Log in:  

Register

Wiggins knocked off bike, broken ribs suspected.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

12 Nov 2012 09:48

ultimobici wrote:I agree with much of what you posted, except the bolded. Politicians are in a position of power and often are the ones telling us how we should and shouldn't conduct our lives. As such they should be held to account for their actions.


Should a politician be sacked because some newspaper found out he was having an affair ? No. Should he be sacked because he breached government security regulations ? Yes. There's a world of difference.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,848
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

12 Nov 2012 11:54

HiCadence wrote:I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a brit and a brit that has won the tour de france than anything else i bet you it would be completely different had he been riding as say an italian or french rider.

It's just discrimination and it's really sad to see it.


do you actually believe people think uk is important enough to hate it? why? I can understand usa or china or something because they actually mean something on the international platform
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

12 Nov 2012 11:54

movingtarget wrote:Should a politician be sacked because some newspaper found out he was having an affair ? No. Should he be sacked because he breached government security regulations ? Yes. There's a world of difference.


Remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_Basics_(campaign)

Politicians telling people how to live their lives, whilst not applying the same rules to themselves, forced to resign. So, in answer to your question - absolutely right.
User avatar ultimobici
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,745
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 21:58
Location: London

12 Nov 2012 11:55

MatParker117 wrote:Picture this you've been an accident, broken your ribs, probably haven't slept well, on various painkillers, food was probably **** and bunch of idiots are shoving cameras in your face.

Would you not be even a little ****ed off?


the camera is not in his face. in fact you can't even se ehis face
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

12 Nov 2012 11:56

HiCadence wrote:That's odd since i asked him for his autograph a few weeks back near where he lives and he was exceptionally nice about it since he didn't need to give me one and was on his own time and out with his wife.


how brown is your nose by now?
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

12 Nov 2012 11:57

HiCadence wrote:Yes i am saying the comments and hate being thrown at Wiggo would be different if Ivan basso was in the same situation.

Trying to compare Wiggins giving the finger to a pap and Mel Gibsons racist rants is moronic that's like comparing apples to oranges to be honest.


blablabla. you sound like a complete racist to me, what a hypocrite :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

12 Nov 2012 12:53

HiCadence wrote:I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a brit and a brit that has won the tour de france than anything else i bet you it would be completely different had he been riding as say an italian or french rider.

It's just discrimination and it's really sad to see it.


That's quite a stretch to chalk it up to discrimination. Where is the evidence of that? It's likely he's built up a track record (no pun intended) of being colorful, acting without thinking (calling some of his detractors w@nk#$s and c#*ts). To be surprised that he gets this type of reaction has little if anything to do with his nationality. Froome gets much love here in the forum (I realize he's adopted Britain as his home country), as does Robert Millar, who is very well respected here.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,988
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

12 Nov 2012 13:14

King Of The Wolds wrote:He's had 2 months off and has his main aim for next year less than 6 months away. Besides, I think the current Velo d'Or winner, yellow jersey and Olympic Champ knows how to prepare. I would like to know why he's out at night though. A lot of Sky' marginal gains stuff is about reducing risk. Seems a bit pointless to then go out in the dark.


Multiple demands on his time as Britains' first Tour winner making him a high profile commodity. Maybe that was the only time he could squeeze in a ride.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,988
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

12 Nov 2012 13:24

HiCadence wrote:That's odd since i asked him for his autograph a few weeks back near where he lives and he was exceptionally nice about it since he didn't need to give me one and was on his own time and out with his wife.


Maybe your rude interruption of his time with his wife, for the sole purpose of satisfying your own personal desire without consideration for Wiggins and his wife, was the straw that broke the camel's back, the point at which he decided, over a strained smile/pleasantries, that he was fed up. Yep, that's it, I say we blame HiCadence.;)
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,988
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

12 Nov 2012 13:27

ultimobici wrote:Remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_Basics_(campaign)

Politicians telling people how to live their lives, whilst not applying the same rules to themselves, forced to resign. So, in answer to your question - absolutely right.


No I didn't remember that but the list made disturbing reading. Major was so bland it's hard to remember him at all. But he probably seems charismatic compared to some Australian politicians.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,848
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

12 Nov 2012 14:06

HL2037 wrote:It's not exactly the sort of thing that improves the relationship between cyclists and motorists in traffic. Wiggins had a golden opportunity to get the road safety message out, but no, instead flips the finger into a camera. Way to promote cycling!


