Register

Future cobbles challengers.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

10 Dec 2013 11:38

Stybar obviously. I wonder what his role will be this year.
Other then that, Vanmarcke more for PR than for RVV (although he is top 5 there too if fit).

From the younger riders there are a lot but it's hard to tell who will actually be top
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

10 Dec 2013 12:55

Libertine Seguros wrote:For your random surprising Frenchman this year, consider Johan Le Bon. He was 4th in De Panne this year, and 2nd in Tro-Bro Léon - behind his own teammate, so he didn't attack until near the end once Mourey's victory was assured. He's pretty good at putting down the power on the flat too (5th in the Chrono des Nations, 4th in the De Panne TT). He was 26th at Roubaix last year, satisfactorily anonymous not to be picked up for much attention, but finished ahead of some pretty notable names.

Good pick indeed. If I'm not mistaken it was his first year with the pros as well.
Promising rider indeed.
User avatar Kwibus

11 Dec 2013 15:59

The Gorilla believes he could be factor in some of the cobbles races.

"And winning Paris-Roubaix is normally an utopia, but the race does suit me.”

(from Velonation story here)

Well, lets see.
Dazed and Confused

11 Dec 2013 16:33

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:No love for Vanmarcke?

He's not a future cobbles contender, I reckon. If you're 2nd in Roubaix, you've already made it to the big leagues.

I'm curious what he can do in Flanders, since as you say he was injured this year, and actually his podium in Roubaix was nothing short of a miracle.
theyoungest

11 Dec 2013 20:43

I wonder what Thomas can do without any falls this year.
Gloin22

11 Dec 2013 22:16

Gloin22 wrote:I wonder what Thomas can do without any falls this year.

I kinda doubt we'll get to see that.
maltiv

11 Dec 2013 23:04

I really hope Durbridge focusses on the cobbles, he has very little experience on them, but seems to have the physical characteristics. Moving forward I don't think he can lose the weight needed to challenge for one week stage races at 1WT level and is more likely to contest the cobbles. This season he got a taste of cobbled classics for the first time and said he enjoyed it and is looking to focus on them this year.
karlboss

11 Dec 2013 23:24

karlboss wrote:I really hope Durbridge focusses on the cobbles, he has very little experience on them, but seems to have the physical characteristics. Moving forward I don't think he can lose the weight needed to challenge for one week stage races at 1WT level and is more likely to contest the cobbles. This season he got a taste of cobbled classics for the first time and said he enjoyed it and is looking to focus on them this year.

Always good to hear another big TT engine getting interested in the cobbles. Bring on the action.
Dazed and Confused

12 Dec 2013 02:12

karlboss wrote:I really hope Durbridge focusses on the cobbles, he has very little experience on them, but seems to have the physical characteristics. Moving forward I don't think he can lose the weight needed to challenge for one week stage races at 1WT level and is more likely to contest the cobbles. This season he got a taste of cobbled classics for the first time and said he enjoyed it and is looking to focus on them this year.

Call me crazy but I have a feeling that Matthews will be better suited - I see him becoming more like a Hushovd while Durbridge will be similar to Tony Martin in time. He's lost quite a bit of upper body weight over the last year too BTW.

Happy to be proven wrong though.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

12 Dec 2013 02:33

Vanmarcke
Stybar
Phinney
Matthieu Vanderpoel?
[SIZE="1"]La fatica in montagna per me è poesia - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kun je geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere[/SIZE]
User avatar Pantani_lives

12 Dec 2013 09:04

42x16ss wrote:Call me crazy but I have a feeling that Matthews will be better suited - I see him becoming more like a Hushovd while Durbridge will be similar to Tony Martin in time. He's lost quite a bit of upper body weight over the last year too BTW.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Assuming he tried to slim the upper body to be competitive in the more hilly stage races last year, he should be able to put the mass back on again.

But hey lets see both having a go.
Dazed and Confused

12 Dec 2013 12:49

Vegard Breen. You heard it here first.
ingsve: Winner of the 2011 CQ Ranking Manager Game.

“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it” - Max Planck
User avatar ingsve

12 Dec 2013 15:00

ingsve wrote:Vegard Breen. You heard it here first.

That's certainly a first. Well, he clearly has a talent suited for cobbled classics, but I doubt he'll be a challenger. I just don't see him having that little extra to actually win something, as his sprint is bad and he's not very explosive. He's also 23 already, so who knows how much he can improve (some Norwegians stop developing at 21!).

I hope I'm wrong though, he's an amazing guy and the way he won Ronde de l'Oise would even have made Txurruka proud. To be 2nd overall and attack solo with 100 km to go on a relatively flat stage, bridging to the break and actually stay away is certainly one hell of a performance.

Hopefully Lotto will give him a good program this year with some freedom to go on the attack, it'd be a shame to see him simply riding on the front for Greipel.
maltiv

12 Dec 2013 17:50

Gallopin's got his sights set on Flanders.

Even though I might have more talent to win a race like Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Flanders is what I dreamed off since I was a young boy."

Gallopin's love for Flanders started early. "I can't explain it but there just isn't a more beautiful race than the Tour of Flanders. Peter van Petegem [two-times winner] was my idol. When I was 13 I bought Leif Hoste's [three times second in Tour of Flanders] bike and rode with it for two years."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tony-gallopin-dreams-about-tour-of-flanders
User avatar Afrank

04 Nov 2014 08:51

OK. Who are gonna be the men to watch in 2015?

Vanbilsen has a lot of potential. Wallays after his win in Paris-Tours? Luke Rowe could be the surprise of Sky.
Amsterdam

04 Nov 2014 09:34

For what he's doing at his age in current peleton, Senechal is the next big cobbler.

I also rate Asbroeck above Vanbilsen, even on cobbles. Might be weird but Asbroeck is already proven to do well on long distances and get decent results. And even when Vanbilsen also has few Asbroeck just convinces me more.

Although rather interesting with both Senechal and Vanbilsen at Cofidis!

( and of course Teunissen for Lotto NL looked great in U23, I doubt he'll do anything this year but is definitely a talent to watch out for )
Gloin22

04 Nov 2014 09:44

I'd like to see Valgren have a go
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

04 Nov 2014 09:54

LaFlorecita wrote:I'd like to see Valgren have a go

Agreed. RVV should suit him very well.
Bushman

04 Nov 2014 09:59

I agree with Senechal, he is certainly one for the future although he is still very young so he might need 1 more year before really stepping up, nontheless he was very impressive on the cobbles in 2014.

Yannick Martinez might also do pretty well.
User avatar Ruudz0r

04 Nov 2014 10:02

Gloin22 wrote:For what he's doing at his age in current peleton, Senechal is the next big cobbler.

I also rate Asbroeck above Vanbilsen, even on cobbles. Might be weird but Asbroeck is already proven to do well on long distances and get decent results. And even when Vanbilsen also has few Asbroeck just convinces me more.

Although rather interesting with both Senechal and Vanbilsen at Cofidis!

( and of course Teunissen for Lotto NL looked great in U23, I doubt he'll do anything this year but is definitely a talent to watch out for )

I agree , mike teunissen could be a contender in the future , next year he can do something in races like kuurne or dwars door vlandereen.
pablohidalgo7

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing