Register

Future cobbles challengers.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

28 Nov 2012 13:27

Ryo Hazuki wrote:so, that is funny?

Hence he practically never rode any U23 races. :rolleyes:

Cancellara was already riding small pro races at age 19.

Regardless, he rode his first Ronde van Vlaanderen at age 22 and his first Roubaix at age 23(coming in fourth).
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

28 Nov 2012 17:02

maltiv wrote:You also have to be insanely good technically (which he is not) and extremely tough/fearless when it comes to positioning (which he is not).

Tony Martin hasn't got any endurance. That's why his main focus every season is time trials and one week races with lots of TT kms. There are many riders with the engine and weight on a short distance, but who lack endurance after 200 kms. It also takes a certain mentality of just focussing on finishing and enduring each pavé, which some riders aren't able to do.
User avatar Pentacycle

28 Nov 2012 19:55

No more Flecha, EBH likely won't ever win Roubaix, Stannards time to shine? He thinks so.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stannard-inspired-for-cobbles-of-paris-roubaix
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

28 Nov 2012 20:09

definitely possible. absolute beast of a rider and huge engine. already predicted him that he will win 2013 roubaix in style.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

09 Dec 2013 04:31

So who are we looking out for in 2014? Cancellara, Boonen, and Sagan are obvious, will Sagan do PR? What do we expect from Ballan coming back, Chavanel on a new team? Who are the youngsters to step up?
karlboss

09 Dec 2013 05:51

I'll be hoping to see some progress on the cobbles from Phinney

Not sure about Ballan, kind of an enigma with having been out a whole season and with Mantova looming.

Vandenbergh and Stybar are two very promising guys to watch for Omega, they were very impressive this year. Although their results are slightly dependent on how much work they have to do for Boonen. I expect continued improvement from Stybar though, even with working for (with?) Boonen.

Not sure how many cobbled races they'll do if any, but Trek have two of the most interesting looking prospects in Jungels and Stuyvens. Not expecting too much from them result wise this year, but they have one of the best teacher you can learn the trade of the cobbles from in Cancellara.

And the combination of Chavanel and Haussler for IAM I think could be a potent force. Chavanel for attacks and solo breaks and Haussler with the sprint.
User avatar Afrank

09 Dec 2013 10:24

In the last 20 years, there were only 5 dominant PR champs in my opinion. Dominant in the sense that when they won, they won with minutes, and they won because they accelerated where they wanted, and they were in the game for several editions, not just one good show:
Ballerini, Tafi, Museeuw, Boonen and Cancellara.

The only realistic chances for finishing first in Roubaix are for Vanmarcke, Gaudin, Turgot, Boonen, Cancellara, or Van Avermaet.
From all the nominees, only Vanmarcke can be considered as relatively 'new'.

As both Boonen and Cancellara are still competing and going for their 4th or 5th win, nobody of the outsiders will be allowed to win. And so Stybar will only win if Boonen has a problem, or if it will be a tactical race.

So forget it for the win, a 'new' rider will only be in the top 10, not even in the top 3 this year. Maybe Boom, Hushovd, Langeveld, Chavanel or Haussler can have a super day and finish top 5.
Volderke

09 Dec 2013 11:58

Don't count out Degenkolb, Kristoff, Kwiatkowski and Demare, they can become top cobbled riders. And Gilbert could also be giving it a shot, since his climbing has become worse.
User avatar Pentacycle

09 Dec 2013 12:14

Pentacycle wrote:Don't count out Degenkolb, Kristoff, Kwiatkowski and Demare, they can become top cobbled riders. And Gilbert could also be giving it a shot, since his climbing has become worse.

Can Gilbert accelerate away on the flat though?

Stybar must be a future contender
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

09 Dec 2013 12:25

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Can Gilbert accelerate away on the flat though?

Stybar must be a future contender

Zdenek already was a contender this year until that spectator hit him. And Gilbert is an unknown factor, perhaps he's getting better on pavé as he gets older.
User avatar Pentacycle

09 Dec 2013 12:32

Volderke wrote:The only realistic chances for finishing first in Roubaix are for Vanmarcke, Gaudin, Turgot, Boonen, Cancellara, or Van Avermaet.

I don't see why Gaudin or Turgot have more chances than the other outsiders. They have had 1 good P-R, that's it.
janraaskalt

09 Dec 2013 12:32

Pentacycle wrote:Zdenek already was a contender this year until that spectator hit him. And Gilbert is an unknown factor, perhaps he's getting better on pavé as he gets older.

Yeah, Gilbert may do well. No pressure from the stripes anymore either.
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

09 Dec 2013 12:53

I guess Vanmarcke shouldn't be mentioned anymore because he is al ready a contender, no? Otherwise I don't see why he isn't being mentioned in every post already, riding (almost) equally with Cancellara in past PR, despite, IIRC, being injured during the preparation of the classics.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

09 Dec 2013 16:32

Phinney has a lot of potential, and he's very young. I also like what I see with Boom.
User avatar Mr. Gipsy

09 Dec 2013 19:45

For your random surprising Frenchman this year, consider Johan Le Bon. He was 4th in De Panne this year, and 2nd in Tro-Bro Léon - behind his own teammate, so he didn't attack until near the end once Mourey's victory was assured. He's pretty good at putting down the power on the flat too (5th in the Chrono des Nations, 4th in the De Panne TT). He was 26th at Roubaix last year, satisfactorily anonymous not to be picked up for much attention, but finished ahead of some pretty notable names.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

10 Dec 2013 04:46

No mention of Hayman? He's the sole leader of Orica, doesn't have to overtrain at Tenerife this year, now has DS's that understand classics, an ok (but not great) team and won't be expected to take charge.

I think a top 5 is very possible for him. Now Flecha's retired the only riders you would say are definitely better are Boonen, Cancellara and possibly Stybar.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

10 Dec 2013 09:22

42x16ss wrote:No mention of Hayman? He's the sole leader of Orica

Don't forget Keukeleire. He might have been under the radar in the spring, but his august campaign was very promising.
janraaskalt

10 Dec 2013 09:22

No love for Vanmarcke?

He crashed in TA and had a knee injury. Only by PR he found his form again and there he was almost equal to Cancellara, losing only because of a crappy sprint. If he comes in that shape for all the cobbled classics next year, he's going to be right up there with Cancellara and Boonen. I guess barring PR Sagan will be up there as well. I also expect great things of Stybar doing so well in his first PR.

These races are very difficult to predict, but I guess there are three guys who might come close to Cancellara and Boonen level this year. Imo it will be very open and exciting. :)

EDIT: although I guess he shouldn't be mentioned in this thread as he isn't a future cobbled challanger anymore, considering he contended for the win in PR this year, despite starting the cobbled races coming out of a crash in TA.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

10 Dec 2013 10:37

Vanmarcke and Phinney strike me as the possible winners of P-R.

Kristoff, Sagan and Degenkolb for RVV. Those riders could also win PR- in fact it is probably more likely for Kristoff.

Stybar for both too?

Hepburn as an outside cobbled pick.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge

10 Dec 2013 11:26

Libertine Seguros wrote:For your random surprising Frenchman this year, consider Johan Le Bon. He was 4th in De Panne this year, and 2nd in Tro-Bro Léon - behind his own teammate, so he didn't attack until near the end once Mourey's victory was assured. He's pretty good at putting down the power on the flat too (5th in the Chrono des Nations, 4th in the De Panne TT). He was 26th at Roubaix last year, satisfactorily anonymous not to be picked up for much attention, but finished ahead of some pretty notable names.

He has great potential indeed, after having lost a fair bit of time since his junior titles. Could be a surprise in future years.

For me next year could see Stybar topple Boonen and Cancellara. He has great potential, and should be in a position of playing the Chavanel/Devolder role at OPQS while Boonen and Cancellara stay together.
veji11

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing