Register

Sportsmanship: a comparative case study

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who was right, who was wrong?

Luiz Adriano and Contador were right
21%
Luiz Adriano and Contador were wrong
9%
Luiz Adriano was right, Contador was wrong
3%
Luiz Adriano was wrong, Contador was right
68%

Total votes : 34

23 Nov 2012 20:52

Your constant attempts to sound like the worlds foremost expert on ancient history because you did a module on it in an undergraduate degree at your local university, really do not impress as many people as you think.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

23 Nov 2012 22:12

It's more like Gadret than Contador.
phanatic

24 Nov 2012 01:39

Contador was right. Andy attacked wrong.
User avatar pdluz7

24 Nov 2012 04:51

The Shaktar player did the wrong thing which is why he is up before the match committee. It was a stupid thing to do, so was celebrating the goal but as someone else said, there is so much acting now in football that it's hard to watch. In cycling, attacking through feed zones is supposed to be a no no but it happens, used to happen more. As for chaingate, you had the Cancellara neutralised stage which was also a joke. I think Schleck has to cop it, these incidents or similar ones are not so rare. If he punctured instead of having a chain problem no one would have waited. Interesting though that the much maligned Wiggins waited for Evans in the Tour's tack stage and asked the other riders to wait except for Rolland who supposedly had not heard what happened. I think the decision should left to the individual. There will always be opportunities for payback later.
movingtarget

24 Nov 2012 11:38

movingtarget wrote:the shaktar player did the wrong thing which is why he is up before the match committee. It was a stupid thing to do, so was celebrating the goal but as someone else said, there is so much acting now in football that it's hard to watch. In cycling, attacking through feed zones is supposed to be a no no but it happens, used to happen more. As for chaingate, you had the cancellara neutralised stage which was also a joke. I think schleck has to cop it, these incidents or similar ones are not so rare. If he punctured instead of having a chain problem no one would have waited. Interesting though that the much maligned wiggins waited for evans in the tour's tack stage and asked the other riders to wait except for rolland who supposedly had not heard what happened. I think the decision should left to the individual. There will always be opportunities for payback later.

+ 1
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

24 Nov 2012 11:54

movingtarget wrote:The Shaktar player did the wrong thing which is why he is up before the match committee. It was a stupid thing to do, so was celebrating the goal but as someone else said, there is so much acting now in football that it's hard to watch. In cycling, attacking through feed zones is supposed to be a no no but it happens, used to happen more. As for chaingate, you had the Cancellara neutralised stage which was also a joke. I think Schleck has to cop it, these incidents or similar ones are not so rare. If he punctured instead of having a chain problem no one would have waited. Interesting though that the much maligned Wiggins waited for Evans in the Tour's tack stage and asked the other riders to wait except for Rolland who supposedly had not heard what happened. I think the decision should left to the individual. There will always be opportunities for payback later.

Why was it the wrong thing? It was not against the rules, was it? Who then determines what is right and wrong? Certainly not some sort of rule that talks about sportive behavior, in which case his action can only be valued after the event happened.

I simply don't see how you can demand sportive behavior, as it is very subjective. It's up to the individual to determine their behavior and as soon as other people are gonna judge what is sportive and what is not, the behavior is not sportive anymore by definition, but rather a simple follow-the-rule action.
User avatar Arnout

24 Nov 2012 16:10

silverrocket wrote:The video clearly show that he collided face-into-shoulder with the other guy, and was holding his face as he flopped around on the ground. Video also shows him smiling as soon as he stood up. His "crippling face injury" was quite fleeting, wasn't it?!

I only saw this video:
http://smotri.com/video/view/?id=v2315936a652

Don't know what you saw. The way I see it, it's chest/elbow not face/shoulder. Hiding your face seems like a pretty normal reaction when hurt, even if not hurt in the face. But that's completely beside the point. FCN didn't gain anything by the game being stopped in that situation since they were in control of the ball.
User avatar Magnus

Previous

Return to Professional road racing