Log in:  

Register

Pure climbers.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

22 Nov 2012 22:33

I think the 2011 Giro D'Italia Rujano was the third best pure climber of the last five years only after Contador and Andy Schleck. In 2007 also Rasmussen was stronger IMO.
User avatar Jason_Mercier
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,077
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 10:59

22 Nov 2012 22:35

Ryo Hazuki wrote:to up the level of cycling knowledge and understanding, that would be even more dreadful without me


well, let us know when you start with the intelligent bits.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,887
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

22 Nov 2012 22:37

Libertine Seguros wrote:Nah, Horner claimed to be the 2nd best climber in the world. Rujano claimed to be the 3rd best, naming Contador and Rodríguez as the top 2. At that point Rodríguez had only just moved from Caisse d'Epargne to Katyusha, so it was seen as crazy from that angle too.

Anyway, guys like Tiernan-Locke and Jelle Vanendert are a bit too classics-styled for me to think of as pure climbers, though I guess you could argue that that makes them little different to Purito.



Ah, yeah, Rujano also was there, saying funny staff.

Tiernan-Locke, I´m not so sure what type of rider he will become. I think apart from Route du Sud 2012, he probably never rode km-long mountains in any competition. At Murcia, he was even good in TT.
Will be very interesting to see what he can do in 2012. We know not much about him: how will he recover in 10- or 21 day long stage races? What about long climbs and TTs? Does he do well also in the heat?
Given what he showed in 2012, I could imagine and strongly hope he´ll be a factor in 2013.
One race should fit him perfectly, that´s, of course... Fleche Wallonne.
He´s in the right hands at Sky, they´ll build him up slowly, knowing he´s still fresh for a 1984 born rider, though probably lacks tactical skills.
I think they won´t demand 100 race days from him, given he certainly never had more than max. 40-60 a year all career long.
Would like to see him shine right from the start, at TDU´s Willunga Hill, but expect him to rather kick off in Oman or Algarve, dependent on where Sky will be st the start line.
RHRH19861986
Junior Member
 
Posts: 988
Joined: 17 Mar 2012 14:33
Location: Germany, Europe

22 Nov 2012 22:37

RHRH19861986 wrote:If you define "pure climber" as someone who can´t sprint, can´t TT, can´t win a race like Roubaix, then I´d change most names you named. Quintana, Rujano and Pozzovivo can stay.

To add just a few:
Nieve
Santambrogio
Zaugg
Szmyd
Jelle Vanendert

All GC guys have to be good in climbing and TT, and in the important stage races, if they recover properly and keep their HCTs up, good climbers suddenly also show good TTs, remember 55-Kilo-Pantani.


Igor Anton should be in that list too.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,753
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

22 Nov 2012 22:39

HiCadence wrote:
1. Locke
2. Wiggins
3. Froome
4. Zubeldia
5. Horner
6. Valverde
7. moncoutie
8. Visconti
9. Contador
10. Gesink


You have to be kidding! (the riders in bold)

....and how is Visconti in this list????
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,753
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

22 Nov 2012 22:41

RHRH19861986 wrote:Who claimed he was the best climber in the world behind Contador and Rodrigue? Wasn´t it Horner?



Actually Horner said behind Contador and Andy Schleck.

Rujano said he was the 3rd best behind Contador and Purito.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,753
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

22 Nov 2012 22:43

Ryo Hazuki wrote:mother of god... people with so little sense of cycling should just not comment


Dazed and Confused wrote:So why are you even on this forum?


Vino attacks everyone wrote:Basso? ........


Dazed and Confused wrote:Will probably be part of Sagan's lead out train in 2013.


You're on fire today! :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,445
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

22 Nov 2012 22:43

shades1 wrote:in recent years contador and schleck are a mile in front of all these young pretenders and if AS can recover fully from his injury there is still plenty more to come , not that many on this forum will agree as its just a contador love forum and pretty much hatred for schleck .


Andy gets his respect here equal to what he deserves for the most part. You seem to be about a year behind in measuring the pulse of this forum.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,753
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

22 Nov 2012 22:45

Jason_Mercier wrote:I think the 2011 Giro D'Italia Rujano was the third best pure climber of the last five years only after Contador and Andy Schleck. In 2007 also Rasmussen was stronger IMO.


the 2009 rujano was the best climber I've seen since pantani. in 2011 he was getting better and better until he got sick. but on grossglockner he was already stronger than contador imo. I will never forget etna, rujano realized there that he was even stronger than contador, before that he always thought contador was the best climber in the world.

still for rujano to shine everything must fall in place. especially the weather. he is so vulnerable wth his 48 kg
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

22 Nov 2012 22:46

Dazed and Confused wrote:well, let us know when you start with the intelligent bits.


it would be pointless to tell you, as you couldn't see intelligence if it was personified in a naked girl dancing on a wide open field, holding a board with "intelligence" on it
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

22 Nov 2012 22:55

Angliru wrote:Actually Horner said behind Contador and Andy Schleck.

Rujano said he was the 3rd best behind Contador and Purito.


OK, so now that´s interesting.

1. Contador
2. ASchleck/Purito
3. Rujano/Horner

Hmmm... Horny, is he serious? Well, courageous statement.

Just love this guy. you know the Youtube video where he said he once lost 12 kilograms (kgs!! in one stage of the Tour de France? And his nutrition stories are epic... "I´d kill for McDonalds", "I must avoid to eat during preparing meals", and so on... Great guy!! :cool:
RHRH19861986
Junior Member
 
Posts: 988
Joined: 17 Mar 2012 14:33
Location: Germany, Europe

22 Nov 2012 23:02

Ryo Hazuki wrote:it would be pointless to tell you, as you couldn't see intelligence if it was personified in a naked girl dancing on a wide open field, holding a board with "intelligence" on it


No doubt you would spend most of your time trying to understand what "intelligence" means in this case.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,887
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

22 Nov 2012 23:05

RHRH19861986 wrote:OK, so now that´s interesting.

1. Contador
2. ASchleck/Purito
3. Rujano/Horner

Hmmm... Horny, is he serious? Well, courageous statement.

Just love this guy. you know the Youtube video where he said he once lost 12 kilograms (kgs!! in one stage of the Tour de France? And his nutrition stories are epic... "I´d kill for McDonalds", "I must avoid to eat during preparing meals", and so on... Great guy!! :cool:


Horner was riding the high of having snatched the team lead and the race lead from Leipheimer. Adrenalin flowing and all that. Still his claim was actually that Contador was the only one that could drop him, the rest they either can't shake him or he feels (or more accurately 'felt' based on his recent performances) that he can out climb them. He's a funny guy, brilliant tactical mind that reached the big leagues too early and with the wrong team to really show what he could do and then too far past his prime to have displayed what a talent he was. Ultimately politics were his biggest obstacle.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,753
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

22 Nov 2012 23:12

Angliru wrote:Horner was riding the high of having snatched the team lead and the race lead from Leipheimer. Adrenalin flowing and all that. Still his claim was actually that Contador was the only one that could drop him, the rest they either can't shake him or he feels (or more accurately 'felt' based on his recent performances) that he can out climb them. He's a funny guy, brilliant tactical mind that reached the big leagues too early and with the wrong team to really show what he could do and then too far past his prime to have displayed what a talent he was. Ultimately politics were his biggest obstacle.


Yeah, I definitely agree. Actually he lost the best years for a rider of his type after finishing his first European career part in the 90ies.

On the other hand, who knows if he´d still be active with 40+ years if he hadn´t spent five years on the American National Event scene, maybe this "break" now made him fresher for his third career part from 2005.
RHRH19861986
Junior Member
 
Posts: 988
Joined: 17 Mar 2012 14:33
Location: Germany, Europe

22 Nov 2012 23:18

Jason_Mercier wrote:Nice list. Only one thing. IMO Antón is overrated. I think Pierre Rolland is far better and younger. How i can forget Nieve:eek::D


I like Rolland better as well! Anyway please don't put too much into the seeding of the bottom five. :)

I. Anton on his day is spectacular. However, it seems there is getting longer and longer between those days! Absolutely correct.

Zoncolan 2011 - Alto del Morredero 2010 - Flumserberg 2008 - Morgins 2007 -Calar Alto 2006 however, where all excellent performances, which are firmly printed in my memory
Jakob747
Junior Member
 
Posts: 235
Joined: 10 Jun 2009 17:33
Location: Colombia

22 Nov 2012 23:20

Ryo Hazuki wrote:the 2009 rujano was the best climber I've seen since pantani. in 2011 he was getting better and better until he got sick. but on grossglockner he was already stronger than contador imo. I will never forget etna, rujano realized there that he was even stronger than contador, before that he always thought contador was the best climber in the world.

still for rujano to shine everything must fall in place. especially the weather. he is so vulnerable wth his 48 kg


Image

These guys are easily better (Although Contador is definitely not a pure climber)
burning
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,209
Joined: 29 Feb 2012 21:33

22 Nov 2012 23:23

RHRH19861986 wrote:Yeah, I definitely agree. Actually he lost the best years for a rider of his type after finishing his first European career part in the 90ies.

On the other hand, who knows if he´d still be active with 40+ years if he hadn´t spent five years on the American National Event scene, maybe this "break" now made him fresher for his third career part from 2005.


You're right, his time racing domestically likely allowed him to have such a long career, although his attitude about the sport itself is such that he just enjoys riding and racing his bike so it's likely he'd still be racing but maybe the locations would be reversed where he'd maybe closing out his career riding in the states.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,753
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

22 Nov 2012 23:26

I'd be curious to see a poll of who the best climbers are period regardless of whether they're a "pure" climber or not. I'll have to do a search to see if a thread already exists.

Edit: From last year:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=13688&highlight=climbers
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,753
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

23 Nov 2012 00:12

Angliru wrote:You're right, his time racing domestically likely allowed him to have such a long career, although his attitude about the sport itself is such that he just enjoys riding and racing his bike so it's likely he'd still be racing but maybe the locations would be reversed where he'd maybe closing out his career riding in the states.


I suppose he´ll leave the WT scene after 2013, maybe even after 2014, and come back to showing up in the US national scene after that.

... and, of course, then finally McDonalds will be allowed to provide the rocket fuel for the crits around the skyscrapers... :D
RHRH19861986
Junior Member
 
Posts: 988
Joined: 17 Mar 2012 14:33
Location: Germany, Europe

23 Nov 2012 09:35

So essentially a pure climber is someone that is useless at time trialling...
BlenJones2
Junior Member
 
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Oct 2012 10:40

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: avanti, DFA123, Geraint Too Fast, The Blues, togo95 and 50 guests

Back to top