Register

Wiggins knocked off bike, broken ribs suspected.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

09 Nov 2012 22:02

Avoriaz wrote:And there is a good chance to he will - like he did this summer. But let the guy get home first

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/bradley-wiggins-speaks-out-about-road-safety-as-cyclist-killed-in-accident-with-olympic-bus-is-named-8000839.html

A picture says more than a thousand words.
User avatar HL2037

09 Nov 2012 22:55

adamski101 wrote:and of course all of these people making these comments have met Mr & Mrs Wiggins and are totally able to form an unbiased opinion of their personalities and charachters. i'm guessing that is from the Daily Mail or the Scum.

utter crap.

I actually did see Wiggins once - at the 2011 Vuelta, and he did act like a prat. When people came up to ask him for an autograph he shouted - "dont ****ing touch me" and they moved away and he moved into his car.

Of course some of you will claim im making it up or whatever but didnt one of the journos also say that when he tried to talk to wiggins after a race wiggins rudely told him to go away?

And Vaughters is also on record on this forum saying wiggo is a jerk.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

09 Nov 2012 23:18

King Of The Wolds wrote:He's had 2 months off and has his main aim for next year less than 6 months away. Besides, I think the current Velo d'Or winner, yellow jersey and Olympic Champ knows how to prepare. I would like to know why he's out at night though. A lot of Sky' marginal gains stuff is about reducing risk. Seems a bit pointless to then go out in the dark.

Excellent point. Us amateur hacks have to ride whenever we get a chance, but pros ride for a living, so presumably can pick their times more.

However, I bet the pros also have days (like in November) when it takes a while to get up the motivation to go out for a ride. Guys who win end up blowing off training for that day, guys that win force themselves to go out even when it is dark.
silverrocket

09 Nov 2012 23:22

The Hitch wrote:I actually did see Wiggins once - at the 2011 Vuelta, and he did act like a prat. When people came up to ask him for an autograph he shouted - "dont ****ing touch me" and they moved away and he moved into his car.

Of course some of you will claim im making it up or whatever but didnt one of the journos also say that when he tried to talk to wiggins after a race wiggins rudely told him to go away?

That's odd since i asked him for his autograph a few weeks back near where he lives and he was exceptionally nice about it since he didn't need to give me one and was on his own time and out with his wife.
User avatar HiCadence

09 Nov 2012 23:39

MatParker117 wrote:Picture this you've been an accident, broken your ribs, probably haven't slept well, on various painkillers, food was probably **** and bunch of idiots are shoving cameras in your face.

Would you not be even a little ****ed off?

Errr he was inside a car. No one was shoving cameras in his face. As he drove past he flicked the finger.

Come on Matt Parker. You know this.
User avatar thehog

09 Nov 2012 23:44

HiCadence wrote:I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a brit and a brit that has won the tour de france than anything else i bet you it would be completely different had he been riding as say an italian or french rider.

It's just discrimination and it's really sad to see it.

The only discrimination I see is in your own post.

I believe it is poor behaviour for a public figure to give the finger to the press. Are you saying people like me would have a different opinion if say Ivan Basso had given the press the finger when he was the reigning Giro champion, (for example)?

When Mel Gibson launched his public, drunken, anti-Jewish tirade a few years back most of us thought that was inappropriate behaviour for a celebrity. Were we discriminating against Australians then?
silverrocket

10 Nov 2012 00:19

Yes i am saying the comments and hate being thrown at Wiggo would be different if Ivan basso was in the same situation.

Trying to compare Wiggins giving the finger to a pap and Mel Gibsons racist rants is moronic that's like comparing apples to oranges to be honest.
User avatar HiCadence

10 Nov 2012 00:25

HiCadence wrote:That's odd since i asked him for his autograph a few weeks back near where he lives and he was exceptionally nice about it since he didn't need to give me one and was on his own time and out with his wife.

+1 Met him at the Stoke stage of this years ToB and he was more than happy to sign my photos and programme, with a smile too! :D
User avatar Pricey_sky

10 Nov 2012 08:33

Smart move to apologise. He won a lot of hearts this year, including many youngsters, no point in blowing it. Bike riders are rarely diplomats, I'd imagine Hinault in a similar situation would have taken someones head off. Soon blow over, hope he gets well soon.
User avatar rainman

10 Nov 2012 12:14

HiCadence wrote:Yes i am saying the comments and hate being thrown at Wiggo would be different if Ivan basso was in the same situation.

That is such bull****
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

10 Nov 2012 12:54

LaFlorecita wrote:That is such bull****

Wiggo may have made the tour a little boring but i prefere a clean rider over a dirty one any day of the week.
User avatar HiCadence

10 Nov 2012 13:17

HiCadence wrote:Wiggo may have made the tour a little boring but i prefere a clean rider over a dirty one any day of the week.

