Register

New Jerseys - 2013 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Tenues-and-Exotics

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

11 Dec 2012 12:38

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Image

Japanese, Chinese, South Korean, Canadian and Irish national champions jerseys. I like these.

hideous, I don't see a national flag anywhere.
this is how national champs should look
long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

11 Dec 2012 12:42

Parrulo wrote:also is that a shimano gruppo?

Yup. DA 7970.

I'm wondering how many teams will be on DA 9000 or 9070 for next season.
User avatar Magnus

11 Dec 2012 13:06

El Pistolero wrote:World Champ jersey has specific UCI rules. I think they're great jerseys for their national countries.

Integrating your national flag into a jersey only works well when you have a tricolor flag design.

I understand, for some countries it's harder than for others. But these days teams like leopard and movistar even screw up the tricolores..
User avatar Buffalo Soldier

11 Dec 2012 13:51

Magnus wrote:Yup. DA 7970.

I'm wondering how many teams will be on DA 9000 or 9070 for next season.

That's their training bike.
The race bikes will have Di2 9070.

By what we've seen so far it seems that Shimano is giving the 9070 to all WT teams and the mechanical 9000 to Pro Conti (see IAM's Scott).
[color="Black"]ciclismo-espresso.com[/color]
User avatar Michele

11 Dec 2012 13:55

Buffalo Soldier wrote:These are awful. This is in no way how a national champion jersey has to look like. The concept is not that hard: take your national flag, and try to integrate the sponsors somehow. But these days it's more like: take your team jersey with sponsors, and try to fit in some of you national colors.

What an odd comment.

1) Three of the five national champions jerseys do in fact integrate the national flag. They use a part of the Japanese, South Korean and Canadian flags, which is perfectly reasonable.

2) Of the other two, the shamrock has always been preferred to the national flag on the Irish champion's jersey. It's traditional. The Chinese flag doesn't really lend itself to a jersey, given that it's an expanse of red with some small detailing in one corner.

3) More generally, while certain tricolours can be relatively easily turned into a jersey, as essentially a flag with sleeves, loads of national flags simply don't work in that format. What's more, in countries without a tradition of slightly modified flags as sports jerseys, turning one into clothes and sticking some sponsor's corporate logo may be seen as less than respectful, so a nod towards that flag or towards a national emblem may be a better option.

These are exactly the opposite of the recent trend towards mangling national jerseys to preserve corporate colours. They are an attempt to give a strong visual identity to national champions while also keeping a design connection to the team. I think they work well. Certainly, that's one of the best Irish jerseys I've seen for many years.
Zinoviev Letter

11 Dec 2012 15:35

User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

11 Dec 2012 18:48

Heinrich just posted this on his Facebook
User avatar Njbb1995

11 Dec 2012 20:24

El Pistolero wrote:World Champ jersey has specific UCI rules. I think they're great jerseys for their national countries.

Integrating your national flag into a jersey only works well when you have a tricolor flag design.

For some of those I prefer the white-with-small-flag-bands. The German national jersey, for example, is usually excellent as long as Radioshack don't have it. Reimer's Cervélo German kit and especially Wegmann's Gerolsteiner one are classics.

However, national flags on jerseys don't only work well with tricolors. Scandinavian crosses, for example, lead to some great jerseys too. And Switzerland - Elmiger's and Cancellara's recent kits have both been excellent.

I didn't think you could screw up a Scandinavian cross kit, but Kristoff and Boasson Hagen have both been given utter crap to wear this year.

Another one I really liked: Kuschynski's Katyusha Belarus kit.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

11 Dec 2012 20:30

Libertine Seguros wrote:For some of those I prefer the white-with-small-flag-bands. The German national jersey, for example, is usually excellent as long as Radioshack don't have it. Reimer's Cervélo German kit and especially Wegmann's Gerolsteiner one are classics.

However, national flags on jerseys don't only work well with tricolors. Scandinavian crosses, for example, lead to some great jerseys too. And Switzerland - Elmiger's and Cancellara's recent kits have both been excellent.

I didn't think you could screw up a Scandinavian cross kit, but Kristoff and Boasson Hagen have both been given utter crap to wear this year.

Another one I really liked: Kuschynski's Katyusha Belarus kit.

Are you talking about Cancellara's 2010 jersey? Because I really hated his 2012 jersey.

