Register

Wiggins knocked off bike, broken ribs suspected.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

08 Nov 2012 11:15

Cancellator wrote:When reading an article about this in the mainstream press (i.e. Yahoo UK), I was simply shocked at all the negative comments. Instead of wishing their TDF/Olympic champ a speedy recovery, it seems that most people are thinking along these lines:

...not all bike rider are as arrogant, but in my experience most are...most accidents involving bikes is the riders direct fault and stupidity.

The only certainty is that our roads are not fit for both cars and cycles.

most cyclists are a nuisance on the road

If cars and motorcycles need insurance to be on the road (and horses?) then bikes need insurance.

This is just round the corner from my gym - where I ride the static bikes because it is too dangerous to ride on the narrow local country roads.

Kind of depressing isn't it?

It is, yes.
DominicDecoco

08 Nov 2012 11:29

The rumours that it was Chris Froome;s girlfriend driving the van are yet to be substansiated.....

lol :D... if its true, then Froome better watch out for wiggos girlfriend
Task_Force

08 Nov 2012 11:37

Pricey_sky wrote:As people have already on here, perhaps he prefers riding in the dark so he can just get on with riding. Perhaps he was busy during the morning/afternoon yesterday so could only ride his bike last evening.

Riding during the evening is common in alot of countries.

why is he training on his bike in early november. seems a bit excessive
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

08 Nov 2012 11:40

Cancellator wrote:When reading an article about this in the mainstream press (i.e. Yahoo UK), I was simply shocked at all the negative comments. Instead of wishing their TDF/Olympic champ a speedy recovery, it seems that most people are thinking along these lines:

...not all bike rider are as arrogant, but in my experience most are...most accidents involving bikes is the riders direct fault and stupidity.

If cars and motorcycles need insurance to be on the road (and horses?) then bikes need insurance.

This is just round the corner from my gym - where I ride the static bikes because it is too dangerous to ride on the narrow local country roads.

well they are right. especially amateur bikeriders annoy the living **** out of me. sometimes with up to 15-20 guys riding 3 or 4 rows(even in small roads) blocking the entire road thinking they are pro's and often when you are honking they put up fingers or start shouting. one time I had such a small peloton blocking my car when I overtook them my friend opened the window to throw one of the front guys of his bike.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

08 Nov 2012 11:58

Ryo Hazuki wrote:well they are right. especially amateur bikeriders annoy the living **** out of me. sometimes with up to 15-20 guys riding 3 or 4 rows(even in small roads) blocking the entire road thinking they are pro's and often when you are honking they put up fingers or start shouting. one time I had such a small peloton blocking my car when I overtook them my friend opened the window to throw one of the front guys of his bike.

DominicDecoco

08 Nov 2012 11:59

not me, my friend
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

08 Nov 2012 12:02

Ryo Hazuki wrote:well they are right. especially amateur bikeriders annoy the living **** out of me. sometimes with up to 15-20 guys riding 3 or 4 rows(even in small roads) blocking the entire road thinking they are pro's and often when you are honking they put up fingers or start shouting. one time I had such a small peloton blocking my car when I overtook them my friend opened the window to throw one of the front guys of his bike.

I like your friend :D They also annoy me and when I tell them they should watch out because they almost ride into me or push me in the river then they start shouting and insulting. Stupid people and they always think I hate cyclists. :rolleyes:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

08 Nov 2012 12:07

Hope he bounces back quickly.
Am very glad it wasn't even more serious.
User avatar Catwhoorg

08 Nov 2012 12:10

Ryo Hazuki wrote:why is he training on his bike in early november. seems a bit excessive

Several of the Sky riders have posted pics/tweets of them beginning their aerobic base building for 2013.

Its whats expected from the team, especially for those targeting earlier races in the season. There will likely be a trip to Tenerife in January for most of the riders (2 week camp in previous years, riders arrive and depart so aren't there the whole time).

No point doing that sort of camp if you arrive without a good base block behind you.
User avatar Catwhoorg

08 Nov 2012 12:17

Was actovegin used to treat the road rash?
enrecul

08 Nov 2012 12:20

Unfortunaley this shows the ignorance of the British motorist, the amount of abuse I've had whilst riding is crazy. Most try and force you off the road by riding closer than neccessary and cutting you up.
I've been hit twice once during the day and once at night by drivers not paying attention, they don't have the manners and cultural awareness that drives in Europe do.
User avatar SimonC

08 Nov 2012 12:43

Ryo Hazuki wrote:why is he training on his bike in early november. seems a bit excessive

He's had 2 months off and has his main aim for next year less than 6 months away. Besides, I think the current Velo d'Or winner, yellow jersey and Olympic Champ knows how to prepare. I would like to know why he's out at night though. A lot of Sky' marginal gains stuff is about reducing risk. Seems a bit pointless to then go out in the dark.
King Of The Wolds

08 Nov 2012 12:53

Wiggins did train at night for the 2007 prologue. twas because he wanted empty roads.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

08 Nov 2012 13:07

The Hitch wrote:Wiggins did train at night for the 2007 prologue. twas because he wanted empty roads.

That's fair enough, but 6pm is kind of rush hour. Would understand if it was later or earlier.

Still, glad there wasn't any serious harm done, and hope he heals quickly.

As for motorists, I find that usually they are okay: cars may be bigger and stronger, but no one really wants a scratched bumper. White vans are an issue but mainly because of width and visibility. That said, some punk thought it was hilarious to drive toward me this morning whilst flicking the Vs and parping his horn.
Rake Rides Again
User avatar Avoriaz

08 Nov 2012 13:08

Sky news at the petrol station.
Cyivel

08 Nov 2012 13:22

Training at this time of year is quite normal for most cyclists. Most of them have probably started training already again...
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

08 Nov 2012 13:48

Shane Sutton knocked off this morning. Has suffered bleeding on the brain.
Frosty

08 Nov 2012 13:52

OK, after reading the news it would seem Sutton is mostly fine, so...

Who else is Sky trying to silence? :p
User avatar hrotha

08 Nov 2012 14:10

hrotha wrote:OK, after reading the news it would seem Sutton is mostly fine, so...

Who else is Sky trying to silence? :p

Let's hope so.
Otherwise, the early attempt at humour, is just that.
Mellow Velo

08 Nov 2012 15:23

There are some real narrow minded people in this world, I suggest some of the people who make comments like those take a basic logic class.

Hope Wiggins will be ok, a broken rib isn't as bad as it could have been. Riders have been able to come back from a lot worse.
User avatar Afrank

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing