Register

Giro 2013: Stage-by-stage analysis

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

23 Apr 2013 12:42

Netserk wrote:'13 only has one mountain stage over 170km :o

I did say 2012 wins in term of mountain stages :o

@Ferminal: maybe you're right, it's just that I really hate that stage being 130 km long :o
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

23 Apr 2013 12:45

The worst thing about the stage is that I fear they'll wait for the last steep 1.5 km.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

23 Apr 2013 12:48

Netserk wrote:The worst thing about the stage is that I fear they'll wait for the last steep 1.5 km.

Yep, very high chance :(
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

23 Apr 2013 17:35

Netserk wrote:The worst thing about the stage is that I fear they'll wait for the last steep 1.5 km.

Nice avatar suits you lol.
User avatar TANK91

03 May 2013 08:38

Just read this again. Seriously great work Eshnar.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

03 May 2013 13:27

will10 wrote:Just read this again. Seriously great work Eshnar.
Big Props to Eshnar, but his avatar is really boring.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

03 May 2013 13:33

cineteq wrote:Big Props to Eshnar, but his avatar is really boring.

How dare you :mad:

User avatar Eshnar

03 May 2013 13:47

Is it possible for spectators to watch the race at a certain point along the route and then head to the finish point? I haven't watched road racing before and as I'm in the Stage 3, Sorrento-Ascea, area presently I would like to grab as much of the spectacle as I can.

I thought of driving along the coast to watch the climb from Acciaroli up to San Mauro Cilento (because the riders will be going quite slow at that point) then back to Ascea for the finish. Is it usually possible to do this or do the surrounding roads tend to be closed until the race has passed? Thanks for any information.
zebedee

03 May 2013 13:49

zebedee wrote:I thought of driving along the coast to watch the climb from Acciaroli up to San Mauro Cilento (because the riders will be going quite slow at that point) then back to Ascea for the finish. Is it usually possible to do this or do the surrounding roads tend to be closed until the race has passed? Thanks for any information.

It should definitely be possible. The surrounding roads are open (they were a few years ago, dunno if it's changed)

User avatar Eshnar

03 May 2013 14:19

Thanks, Eshnar.

All the roads around are open and the local 'comuni' are getting them all spick and span as I write. I was just wondering whether sections are closed off on the day for the race and what it's like generally, getting from one point to the next if you want to watch the finish as well as somewhere along the route. It's only a short drive back to Ascea from Acciaroli, that section not being on the route apart from the last few hundred metres, so I've got time, in theory, while the riders are up in the mountains. It's just that I've never done it before so don't know what to expect. San Mauro Cilento should be fun. 'Molto ripido' as they would say.
zebedee

03 May 2013 14:31

zebedee wrote:Thanks, Eshnar.

All the roads around are open and the local 'comuni' are getting them all spick and span as I write. I was just wondering whether sections are closed off on the day for the race and what it's like generally, getting from one point to the next if you want to watch the finish as well as somewhere along the route. It's only a short drive back to Ascea from Acciaroli, that section not being on the route apart from the last few hundred metres, so I've got time, in theory, while the riders are up in the mountains. It's just that I've never done it before so don't know what to expect. San Mauro Cilento should be fun. 'Molto ripido' as they would say.

Make sure the route you chose it's not part of the stage and you'll be fine :)

User avatar Eshnar

03 May 2013 15:39

That's useful, Eshnar, as is the thread. Thanks for the tips.
zebedee

04 May 2013 13:15

nice little thread. :D
http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/tour-de-pologne-cycling-preview-2015/ Preview World Tour race in Poland, with Movistar likely to face off with Sky.

http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/clasica-san-sebastian-cycling-preview-2015/ San Sebastian preview
User avatar manafana

05 May 2013 06:40

Quite a big route change to Stage 3 apparently caused by landslip. Worth updating your map?
zebedee

05 May 2013 06:50

zebedee wrote:Quite a big route change to Stage 3 apparently caused by landslip. Worth updating your map?

Where do you see the changes?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

05 May 2013 06:52

My mistake. It was my map that was out of date! Apologies
zebedee

05 May 2013 11:25

I noticed quite a bit of road debris on tomorrow's stage 3 section around San Mauro Cilento where I went scouting this morning. There were thunderstorms here last night which have left scatterings of rock and stone debris on the road including the descent after Pollica. Is this one of the hazards that race cyclists get used to? There didn't seem to be anybody out there dealing with it.
zebedee

05 May 2013 11:36

zebedee wrote:I noticed quite a bit of road debris on tomorrow's stage 3 section around San Mauro Cilento where I went scouting this morning. There were thunderstorms here last night which have left scatterings of rock and stone debris on the road including the descent after Pollica. Is this one of the hazards that race cyclists get used to? There didn't seem to be anybody out there dealing with it.

i guess if it's that bad that a sweep crew will be called in on race day morning.
User avatar gerundium

23 May 2013 16:30

Getting this awesome thread to the front page before the final mountain stages (even though they will be different than those posted in this thread...)

Tomorrow:
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

Previous

Return to Professional road racing