What the **** does that have to do with people on here "discriminating" Wiggins. You're accusing us of discriminating Wiggins and when people point out that this is not the case this is your reply. WTF?!
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

10 Nov 2012 14:08

jyhjyh wrote:Brad is back:

‏@TelegraphSport
Pic: Bradley Wiggins says hello (sort of) to assembled snappers as he is released from hospital following accident

Yo F#%^nuts it's Probin time.
simo1733

10 Nov 2012 14:40

The Hitch wrote:I actually did see Wiggins once - at the 2011 Vuelta, and he did act like a prat. When people came up to ask him for an autograph he shouted - "dont ****ing touch me" and they moved away and he moved into his car.

I spoke to some people at the Olympics who knew Wiggo when he was on the youth circuit, they all said he was an arrogant, ignorant sod then. Which is pretty much what you would expect from a kid who grew up on a council estate in Kilburn without a father figure around.

Then again he gets knocked off his bike on the way to a training hack with mates from the local mountain bike club, probably with pub stop afterwards, which is exactly what I do.

If you had to build your own perfect cycling superstar then you wouldn't start with Bradley Wiggins - if you are an ordinary bloke(girl) who wonders if you maight be able to make it in cycling without an education or decent background behind you - well Bradley Wiggins did.
say it ain't so, Joe please, say it ain't so, I'm sure they're telling us lies Joe, please tell us it ain't so
they told us our hero has played his trump card he doesn't know how to go on, we're clinging to his charm and determined smile, but the good old days are gone........ were gonna get burned, burned.....
User avatar wilts rover

10 Nov 2012 21:50

I want a good recovery for Wiggo. I hope he can do in 2013 their planning calendar.
I don't like Wiggins,I don't like their behavior after the Olympic Games. An athlete always an athlete competes or not and to set an example to young people. Wiggins did not.
Join www.cyclingforfun.org Free Online Cycling Manager Game .
You must control a cycling team: staff, sponsors, calendar, trainings, upgrade bike, sign and sell cyclists, race with your NT , send your scout to see new cyclists and other features.
mocacso

10 Nov 2012 21:58

I take it that all those criticizing Brad know exactly what the photographer just did or said to Brad moments before, right?
King Of The Wolds

10 Nov 2012 23:23

King Of The Wolds wrote:I take it that all those criticizing Brad know exactly what the photographer just did or said to Brad moments before, right?

Whatever the photographer did or didn't do is completely irrelevant of the fact that since winning the Tour Wiggins is a public figure and as a result every move he makes is news. I don't care if the photographer insulted his whole family seconds before that picture. Wiggins is a grown up man and should act like one. He is also a public figure and should consider that with everything he does. Whatever the photographer might have done isn't an excuse.
Dutchsmurf

12 Nov 2012 05:53

Dutchsmurf wrote:Whatever the photographer did or didn't do is completely irrelevant of the fact that since winning the Tour Wiggins is a public figure and as a result every move he makes is news. I don't care if the photographer insulted his whole family seconds before that picture. Wiggins is a grown up man and should act like one. He is also a public figure and should consider that with everything he does. Whatever the photographer might have done isn't an excuse.

Public figure. A much overused term, they are people. Wiggins is a character. Celebrities and politicians should be allowed to act like other people. The fact that some people think society bases it's behaviour on such people is laughable. Cut them some slack. Everyone makes mistakes but it's nonsense that some people have their careers ruined over what others get away with every day of the week. Wiggins won't change, thankfully.
movingtarget

12 Nov 2012 06:23

mocacso wrote:I want a good recovery for Wiggo. I hope he can do in 2013 their planning calendar.
I don't like Wiggins,I don't like their behavior after the Olympic Games. An athlete always an athlete competes or not and to set an example to young people. Wiggins did not.
What did he do that was so offensive? (Besides reacting to a hack photographer harassing him as he left hospital)
User avatar ultimobici

12 Nov 2012 06:26

movingtarget wrote:Public figure. A much overused term, they are people. Wiggins is a character. Celebrities and politicians should be allowed to act like other people. The fact that some people think society bases it's behaviour on such people is laughable. Cut them some slack. Everyone makes mistakes but it's nonsense that some people have their careers ruined over what others get away with every day of the week. Wiggins won't change, thankfully.

I agree with much of what you posted, except the bolded. Politicians are in a position of power and often are the ones telling us how we should and shouldn't conduct our lives. As such they should be held to account for their actions.
User avatar ultimobici

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing