.. that clearly proofs it, your right
Leendert82

29 Dec 2012 03:10

the asian wrote:Regarding Gesnik, his chances of winning/podium finish will heavily depend on whether he has fully recovered from his injury.
While been surprised by his new found TT ability, his climbing was much worse last year.

Samu is another interesting contender and at 35 after recovering from a injury, I would think a win is very difficult but a podium spot isn't beyond him.

Good to see Nibali getting strong support. He's still my bet for victory.

Agreed, he needs to improve in the climbs, but im sure he will after he is fully recovered from his injuries. For now, he is not a sure bet as it depends how much he improves. But I'm willing to take that bet.
Leendert82

29 Dec 2012 03:12

Ryo Hazuki wrote:so? the point was that henao worked for uran, unlike what that guy said

I agree that I didn't see the Stelvio stage, but I saw the other stages, and he didn't work in those. and I'm not "that guy" my name at this forum is Leendert82. ;)
Leendert82

29 Dec 2012 08:41

Leendert82 wrote:I agree that I didn't see the Stelvio stage, but I saw the other stages, and he didn't work in those.

LOL @ this. He worked for Cav and Uran in multiple stages throughout the Giro. Looks like everyone noticed that but you.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

29 Dec 2012 08:54

the asian wrote:Regarding Gesnik, his chances of winning/podium finish will heavily depend on whether he has fully recovered from his injury.

That was already the case before his leg break. In the Pais Vasco TT last year, he did better than anyone on the descent/flat... and he had about the 40th time or so on the climb. Since two years he really has to drag himself up the climbs, it's sad but it's true.

What always surprised me is that Breukink kept on saying "Gesink needs a climb in a TT"... no he doesn't, quite the contrary actually. That Breukink really had his finger on the pulse.

Leendert82 wrote:I agree that I didn't see the Stelvio stage, but I saw the other stages, and he didn't work in those. and I'm not "that guy" my name at this forum is Leendert82. ;)

He did work a bit, like Tony Martin did for Cav in HTC: ride one or two k on the front in the final. But that's as good a way as any to avoid crashes, so it works both ways.
theyoungest

29 Dec 2012 11:56

Cunego not riding the 2013 Giro because of Scarponi :rolleyes:
http://www.****iociclismo.it/?action=read&idnotizia=24941
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

29 Dec 2012 12:02

cineteq wrote:Cunego not riding the 2013 Giro because of Scarponi :rolleyes:

yea, because as everyone knows it is Scarponis fault that Cunego hasnt won the giro the last couple of years :p
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

29 Dec 2012 12:13

WT points wise it may be better to send Cunego to an anonymous tp10 in the Tour, 2011 style and have Scarponi doing something in the Giro.
User avatar trevim

29 Dec 2012 12:25

Surely Scarponi should be looking at a lifetime suspension for a 2nd offence now?
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

29 Dec 2012 12:26

Great news. Cunego would just be an unwelcome distraction for Scarponi. Much like Ulissi will be.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

29 Dec 2012 12:29

Is cunego confirmed to do the tour then?
therealtimshady

29 Dec 2012 13:28

will10 wrote:Surely Scarponi should be looking at a lifetime suspension for a 2nd offence now?

i don't want to go in clinic matters because this is not the place. However Pozzato and Visconti got 3 months for talking with Ferrari, so since it will be an offence with a less than 6 months suspension it probably won't count as a 2nd doping offence.

So probably Scarponi will start the Giro, but being one year older i doubt he will podium anyway.
Ivan Basso ha un altro passo!!! Ivan Basso ha un altro passo!!!
User avatar Peccio89

29 Dec 2012 14:06

theyoungest wrote:That was already the case before his leg break. In the Pais Vasco TT last year, he did better than anyone on the descent/flat... and he had about the 40th time or so on the climb. Since two years he really has to drag himself up the climbs, it's sad but it's true.

What always surprised me is that Breukink kept on saying "Gesink needs a climb in a TT"... no he doesn't, quite the contrary actually. That Breukink really had his finger on the pulse.

In the Tour of Suisse this year he rode a good TT and there was a climb in it. I agree that he is not impressive as he used to be in the climbs, but as I said before that has its reasons. The switch between a pure climber and a ****ty time trialer (much worse than F. Sleck) to a good climber and a good time trialer is hard. Im sure he will find the right balance in 2013. And if he does he has a shot for the titel
Leendert82

29 Dec 2012 15:00

Leendert82 wrote:In the Tour of Suisse this year he rode a good TT and there was a climb in it. I agree that he is not impressive as he used to be in the climbs, but as I said before that has its reasons. The switch between a pure climber and a ****ty time trialer (much worse than F. Sleck) to a good climber and a good time trialer is hard. Im sure he will find the right balance in 2013. And if he does he has a shot for the titel

He didn't climb very well in that TdS TT as well, and if you think his climbing was bad in 2011 when his TT improved, you need to rewatch the final of the Dauphine queen stage that year. Gesink was arguably the best climber of the Tour favourites there despite still not being in super shape, and he was still just testing his form with several attacks. Tour winners Evans and Wiggins lost 38 and 23 seconds on him, if he hadn't crashed he could have done a good Tour. But that's just part of being a complete rider.

I don't see him do well in the Giro either, although the course suits him very well with the flat TT. He'll lose much time in the big mountain stages and hills.
User avatar Pentacycle

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing