Register

Giro del Lazio returns

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Giro del Lazio returns

15 Nov 2012 21:50

According to the cyclingnews article, the Giro del Lazio may be returning as an early March race. It looks as though RCS has it down for the Saturday after Omloop, with the Strade Bianche being moved to the Sunday.

Nice to see Lazio return, and I'm a particular fan of the Rome region - I like the sound of going over the Appia Antica cobbles. Those things are so big they make Roubaix cobbles look like little stones.Image

That said, is moving Strade Bianche to the Sunday a good thing? I'm not sure. I love that race and it's just started getting TV coverage. It will now be going head to head with Paris-Nice. Given the choice between Strade Bianche and Paris-Nice opening stage, I'd pick Strade Bianche every time, and I won't be alone on this forum on that one - but will the TV companies see it that way? Somehow I doubt it. Strade Bianche won't miss out on riders because of this but we as fans might be the losers.
Cult Classics

15 Nov 2012 22:20

Cult Classics wrote:According to the cyclingnews article, the Giro del Lazio may be returning as an early March race. It looks as though RCS has it down for the Saturday after Omloop, with the Strade Bianche being moved to the Sunday.

Nice to see Lazio return, and I'm a particular fan of the Rome region - I like the sound of going over the Appia Antica cobbles. Those things are so big they make Roubaix cobbles look like little stones.Image

That said, is moving Strade Bianche to the Sunday a good thing? I'm not sure. I love that race and it's just started getting TV coverage. It will now be going head to head with Paris-Nice. Given the choice between Strade Bianche and Paris-Nice opening stage, I'd pick Strade Bianche every time, and I won't be alone on this forum on that one - but will the TV companies see it that way? Somehow I doubt it. Strade Bianche won't miss out on riders because of this but we as fans might be the losers.

if that is an actual pic of the road they are talking about it would be ridiculous. those are carriage tracks you see worn out in the stones, it would be an absolute deathtrap with all the crashes.
User avatar gerundium

15 Nov 2012 22:50

gerundium wrote:if that is an actual pic of the road they are talking about it would be ridiculous. those are carriage tracks you see worn out in the stones, it would be an absolute deathtrap with all the crashes.

That is the same road (it's a long road, an old Roman road), but I don't know how much of the road they would ride or whether that specific bit above. The photo's just one I found on a well-known encyclopaedic website.
Cult Classics

16 Nov 2012 00:40

I think most of the road has those carriage tracks though. Fascinating to see. Beautiful road. You'd probably need Roubaix bikes to ride this race if true. Or at least for that part of the race.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

16 Nov 2012 12:55

actually the race parcours DID use parts of this Appia road, with those huge stones, but I can't find any pictures (I think they used it until 93 or 95)
pastronef

16 Nov 2012 13:45

I walked along a few kilometres of that road and it was painful enough, never mind doing it on a bike!

Is nobody else down about Strade Bianche moving to Sunday (and so probably not getting on TV outside Italy as broadcasters choose Paris-Nice)?
Cult Classics

16 Nov 2012 14:56

Cult Classics wrote:I walked along a few kilometres of that road and it was painful enough, never mind doing it on a bike!

Is nobody else down about Strade Bianche moving to Sunday (and so probably not getting on TV outside Italy as broadcasters choose Paris-Nice)?

SB conflicting with P-N is a problem. The race has real potential way beyond Italy and could generate excitement to fans outside the niche online stream hunters.

Cycling needs to get the stuff that really works in focus.
Dazed and Confused

16 Nov 2012 15:19

Dazed and Confused wrote:SB conflicting with P-N is a problem. The race has real potential way beyond Italy and could generate excitement to fans outside the niche online stream hunters.

Cycling needs to get the stuff that really works in focus.

Agree. Meanwhile expect 2 hours of coverage on flat stages of the Tour of Poland.
Cult Classics

16 Nov 2012 15:44

Cult Classics wrote:Agree. Meanwhile expect 2 hours of coverage on flat stages of the Tour of Poland.

Well TdP in 2012 was possibly most exciting stage race along TdS and Tirreno. So if you didn't watch it, don't post bull**** statements.

On other hand, would be great to see this race on.
Gloin22

30 Nov 2012 18:30

gerundium wrote:if that is an actual pic of the road they are talking about it would be ridiculous. those are carriage tracks you see worn out in the stones, it would be an absolute deathtrap with all the crashes.

There are a few sections of the road that look like that, but most of it is in nice little cobbles very similar to the PR ones (but probably in better conditions). They could very well take other roads to avoid those bad sectors. Or just leave them as they are and have fun :D
Depending how they'll design this it could be VERY challenging. The cobbles sector would be various kms long, and the Via Appia ends in Rome itself, so the finishing line wouldn't be far. I'd say 5 kms at most. I'm bumping this thread because I think this will be the race to be held on the Friday before MSR, as RCS hinted.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

30 Nov 2012 18:33

from Streetview
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

30 Nov 2012 19:15

Eshnar wrote:Image
from Streetview

Significant potential.
Dazed and Confused

30 Nov 2012 20:09

Cult Classics wrote:Image

Time to break out the CX and Mountain bikes :D.

Eshnar wrote:There are a few sections of the road that look like that, but most of it is in nice little cobbles very similar to the PR ones (but probably in better conditions). They could very well take other roads to avoid those bad sectors. Or just leave them as they are and have fun
Depending how they'll design this it could be VERY challenging. The cobbles sector would be various kms long, and the Via Appia ends in Rome itself, so the finishing line wouldn't be far. I'd say 5 kms at most. I'm bumping this thread because I think this will be the race to be held on the Friday before MSR, as RCS hinted.

What! Where's the fun in that! I propose we start petitioning them to find the worst road with the biggest cobbles and put them in the route. Maybe even create some cobble roads with some really big cobbles and make the course a loop. 200 km of riding over cobbles the size of the ones in the picture. :D [SIZE="1"]Or maybe even bigger...hmm[/SIZE]
And of course they would have to put a few climbs in. Imagine going over cobbles that size up hill! :eek:
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

30 Nov 2012 20:14

Afrank wrote:Time to break out the CX and Mountain bikes :D.

What! Where's the fun in that! I propose we start petitioning them to find the worst road with the biggest cobbles and put them in the route. Maybe even create some cobble roads with some really big cobbles and make the course a loop. 200 km of riding over cobbles the size of the ones in the picture. :D [SIZE="1"]Or maybe even bigger...hmm[/SIZE]
And of course they would have to put a few climbs in. Imagine going over cobbles that size up hill! :eek:

15 teams of 5 each. Lets go.
Dazed and Confused

30 Nov 2012 20:28

Eshnar wrote: I'm bumping this thread because I think this will be the race to be held on the Friday before MSR, as RCS hinted.

I think they will put this on the Saturday before Strade Bianche (already moved to a Sunday) and then move Tirreno-Adriatico back a day so it ends on a Wednesday - it also means T-A has one less day head-to-head with Paris-Nice.
Cult Classics

Return to Professional road racing