Log in:  

Register

Team Time Trials

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

25 Oct 2012 11:39

It's a beautiful discipline. It's the hardest discipline in the sport and it's - unfortunately - often a bit too decisive which is why it should be used in moderation.
DominicDecoco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,661
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 16:24

25 Oct 2012 11:40

SafeBet wrote:This is not a team sport, so get rid of them.


Now that's a wrong statement in many ways.
DominicDecoco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,661
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 16:24

25 Oct 2012 11:41

A really technical TTT, preferably ending with a climb! :D
I've long been a bit confused by the fact that CAS can refer to both:
Court of Arbritation for Sport.
and Chris Anker Sørensen.
User avatar RedheadDane
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,444
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

25 Oct 2012 11:43

IT's a team sport
IT's the most beautiful discipline of the sport.
However, thse gimmick 25km TTT are simply pathetic.
No one needs that.
So either make a real 60km TTT or just leave it.
User avatar Bavarianrider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,835
Joined: 07 Apr 2011 18:14
Location: Bavaria

25 Oct 2012 11:54

Bavarianrider wrote:IT's a team sport
IT's the most beautiful discipline of the sport.
However, thse gimmick 25km TTT are simply pathetic.
No one needs that.
So either make a real 60km TTT or just leave it.


This .
User avatar Magnus
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,237
Joined: 08 Apr 2010 17:47
Location: Denmark

25 Oct 2012 11:55

I like TTTs.


....As one day events.

In GTs and other stage races no thanks :)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

25 Oct 2012 12:13

A TTT has a place in GTs and it should be used more often. Its distance should be proportional to the GT parcours, so it's not to be too decisive for the overall.

It allows the whole team to contribute to their GC leader.

It allows for opportunities for some, however it could doom others. Same thing as an ITT or a MTF would do. Another variable of many variables that would enrich GTs.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,611
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

25 Oct 2012 12:44

movingtarget wrote:I don't like them at all. I wish they would disappear.


same here

all right, that is too harsh. just keep 'em short. + i don like one as the 1st stage of a GT
woodenswan
Junior Member
 
Posts: 432
Joined: 23 Jul 2011 23:47
Location: combination pizza hut and taco bell

25 Oct 2012 12:49

Capablanca and me wrote:and its bad? confuse the overall? i think is good :)
force the climbers to attack, not just in the last 3-4 km in the mountains


And what happens when the best climbers are the ones who gain time - often the case as they have the best teams.

You clearly haven't thought this through:rolleyes:
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,154
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

25 Oct 2012 12:55

cineteq wrote:It allows for opportunities for some, however it could doom others. Same thing as an ITT or a MTF would do. Another variable of many variables that would enrich GTs.


That doesn't make any sense.
An mtf if my team is **** and im about to be "doomed" i dig deep and limit my losses.

In a ttt it doesn't matter what i do because i get measured on the time of the 4th weakest rider of my team.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,154
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

25 Oct 2012 13:04

The Hitch wrote:That doesn't make any sense.
An mtf if my team is **** and im about to be "doomed" i dig deep and limit my losses.
Well, we are in luck, I don't think you make sense at all, as usual. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,611
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

25 Oct 2012 13:29

I kinda like the mind-**** situation that happens on the flat power-routes when a generally strong team has a GC guy who's horrible at TTing.
I've long been a bit confused by the fact that CAS can refer to both:
Court of Arbritation for Sport.
and Chris Anker Sørensen.
User avatar RedheadDane
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,444
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

25 Oct 2012 13:34

also, why call one random TTT the World Championships?
woodenswan
Junior Member
 
Posts: 432
Joined: 23 Jul 2011 23:47
Location: combination pizza hut and taco bell

25 Oct 2012 14:26

To me short TTT (12km - 15km) would be a good way to start GT.
Prologue is a waste if GT has two ITT later in a race.
guncha
Junior Member
 
Posts: 222
Joined: 14 Oct 2009 20:40

25 Oct 2012 14:55

IMHO TTTs are both the beautiful figurehead of the sport and a disturbance to GC race tactics in stage races.

So I'm quite fickle about TTTs in GTs.

However I like the big show-off a TTT is, and my oppinion is that the discipline should be presented at the greatest scenes. Not bringing disturbance to race tactics, the TTTs should be in the Vuelta-format - a 1st stage below-20k route ....rather than a 75k rite of passage, including dull neutralizing rules for time differences :( The latter really makes no sense and degrade the TTT discipline, which it do not deserve.

Moreover: I like the UCI kind of re-introduction of the TTT at the worlds. But why not on a national level instead of pro team competing? I really liked those days of four-men 100k national TTTs. Why not re-introduce the original discipline at the worlds? I really liked that spectacle :D
Zoetemelk-fan
Junior Member
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 05 Oct 2009 14:34
Location: 56°09'51.72"N 10°11'32.59"E

25 Oct 2012 15:08

RedheadDane wrote:A really technical TTT, preferably ending with a climb! :D


This.

Bavarianrider wrote:IT's a team sport
IT's the most beautiful discipline of the sport.
However, thse gimmick 25km TTT are simply pathetic.
No one needs that.

So either make a real 60km TTT or just leave it.


And the bolded part of this. 60 I think would be a little much, but I don't see anything wrong with a TTT because having a strong team is part of our sport. Just so long as it is long enough that it doesn't create gaps so big that the guys whose teams weak on TTing aren't completely out before the first mountain (Like Euskatel).

woodenswan wrote:also, why call one random TTT the World Championships?


What? :confused: The world TTT wasn't a random TTT that they decided to make the world TTT. It was designed to be the team time trial for the world championships and was held in the same week as all the other world championship events.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,386
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

25 Oct 2012 15:50

Afrank wrote:





What? :confused: The world TTT wasn't a random TTT that they decided to make the world TTT. It was designed to be the team time trial for the world championships and was held in the same week as all the other world championship events.


ahmm.. so it isn't a random TTT event because it's called the WC and held at a particular date?! :D nice reasoning mate :D

obviously what i meant was the fact that it is contested by trade teams so there's absolutely no reason for it to be named a WC event.
woodenswan
Junior Member
 
Posts: 432
Joined: 23 Jul 2011 23:47
Location: combination pizza hut and taco bell

25 Oct 2012 16:03

woodenswan wrote:ahmm.. so it isn't a random TTT event because it's called the WC and held at a particular date?! :D nice reasoning mate :D

obviously what i meant was the fact that it is contested by trade teams so there's absolutely no reason for it to be named a WC event.


You said "why call one random TTT the world championship" which makes it sound like the organizers just took an already existing TTT and decided to make it the world race.

And the event wouldn't have worked if national teams contested it. Who could we consider the TTT champions then?
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,386
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

25 Oct 2012 16:05

Cogombre wrote:I don't like short gimmick TTTs like those RCS and Unipublic love so much, they feel like a waste of a race day. If they are going to throw a TTT in a GT route, it should be long enough to impact the race (>45km) otherwise I don't see the point.

And not every year, of course. One each 3/4 editions seems about right to me.



this. can't say it better.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,541
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

25 Oct 2012 16:06

Afrank wrote:And the event wouldn't have worked if national teams contested it. Who could we consider the TTT champions then?


???
think.
it's good for you.
woodenswan
Junior Member
 
Posts: 432
Joined: 23 Jul 2011 23:47
Location: combination pizza hut and taco bell

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barmaher, BigMac, BlurryVII, burning, Bushman, classicomano, Dazed and Confused, Fearless Greg Lemond, Google Adsense [Bot], Jakob747, johnymax, Jspear, killswitch, markene2, Miburo, MrTea1976, Papa Lazarou, Pricey_sky, roundabout, staubsauger, togo95, trevim, Valv.Piti, Zinoviev Letter and 86 guests

Back to top