Register

Wiggins knocked off bike, broken ribs suspected.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

09 Nov 2012 15:15

Zam_Olyas wrote:Dude, that is the dream but you shoud be prepared to be disappointed if you are a fan, i know i am..he almost made me go crazy at this year Giro. :mad: :D

Well even past his prime he could probably light up a race more than Wiggins :D. I don't expect him to do much in the way of GC though, just like Scarponi he appears to be past his prime. I just put a bunch of the big names up that could provide more entertainment then Wiggo.

adamski101 wrote:and of course all of these people making these comments have met Mr & Mrs Wiggins and are totally able to form an unbiased opinion of their personalities and charachters. i'm guessing that is from the Daily Mail or the Scum.

utter crap.

So your saying because we don't personally know the Wiggins we shouldn't be calling this a jerk move? I'm sure in private Wiggins is a perfectly nice guy but we're not talking about who he is in private. We're talking about how he acts in public and how those actions make him look. And flipping someone off, no matter who it is, does not reflect well on his public persona. Wiggins has never been in the pubic eye as much as he is right now, he's not use to it. And he probably doesn't get that there is a certain way you should act.
User avatar Afrank

09 Nov 2012 15:30

So your saying because we don't personally know the Wiggins we shouldn't be calling this a jerk move? I'm sure in private Wiggins is a perfectly nice guy but we're not talking about who he is in private. We're talking about how he acts in public and how those actions make him look. And flipping someone off, no matter who it is, does not reflect well on his public persona. Wiggins has never been in the pubic eye as much as he is right now, he's not use to it. And he probably doesn't get that there is a certain way you should act.[/QUOTE]

not syaing that you or others are not allowed to criticize his gesture yesterday, i don't think it was the brightest move ever, my comment was related to the posts that were shown by people posting on the daily mail, judging him and his wife by their car they drive etc, etc. none of them no them and in no position to form an opinion based on what the bloody wing mirrors on the car look like. Fact is yes he has a responsibility nowadays, but he is not the first, nor the last sportsman, celebrity etc to lose their rag at some pap shoving a camera where it is not requied. there are far worst things in British society nowadays then a sportsman showing the finger. Even Seb Coe did it in 1984 when he won the Olympics 1500m and it did him little harm.
adamski101

09 Nov 2012 15:32

So...the reigning Tour-champion, "worlds most famous cyclist" according to some and the "supposed-to-be" patrón of the pelotón flips the bird to the public? What a way to draw more negative attention to cycling as it already is.

Need i say the Lance is strong with this one?
People who don't understand cycling must think Contador is a pretty violent person, when all they hear is Contador ATTACKS, ATTACKS ,ATTACKS

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/
User avatar No_Balls

09 Nov 2012 15:36

It's not exactly the sort of thing that improves the relationship between cyclists and motorists in traffic. Wiggins had a golden opportunity to get the road safety message out, but no, instead flips the finger into a camera. Way to promote cycling!
User avatar HL2037

09 Nov 2012 15:42

the thing about responsability in the eyes of the kids once again...pathetic.

the fans who want athletes to be saints and the disgusting gutter press should fucc off

what an opportunity for wiggo's haters eh? at least he gives you material for living. that's good now with lance gone. perfect.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

09 Nov 2012 15:45

jens_attacks wrote:the thing about responsability in the eyes of the kids once again...pathetic.

The fans who want athletes to be saints and the disgusting gutter press should fucc off

what an opportunity for wiggo's haters eh? At least he gives you material for living. That's good now with lance gone. Perfect.

+1

"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

09 Nov 2012 15:55

jens_attacks wrote:the thing about responsability in the eyes of the kids once again...pathetic.

the fans who want athletes to be saints and the disgusting gutter press should fucc off

what an opportunity for wiggo's haters eh? at least he gives you material for living. that's good now with lance gone. perfect.

I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a brit and a brit that has won the tour de france than anything else i bet you it would be completely different had he been riding as say an italian or french rider.

It's just discrimination and it's really sad to see it.
User avatar HiCadence

09 Nov 2012 16:19

I know someone who raced with his wife on the track a few times and she has a reputation of being a hard nut and not being scared of voicing her opinions
User avatar MartinGT

09 Nov 2012 16:25

Wiggo can always apologize if he wants to. He's responsible for what he says, if he didn't mean it, then he can always say so. His actions speak louder.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

09 Nov 2012 16:37

The bloke is a tool.

If this was a footballer he would have been hung now by the majority of posters on here.
User avatar MartinGT

09 Nov 2012 16:39

Picture this you've been an accident, broken your ribs, probably haven't slept well, on various painkillers, food was probably **** and bunch of idiots are shoving cameras in your face.

Would you not be even a little ****ed off?
MatParker117

09 Nov 2012 17:01

He said he was happy he now earns a footballer's wage. The footballer's treatment comes with it.

Although I don't particularly like the gesture, I can't be bothered by it.
User avatar Arnout

09 Nov 2012 18:54

HL2037 wrote:It's not exactly the sort of thing that improves the relationship between cyclists and motorists in traffic. Wiggins had a golden opportunity to get the road safety message out, but no, instead flips the finger into a camera. Way to promote cycling!

And there is a good chance to he will - like he did this summer. But let the guy get home first

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/bradley-wiggins-speaks-out-about-road-safety-as-cyclist-killed-in-accident-with-olympic-bus-is-named-8000839.html
Rake Rides Again
User avatar Avoriaz

09 Nov 2012 18:59

adamski101 wrote:and of course all of these people making these comments have met Mr & Mrs Wiggins and are totally able to form an unbiased opinion of their personalities and charachters.

utter crap.

“I say they’re just ****ing ****ers,” Wiggins said. “I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own bone idleness because they can’t imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives.
“It’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of ****,” Wiggins added, “rather than get off their own arses in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something. And that’s ultimately what counts. C**ts.”
And with that, he tossed the microphone on the table and got up and left.

and this..

Wiggins has vacillated between calm moments and outbursts this year. He’s normally composed before the press, but he can be set off with the slightest provocation, at which point he turns particularly snarly.
At the Tour of Romandie, he departed a press conference with the shot, “Come back tomorrow with some better questions,” and already at the Tour he had some choice words (including that certain curse word again) for a cameraman who nearly collided with him, intentionally shoving the camera off the man’s shoulder even as he’d come to a near-complete stop and was not actually in danger.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2012/07/08/in-wiggins-foul-mouthed-rant-at-tour-de-france-doubt-hope-and-trust-take-spotlight/

One's actions and behaviour are how people form opinions. Or do you expect Bradley to invite the whole world for tea and biscuits and then we can really get to know him....I would say your comment is utter crap.
User avatar Cycle Chic

09 Nov 2012 19:05

Cycle Chic wrote:and this..

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2012/07/08/in-wiggins-foul-mouthed-rant-at-tour-de-france-doubt-hope-and-trust-take-spotlight/

One's actions and behavior are how people form opinions. Or do you expect Bradley to invite the whole world for tea and biscuits and then we can really get to know him....I would say your comment is utter crap.

Have you often met any so-called journalists willing to "admit to their provocative actions and behavior"? just a few experiences watching how most operate at the end of a race or stage is enough to fantasize keeping them leashed and muzzled in some back-lot dog pen. I do not support Wiggins' reactions but I surely understand them
User avatar Dedelou

09 Nov 2012 19:37

Wiggins apologizes for the finger gesture, a smart and good move.

“I would like to apologise for the gesture that I made when I arrived home yesterday afternoon,” he said via a team communication today. “I was tired, in a lot of pain, and just wanted to get inside, but I shouldn’t have reacted the way I did. I’m sorry for that.”

His injuries also appear to be a bit more serious than originally thought.

Further tests have shown that he has a fractured rib, a bruised lung and that one of his fingers are dislocated.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13262/Recovering-Wiggins-thanks-fans-apologises-for-one-fingered-gesture.aspx
User avatar Afrank

09 Nov 2012 19:43

Typical over reaction from Daily Mail types. All he did was make a rude gesture to some scumbag paps. Big deal. He's not the Pope, just a famous cyclist who happens to have a bit of rock 'n' roll attitude about him. Get over it and concentrate on something more important. I've never seen McQuaid or Verbruggen do such terrible gestures - must mean they are OK?
TrackCynic

09 Nov 2012 19:45

Bradley Wiggins
"I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and messages over the last 48 hours, and of course all the staff at the Royal Preston Hospital who looked after me so well.

Although I’m still a little bit sore I will now be spending time at home with my family and concentrating on making a full recovery.

I would also like to apologise for the gesture that I made when I arrived home yesterday afternoon. I was tired, in a lot of pain, and just wanted to get inside, but I shouldn’t have reacted the way I did. I’m sorry for that.

I’m looking forward to getting back on the bike soon and continuing my preparations for the 2013 season."

Taken from his facebook page.
User avatar HiCadence

09 Nov 2012 20:18

TrackCynic wrote:Typical over reaction from Daily Mail types. All he did was make a rude gesture to some scumbag paps. Big deal. He's not the Pope, just a famous cyclist who happens to have a bit of rock 'n' roll attitude about him. Get over it and concentrate on something more important. I've never seen McQuaid or Verbruggen do such terrible gestures - must mean they are OK?
I guess it was a big deal - he apologized. :rolleyes:
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

09 Nov 2012 22:01

HL2037 wrote:It's not exactly the sort of thing that improves the relationship between cyclists and motorists in traffic. Wiggins had a golden opportunity to get the road safety message out, but no, instead flips the finger into a camera. Way to promote cycling!

The best comment. The golden opportunity goes out. Just a statement of apology, perhaps forced by the team.
User avatar pdluz7

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing