Log in:  

Register

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Nibali
90
32%
Rodriguez
29
10%
Hesjedal
16
6%
Basso
9
3%
Wiggins
106
38%
Scarponi
2
1%
Others
29
10%
 
Total votes : 281

29 Dec 2012 15:41

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I guess you were braindead during the stelvio stage then :rolleyes:


what about the stelvio stage? you mean that he waited for Uran and paced him in the last 3km when it was way too late at that point, since Uran's 5th position in gc was seriously threatened by De Gendt and Cunego from 35km out already? well boohoo :cool:
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,796
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

29 Dec 2012 17:26

Leendert82 wrote:In the Tour of Suisse this year he rode a good TT and there was a climb in it. I agree that he is not impressive as he used to be in the climbs, but as I said before that has its reasons. The switch between a pure climber and a ****ty time trialer (much worse than F. Sleck) to a good climber and a good time trialer is hard. Im sure he will find the right balance in 2013. And if he does he has a shot for the titel

That Suisse 2010 TT was an anomaly, he was already pretty decent in TTs. Schleck has never been a better time trialist than him. Unfortunately he got labeled an awful time trialist after that.

He has certainly gotten better at flat TTs, purely because his aero position is better. But he's gotten worse at hilly ones, where that doesn't matter as much.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

29 Dec 2012 19:37

Since Lampre have Serpa now, there is no point of Cunego starting the Giro.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,412
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

29 Dec 2012 20:01

cineteq wrote:Cunego not riding the 2013 Giro because of Scarponi :rolleyes:
http://www.****iociclismo.it/?action=read&idnotizia=24941


Great news.
Let Cunego ride the Vuelta now for overall with a strong team to assist him and I'm sure he will be able to score big in Spain. The route should suit him and there might be pretty low competition. Good chances for a out-of-a-sudden comeback as a grand tour winner. Damiano rode a strong Giro last year (Scarponi in fact rode a shameful one). Sadly none of his attacks paid out, but he was the only one of the big names which was consistently trying to give it a go. At least he still managed to win a Grand Tour that way

Scarponi was always a nothing as a grand tour contender and will always be. Except of his one year with Savio nearly all his giro attempts were a big disappointment (this year, last year, also with Manolo). It was just so laughable Scarponi wore the maglia rosa at the start of this Giro, while he was declassed by Contador in 2011. Il Falco knew why he refused to wear il pirata's maglia rosa in 1999. But yeah il Falco at least was a champ, not a joke like Scarponi
User avatar staubsauger
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,161
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

29 Dec 2012 20:05

staubsauger wrote:Great news.
Let Cunego ride the Vuelta now for overall with a strong team to assist him and I'm sure he will be able to score big in Spain. The route should suit him and there might be pretty low competition. Good chances for a out-of-a-sudden comeback as a grand tour winner. Damiano rode a strong Giro last year (Scarponi in fact rode a shameful one). Sadly none of his attacks paid out, but he was the only one of the big names which was consistently trying to give it a go. At least he still managed to win a Grand Tour that way

Scarponi was always a nothing as a grand tour contender and will always be. Except of his one year with Savio nearly all his giro attempts were a big disappointment (this year, last year, also with Manolo). It was just so laughable Scarponi wore the maglia rosa at the start of this Giro, while he was declassed by Contador in 2011. Il Falco knew why he refused to wear il pirata's maglia rosa in 1999. But yeah il Falco at least was a champ, not a joke like Scarponi


Cunego has never really taken the vuelta seriously - as for scarponi I don't think he has been as bad as you suggest, two 4ths and a first isn't too shabby
therealtimshady
Junior Member
 
Posts: 320
Joined: 02 Jan 2010 11:27

29 Dec 2012 20:10

therealtimshady wrote:Cunego has never really taken the vuelta seriously - as for scarponi I don't think he has been as bad as you suggest, two 4ths and a first isn't too shabby


yeah Scarponi might still deliver in 2013, it all depends on his result in Tirreno.
Usually when he's good there his Giro is good too, which wasn't the case this year.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,182
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

29 Dec 2012 21:03

therealtimshady wrote:Cunego has never really taken the vuelta seriously - as for scarponi I don't think he has been as bad as you suggest, two 4ths and a first isn't too shabby


Yeah it's a shame he never did. He could have produced some nice results there, if he just had tried to do so. Hopefully he is changing his opinion this year. It's seems to be an attractive choice for both Cunego and Lampre!

Well of course Scarponi isn't that bad. But he's not that big as he is behaving sometimes. And he never was 1st at the Giro
User avatar staubsauger
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,161
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

29 Dec 2012 21:13

staubsauger wrote:Yeah it's a shame he never did. He could have produced some nice results there, if he just had tried to do so. Hopefully he is changing his opinion this year. It's seems to be an attractive choice for both Cunego and Lampre!

Well of course Scarponi isn't that bad. But he's not that big as he is behaving sometimes. And he never was 1st at the Giro


I still think cunego will do the tour
therealtimshady
Junior Member
 
Posts: 320
Joined: 02 Jan 2010 11:27

29 Dec 2012 21:14

cunego rode a fantastic vuelta in 09 while preparing for the worlds, a shame the form simply vanished from the end of the vuelta to the worlds where he looked very average :o

such a shame he missed on the rainbow jersey in 08, that was his only truly great year since 04.

he will most likely focus on the tour but to get a top 10 place as anonymously as he did in 2011 it just doesn't feel right for a rider like him who was the most attacking rider of the giro by far.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,216
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

29 Dec 2012 21:17

Parrulo wrote:cunego rode a fantastic vuelta in 09 while preparing for the worlds, a shame the form simply vanished from the end of the vuelta to the worlds where he looked very average :o

such a shame he missed on the rainbow jersey in 08, that was his only truly great year since 04.

he will most likely focus on the tour but to get a top 10 place as anonymously as he did in 2011 it just doesn't feel right for a rider like him who was the most attacking rider of the giro by far.

The upside is that he probably won't have to deal with Ulissi again :D
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,422
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

29 Dec 2012 21:19

staubsauger wrote:Great news.
Let Cunego ride the Vuelta now for overall with a strong team to assist him and I'm sure he will be able to score big in Spain. The route should suit him and there might be pretty low competition. Good chances for a out-of-a-sudden comeback as a grand tour winner. Damiano rode a strong Giro last year (Scarponi in fact rode a shameful one). Sadly none of his attacks paid out, but he was the only one of the big names which was consistently trying to give it a go. At least he still managed to win a Grand Tour that way

Scarponi was always a nothing as a grand tour contender and will always be. Except of his one year with Savio nearly all his giro attempts were a big disappointment (this year, last year, also with Manolo). It was just so laughable Scarponi wore the maglia rosa at the start of this Giro, while he was declassed by Contador in 2011. Il Falco knew why he refused to wear il pirata's maglia rosa in 1999. But yeah il Falco at least was a champ, not a joke like Scarponi


Lol, that's pretty rich. Cunego (who hasn't been top 5 in a GT since 07) will "score big" at the Vuelta but Scarponi is a total hack who has never contended in GT's. Wtf are you smoking?
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude
Junior Member
 
Posts: 738
Joined: 11 Oct 2010 17:12

29 Dec 2012 21:21

Altitude wrote:Lol, that's pretty rich. Cunego (who hasn't been top 5 in a GT since 07) will "score big" at the Vuelta but Scarponi is a total hack who has never contended in GT's. Wtf are you smoking?


Scarponi will be in the top 5 in the giro this year I think
therealtimshady
Junior Member
 
Posts: 320
Joined: 02 Jan 2010 11:27

29 Dec 2012 21:32

Is Cunego allowed to ride for the Italian National team?
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,412
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

29 Dec 2012 21:41

the asian wrote:Is Cunego allowed to ride for the Italian National team?


Yes as he hasn't been banned at any point in his career - although I don't remember him doing the worlds last year although he may just have been invisible
therealtimshady
Junior Member
 
Posts: 320
Joined: 02 Jan 2010 11:27

29 Dec 2012 21:45

Altitude wrote:Lol, that's pretty rich. Cunego (who hasn't been top 5 in a GT since 07) will "score big" at the Vuelta but Scarponi is a total hack who has never contended in GT's. Wtf are you smoking?


Well Cunego won a Grand Tour! Scarponi didn't. I agree that Scarponi might be in the Top 5 at the Giro this year. But I would be suprised if he would be able t win it.

The Vuelta field seems to be pretty weak this year. Contador, Valverde, Rodriguez, Froome, Wiggins are going to peak for the Tour and even a young prospect like Quintana might be tired after being superdomestique for Valverde in France. That left guys like Anton or Cobo (and these two are pretty inconstant) as main favorites, maybe Uran or Henao and maybe Sanchez and/or Gesink. Yeah against these guys, and a course with ramps just at the end of each mountain stage Cunego would be able to score big in my opinion! Remember 2004?

But I think too he will do the Tour
User avatar staubsauger
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,161
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

29 Dec 2012 22:03

staubsauger wrote:Well Cunego won a Grand Tour! Scarponi didn't.


Image


:o
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,085
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

29 Dec 2012 22:07

staubsauger wrote:Well Cunego won a Grand Tour! Scarponi didn't. I agree that Scarponi might be in the Top 5 at the Giro this year. But I would be suprised if he would be able t win it.

The Vuelta field seems to be pretty weak this year. Contador, Valverde, Rodriguez, Froome, Wiggins are going to peak for the Tour and even a young prospect like Quintana might be tired after being superdomestique for Valverde in France. That left guys like Anton or Cobo (and these two are pretty inconstant) as main favorites, maybe Uran or Henao and maybe Sanchez and/or Gesink. Yeah against these guys, and a course with ramps just at the end of each mountain stage Cunego would be able to score big in my opinion! Remember 2004?

But I think too he will do the Tour


Sanchez is planning on doing the Vuleta, Nibali will probably do it to prepare for worlds. Plus whoever fails at the Tour could take part. And I could easily see Contador, Purito, and Valverde doing it just for the hell of it and to prepare for worlds.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,331
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

29 Dec 2012 22:10

If you consider Contador the winner of the 2007 Tour, then you've got to extend the same courtesy to Scarponi regarding the 2011 Giro.

I don't consider either of them the winners. Rasmussen won that Tour and Contador won that Giro.
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude
Junior Member
 
Posts: 738
Joined: 11 Oct 2010 17:12

29 Dec 2012 22:19

therealtimshady wrote:Scarponi will be in the top 5 in the giro this year I think


Agree, it would be a mistake to write off Scarponi.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,353
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

29 Dec 2012 23:19

By his own admission the Cunego that won the Giro 2004 has come and gone. Call it a truce.

Altitude wrote:If you consider Contador the winner of the 2007 Tour, then you've got to extend the same courtesy to Scarponi regarding the 2011 Giro.

I don't consider either of them the winners. Rasmussen won that Tour and Contador won that Giro.


Contador won both races on the road. Sorry.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Carols, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Hakkapelit, Hemlock, ironted, jsem94, SGarmin, slosada, Squirbos_19, zlev11 and 49 guests

Back to top