This exactly. I don't really care that he gave the camera the finger. I rather like this version of Wiggo that is emerging as someone who gets angry and sometimes speaks before he thinks. It makes things interesting.

What's frustrating about this as a cyclist is that he had a golden opportunity to address road safely issues. Instead he reinforces the images that many motorists have of cyclists as arrogant jerks who don't deserve to be on the road. They may only be Daily Mail readers, but it may happen that it's a Daily Mail reader that's behind me and too frustrated to wait for a safe spot to pass.

Sure, Mello Wiggo may mount a cycling safety campaign later, but the moment is lost. The moment when most eyes were on him and was relevant to the issue. There's only so much media attention, only so much space in the paper or the listeners' consciousness. Now that space is filled with his apology rather than something that might have called attention to the fact that we all share these roads, that he was lucky to have escaped relatively unscathed and that hundreds don't.
User avatar Orvieto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: 01 Feb 2011 02:38

12 Nov 2012 15:08

There was lots of stupid comments by drivers before he gave the finger.
Vickie Pendleton would make a better safe cycling ambassador anyway.
User avatar oldcrank
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,207
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

12 Nov 2012 15:18

HiCadence wrote:I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a brit and a brit that has won the tour de france than anything else i bet you it would be completely different had he been riding as say an italian or french rider.

It's just discrimination and it's really sad to see it.


lol, playing the race card immediately. pathetic. If its discrimination against a brit why are half the people who think hye is a ****, british themselves?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,973
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

12 Nov 2012 15:24

jens_attacks wrote:the thing about responsability in the eyes of the kids once again...pathetic.

the fans who want athletes to be saints and the disgusting gutter press should fucc off

what an opportunity for wiggo's haters eh? at least he gives you material for living. that's good now with lance gone. perfect.


Question, is, why on earth do you all of a sudden love a guy who says he doesnt want ricco and di luca in the sport, and who turned on lance the second he found out it could help his own reputation?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,973
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

12 Nov 2012 16:55

The Hitch wrote:Question, is, why on earth do you all of a sudden love a guy who says he doesnt want ricco and di luca in the sport, and who turned on lance the second he found out it could help his own reputation?


because he's a goodfella. you're right though, helluva a fox. bigger than lance.

and he really loves and respects cycling history.
still definitely i will have other guys i wish to win il giro more than him. seems like he will never attack on the mountains like lance after all:(:(
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,430
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

12 Nov 2012 16:57

I have altered the name of this thread. The spelling mistake was driving me crazy.

Susan
I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,706
Joined: 05 Mar 2009 14:18
Location: Germany

12 Nov 2012 17:41

jens_attacks wrote:because he's a goodfella. you're right though, helluva a fox. bigger than lance.

and he really loves and respects cycling history.
still definitely i will have other guys i wish to win il giro more than him. seems like he will never attack on the mountains like lance after all:(:(


by not defending his tour title :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

12 Nov 2012 17:52

HiCadence wrote:I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a brit and a brit that has won the tour de france than anything else i bet you it would be completely different had he been riding as say an [B]italian[B] or french rider.

It's just discrimination and it's really sad to see it.


I will speak on behalf of all eyetalian and say we are sorry that Mr.Wiggins is given a hard time because of us,though we don't know what we did.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8,107
Joined: 30 Sep 2011 10:17
Location: Rubber Plantation.

12 Nov 2012 18:01

Susan Westemeyer wrote:I have altered the name of this thread. The spelling mistake was driving me crazy.
Susan


Me too but I figured I was the only one.:)
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,988
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

12 Nov 2012 18:09

Angliru wrote:Me too but I figured I was the only one.:)


that rogue capital K is annoying too......
say it ain't so, Joe please, say it ain't so, I'm sure they're telling us lies Joe, please tell us it ain't so
they told us our hero has played his trump card he doesn't know how to go on, we're clinging to his charm and determined smile, but the good old days are gone........ were gonna get burned, burned.....
User avatar wilts rover
Junior Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 08:14

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rechtschreibfehl3r, TI-Raleigh and 19 guests

Back to top