I think the reason why you don't see fully integrated German National jerseys is because it would be too confusing with the Belgian champ jersey. :o

Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

11 Dec 2012 20:34

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Image

Japanese, Chinese, South Korean, Canadian and Irish national champions jerseys. I like these.

This post is reason alone to revive my Nat Champs jersey thread. Magnificent.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

11 Dec 2012 21:39

Possible Jersey :

Gloin22

11 Dec 2012 21:42

If no money goes chicken it's bianco bezirk or else Adiós¡
snackattack

11 Dec 2012 21:53

Jebus what an ugly combo.
User avatar classicomano

11 Dec 2012 21:57

I'm reminded of a certain Dutch brand of detergent ;)
theyoungest

11 Dec 2012 22:19

El Pistolero wrote:Are you talking about Cancellara's 2010 jersey? Because I really hated his 2012 jersey.

I think the reason why you don't see fully integrated German National jerseys is because it would be too confusing with the Belgian champ jersey. :o

Of course I was talking about the 2009-10 jersey. I had actually forgotten he was the Swiss champ in 2012, that's how bad that jersey was.

I think the reason for no fully integrated German national jersey is not that (after all, the same could apply for all manner of Slavic national jerseys with the similar white-blue-red colour scheme, the Netherlands and Luxembourg, Latvia and Austria, Moldova and Romania etc), but more that, apart from in the wintersports where black is the dominating colour, most German sporting uniforms (football, athletics etc) tend to be white with the black-red-gold detail on that. It means the cycling jersey is unmistakably German, unified with other German national uniform, whilst still retaining the simplicity of the white-with-national-bands look.

Until Radioshack came and screwed it all up.

11 Dec 2012 22:37

edited bye bye bicycle's post as the image was just too big and was messing up the page. if you want to can resize it and edit the post with the smaller image there.
User avatar Parrulo

11 Dec 2012 22:58

Libertine Seguros wrote:Of course I was talking about the 2009-10 jersey. I had actually forgotten he was the Swiss champ in 2012, that's how bad that jersey was.

I think the reason for no fully integrated German national jersey is not that (after all, the same could apply for all manner of Slavic national jerseys with the similar white-blue-red colour scheme, the Netherlands and Luxembourg, Latvia and Austria, Moldova and Romania etc), but more that, apart from in the wintersports where black is the dominating colour, most German sporting uniforms (football, athletics etc) tend to be white with the black-red-gold detail on that. It means the cycling jersey is unmistakably German, unified with other German national uniform, whilst still retaining the simplicity of the white-with-national-bands look.

Until Radioshack came and screwed it all up.

I believe you are right, but strictly speaking what you are comparing with are the national team's jerseys (for WC and Olympics). For some countries the national champs jersey is usually pretty similar to the national team jersey, while for others like Italia, they use the tricolore for the national champ but the traditional azzurri jersey for the team. Same for Belgium, and GB. While the Scandinavian countries tend to have national team jerseys quite similar to the the national champ jersey.
kanari

11 Dec 2012 23:06

kanari wrote:I believe you are right, but strictly speaking what you are comparing with are the national team's jerseys (for WC and Olympics). For some countries the national champs jersey is usually pretty similar to the national team jersey, while for others like Italia, they use the tricolore for the national champ but the traditional azzurri jersey for the team. Same for Belgium, and GB. While the Scandinavian countries tend to have national team jerseys quite similar to the the national champ jersey.

Indeed, but nevertheless if I saw a great big tricolor of black, red and gold I wouldn't actually identify that as being representative of Germany as quickly as the white jersey with the German flag bands around the middle, because that national jersey (both the vertical stripes of the national team kit and the horizontal stripes of the national champion's kit) are ingrained as being the colours of Germany in sport. A big tricolor works with some countries (Belgium, Italy, France, Estonia), but with Germany it would seem somehow wrong, gaudy and ostentatious; German designs have always been about incorporating the national flag within a simple, classic white and black; long may that continue.

12 Dec 2012 06:19

Libertine Seguros wrote: but more that, apart from in the wintersports where black is the dominating colour, most German sporting uniforms (football, athletics etc) tend to be white with the black-red-gold detail on that. It means the cycling jersey is unmistakably German, unified with other German national uniform, whilst still retaining the simplicity of the white-with-national-bands look.
Indeed, a bit like with the Australians
User avatar Buffalo Soldier

12 Dec 2012 11:08

White label team
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing