Log in:  

Register

women are right!

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

18 Nov 2012 10:29

And this contributes to the discussion... what? "My girlfriend agrees with me". Good for you, son.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

18 Nov 2012 10:45

Ryo Hazuki wrote:my girlfriend btw is a female cyclists and she actually hates woman cycling and woman sports in general. if she ever watches sport, which is usually only cycling. she watches only the men. she fits me like a glove :)


Does your girlfriend know you see women as pathetic?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,443
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

18 Nov 2012 11:02

The Hitch wrote:Does your girlfriend know you see women as pathetic?


Ryo actually has more than one kindred spirit:

Riccardo Riccò wrote:People know I don’t like her [Vania Rossi] racing, you can imagine what I think about her taking anything. Cycling isn’t for women, it hurts too much.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,072
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

18 Nov 2012 11:18

theyoungest wrote:And this contributes to the discussion... what? "My girlfriend agrees with me". Good for you, son.


no, it contributes to the discussion that woman often(in my experience) prefer male sport over female sports(see also football). so the whole sexist argument flies out of the window.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,413
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

18 Nov 2012 11:19

The Hitch wrote:Does your girlfriend know you see women as pathetic?


pathetic in sports yes. not pathetic in everything else. big difference
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,413
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

18 Nov 2012 15:11

I am actually surprised that RyoSan even have a gf.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,980
Joined: 30 Sep 2011 10:17
Location: Rubber Plantation.

18 Nov 2012 19:46

Ryo Hazuki wrote:no, it contributes to the discussion that woman often(in my experience) prefer male sport over female sports(see also football). so the whole sexist argument flies out of the window.


Unless you'd want to argue that both men and women are sexist against women, as I'm sure some would if this was established scientifically.

I agree, though, there's not much difference between male and female sports fans, in my experience. Most want the same: to see the world's best athletes in a given sport and specialism compete with each other. There are other kinds of sports fans to be sure, but for most sports (there are sports where the gender gap doesn't matter much or at all, visually) most want to see the best of the best.

That doesn't mean that there is no room for pro women's sports in addition to pro men's sports, but for MOST sports (again, there are exceptions) the men's sport has to be sufficiently big first.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

18 Nov 2012 20:37

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:. Most want the same: to see the world's best athletes in a given sport and specialism compete with each other. There are other kinds of sports fans to be sure, but for most sports (there are sports where the gender gap doesn't matter much or at all, visually) most want to see the best of the best.
.



If this were true how comes 90% of sports fans only watch football and most of them only watch their local league.

it seems to me that people only watch what they think is important. In india thats their cricket league in the us nfl in europe and south america the respective football leagues etc.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,443
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

19 Nov 2012 07:17

The Hitch wrote:If this were true how comes 90% of sports fans only watch football and most of them only watch their local league.

it seems to me that people only watch what they think is important. In india thats their cricket league in the us nfl in europe and south america the respective football leagues etc.


That's not what I meant, silly. We were discussing the relative popularity of men's sports versus women's sports in a certain field, exceptions where the gender gap doesn't matter (much) from an "entertainment" point of view notwithstanding. Fine, the best individuals on a national level, in a national league, in a pro sport that happens to have a certain popularity in a certain country / culture. LOL, how argumentative can you get? Way to sidetrack the issue.

Women's pro sports are relatively impopular across the globe. At some point it stops being a cultural or country-specific "problem".

A key point that feminists ignore, is that men are not just physically and tactically superior, but also naturally much more likely to be daredevils. That matters so much in sports like road cycling (sprints, descents, etc.)

No, it's not fair to women. But it's so much more unfair to the handicapped and probably even more so for the intersexed. It's also not fair to the vast majority of normal, comparatively biologically "disadvantaged" men. That's the beauty of it all... it isn't fair.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

19 Nov 2012 09:32

It shouldn't be surprising that some fans of a sport dominated by white, Caucasian men hold views such as the one above. Just by displaying an interest in women's racing you're considered a "feminist" in the eyes of these people.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

19 Nov 2012 10:34

theyoungest wrote:It shouldn't be surprising that some fans of a sport dominated by white, Caucasian men hold views such as the one above. Just by displaying an interest in women's racing you're considered a "feminist" in the eyes of these people.


Not at all, but there does seems to be a correlation. As others have noted, it certainly LOOKS like it's a human rights issue for many here. Just based on their arguments. I'm not white or "Caucasian," by the way. I'm happy the sport is diversifying somewhat on the highest level. It's a ridiculous assertion anyway, that white dominance has anything to do with a global preference for men's sports, exceptions notwithstanding.

I acknowledged that some fans aren't like the majority (3 posts above). Sure, some would like to watch it all, including U23, including women's cycling, etc., but there are reasons to believe that it will be tough to commercialize it. U23 as well. The sport is probably too small for that.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

19 Nov 2012 12:35

Zam_Olyas wrote:I am actually surprised that RyoSan even have a gf.


you'd be surprised

although the real ryo hazuki would never hook up with a chick :P
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,413
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boardslide, classicomano, djpbaltimore, Eagle, Forunculo, Gigs_98, Hakkapelit, Jakob747, Mayomaniac, mortand, pablohidalgo7, PunchingRouleur, seldon71, Son of Amsterhammer, Taxus4a, Windsor1334 and 53 guests

Back to top