Log in:  

Register

What is the best exhibition of the last five years?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Best exhibition of any rider since 2007.

Andy Schleck Galibier 2011
14
14%
Tom Boonen Roubaix 2012
12
12%
Alberto Contador Fuente Dé 2012
16
16%
Fabian Cancellara Roubaix 2010
26
26%
Philippe Gilbert Liege 2011
1
1%
Carlos Sastre Alpe D'Huez 2008
5
5%
Ivan Basso Zoncolan 2010
5
5%
Alberto Contador Verbier 2009
11
11%
Alejandro Valverde Plumelec 2008
No votes
Other
11
11%
 
Total votes : 101

27 Nov 2012 19:39

David Arroyo on the Mortirolo.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,331
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

27 Nov 2012 19:55

Libertine Seguros wrote:David Arroyo on the Mortirolo.


We can also remenber great performances without victory. In this case:
Fabian Cancellara RVV 2011
Jéremy Roy Lourdes 2011
Stefano Garzelli Val Di Fassa 2011
Vincenzo Nibali Liege 2012
Robert Kiserlovski Oñati 2012
User avatar Jason_Mercier
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,077
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 10:59

27 Nov 2012 20:26

[SIZE="3"]*Fabian Cancellara's 2010 RVV & P-R:[/SIZE] it was just impressive-even frightening to witness such power & domination.
[SIZE="3"]*Evans & all Protagonists participating in Giro 10-7th stage-Carrara to Montalcino:[/SIZE] simply cycling stripped down to its best & purest form during adverse conditions.
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,534
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

27 Nov 2012 20:37

In my opinion what Alberto did this year in Fuente De was superb.
The double exhibition of Evans-Vinokourov in the way to Montalcino 2010 would be in my list too.
apmfbs
Junior Member
 
Posts: 178
Joined: 16 Oct 2011 10:39

27 Nov 2012 20:44

The Hitch wrote:Mark Cavendish stage 5 Tour of Qatar.


Cav was pretty brutal on stage 19 of this year´s tour too:eek:
Red Rick
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,086
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: The Netherlands

27 Nov 2012 20:54

The Hitch wrote:And thats the best thing youve seen in our sport in the last 5 years?


Not the most exciting thing, but definitely the most "I'm so much stronger than 10 wheelsuckers" moment I've ever seen. Oscar Freire agrees with me.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

27 Nov 2012 21:26

El Pistolero wrote:Not the most exciting thing, but definitely the most "I'm so much stronger than 10 wheelsuckers" moment I've ever seen. Oscar Freire agrees with me.


I guess you missed the giro'11, E3 '11, RVV'10, PR'10, tour'09, paris-nice 09.

Wait do you know Cancellara and Contador? ;)

And he only sprinted away, wasn't a great solo or something like that. He just rode a few km on the front for a few km and sprinted away.

Come on dude.
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,936
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

27 Nov 2012 21:28

Miburo wrote:I guess you missed the giro'11, E3 '11, RVV'10, PR'10, tour'09, paris-nice 09.

Wait do you know Cancellara and Contador? ;)

And he only sprinted away, wasn't a great solo or something like that. He just rode a few km on the front for a few km and sprinted away.

Come on dude.


Lol, tell me a big race Cancellara won when other riders were sucking his wheel?

No one sucked his wheel at RvV 2010 or Roubaix(in fact, no one even bothered chasing him there except Boonen). As for E3 Prijs 2011, ever bothered to take a look at the field? Not a very impressive field. Phil's Omloop victory in 2008 is more impressive then. E3 Harelbeke 2011 was a great race to watch though, but I rank Phil's win higher because the field was much better and the race itself is much more prestigious.

Does it have to be a "great solo"? No, it's my opinion for crying out loud. If no one chases you the race will not be very exciting. And that's exactly what happened at Roubaix that year.

If you ask me which one of Boonen's Roubaix titles was the best I'll say 2008. Not his solos of 2009 or 2012.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

27 Nov 2012 21:52

Thor Hushovds magical breakaway on stage 13 2011 from Pau to Lourdes. This big semi sprinter had a pretty good climb up col d'Aubisque and one of the greatest downhill riding i've ever seen, he catched more than 2 minutes on Roy!
User avatar VetleLunde
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Nov 2012 19:21
Location: Norway

27 Nov 2012 21:58

I'm sure the author of the thread had sincere intention to evaluate some great performances, but the result will just show who has the biggest fan base on CN forums (as always when comparisson involves the riders).
In order to avoid the bias, some criteria should have been defined. Length of effort, terrain, competition, tactical aspects...
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

27 Nov 2012 21:59

My fav Contador moment was modane-lalpe. If i cant win, I can still blow the race up.

the look on every single attempted breakaway rider as they look back 14km into what should be an easy 100k and see Contador ploughing through the esapees chased frantically by Schleck and the yellow jersey,

The biggest OMFG wtf moment ive ever seen in sport.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,991
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

27 Nov 2012 22:03

auscyclefan94 wrote:Why is Valverde in Plumelec on the list and not Evans in Montalcino? That stage is regarded as one of the best GT stages in many years and doesn't even get nominated!


What does Valverde has to do with Evans not being nominated, even if he deserved it?
pedromartins
Junior Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 24 Sep 2012 00:26

27 Nov 2012 22:04

Ricco - Col d'Aspin
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude
Junior Member
 
Posts: 738
Joined: 11 Oct 2010 17:12

27 Nov 2012 22:05

Definition
when objects such as paintings are shown to the public, or when someone shows a particular skill or quality to the public

Image

I guess this has to be the best exibition ever according to definition, no one could have ever shown that sort of skill
burning
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,393
Joined: 29 Feb 2012 21:33

27 Nov 2012 22:12

El Pistolero wrote:Lol, tell me a big race Cancellara won when other riders were sucking his wheel?

No one sucked his wheel at RvV 2010 or Roubaix(in fact, no one even bothered chasing him there except Boonen). As for E3 Prijs 2011, ever bothered to take a look at the field? Not a very impressive field. Phil's Omloop victory in 2008 is more impressive then. E3 Harelbeke 2011 was a great race to watch though, but I rank Phil's win higher because the field was much better and the race itself is much more prestigious.

Does it have to be a "great solo"? No, it's my opinion for crying out loud. If no one chases you the race will not be very exciting. And that's exactly what happened at Roubaix that year.

If you ask me which one of Boonen's Roubaix titles was the best I'll say 2008. Not his solos of 2009 or 2012.


So you like Belgian people who win sprints.

AGR is not that prestigious. Better than E3, ok. But not 'much more'

Then again if you compare AGR with RVV or PR there's also a gap.

And what about the tour, then? 'much more presitigous' applies then.

And Contador/Canc have showed their value many times there along with other riders like Schleck at 2011.

But ok it's an opinion so go ahead and be biased
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,936
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

27 Nov 2012 22:29

The Tour is the most boring race in the world, what about it?

And LOL, E3 can't even compare to AGR. It wasn't even WT when Cancellara won it.

AGR had practically the same field as LBL. E3 Harelbeke was seriously lacking in competition that year because of G-W.

I like good races and Roubaix 2008 was a good race. Roubaix 2010 was boring, everyone gave up way too fast. And Boonen won that sprint with 30 bike lengths, tells you something doesn't it. ;) I hate the "if it's not in a solo it's not a great win" attitude. If you ever bothered to look at Roubaix 2008 you'll see both Cancellara and Ballan tried everything to drop Boonen, but it was clear to everyone who was the strongest that day. Yeah Boonen is the better sprinter, but he won with 30 freaking bike lengths over Cancellara. ;)

Much better Roubaix that year than the Bore de France of 2009. Cancellara getting beaten at Roubaix in his best year ever. Yeah, that's right, it wasn't 2010.

In 2008 alone Cancellara got third at the Olympic road race, won the time trial, defended his T-A lead on a steep wall, won Milan-San Remo and took 2 impressive wins in Tour de Suisse(much better than the Tour de Suisse he won the year after).
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

27 Nov 2012 22:47

Contador -Verbier 2009 for the most spectacular, I would add in the 2008 L'Angliru stage of the Vuelta. While not as much of an exibition in it's own right that stage win clinched Contador's hat trick of GT wins in little over a year, I don't think we will see that again for awhile.
Lo Sceriffo - To call him the Fabian Cancellara of his day would be more accurate when Fabian wins yet another Paris-Roubaix, a few more classics, the World Championship road race, a Grand Tour and continues to kick @rse for another five years. - Velominati
User avatar M Sport
Junior Member
 
Posts: 687
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 11:32
Location: Australia

27 Nov 2012 22:55

Miburo wrote:So you like Belgian people who win sprints.

AGR is not that prestigious. Better than E3, ok. But not 'much more'

Then again if you compare AGR with RVV or PR there's also a gap.

And what about the tour, then? 'much more presitigous' applies then.

And Contador/Canc have showed their value many times there along with other riders like Schleck at 2011.

But ok it's an opinion so go ahead and be biased


Look at it this way: AGR has some of the top riders on cobbles(Nuyens, Terpstra, Chavanel) puncheurs/sprinters(Gilbert, Gerrans, Gasparotto, Sagan, Freire) climbers(Schlecks, Sanchez, Valverde, Vanendert) and all-rounders(Voeckler, Iglinskiy, Van Avermaet), most of them in good form and able to get a top 10. There aren't many classics on the calendar that have such a variety of participants. It's comparable to MSR, but then there's a chance someone from Down Under wins who's already in top shape.

The problem is AGR doesn't have a big history, because of the place on the calendar about until 15 years ago. That's the reason Boonen and Cancellara tend not to care about it too much.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,177
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

27 Nov 2012 23:17

El Pistolero wrote:The Tour is the most boring race in the world, what about it?
.


Dude you spent the entire Giro taking the **** about how **** a race it is and proudly declaring not to have watched a minute of it. You did the same at the 2011 Vuelta.

So i figured you for a Tour fan but you find that boring too. Is there any race not won by Boonen or Gilbert that you do like?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,991
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

28 Nov 2012 00:02

The Hitch wrote:Dude you spent the entire Giro taking the **** about how **** a race it is and proudly declaring not to have watched a minute of it. You did the same at the 2011 Vuelta.

So i figured you for a Tour fan but you find that boring too. Is there any race not won by Boonen or Gilbert that you do like?


This year's Giro was boring, what about it?

An exciting Tour was 2007, 2008 and 2011 was cool when Contador attacked, but the Pyrenees were boring.

An exciting Giro was 2008 and 2010(which I didn't watch live because of exams). 2011 was also good, but it leaves a bad memory for numerous reasons.

I'm not a fan of any Grand Tour, why would you ever think that? If the racing is good it doesn't matter which GT it comes from. Though I do downplay the Vuelta a lot, but here's a hint: don't take that too seriously. ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigMac, Billie, janraaskalt2, MrTea1976, SeriousSam, Steven Roots, TheGreenMonkey and 83 guests

Back to top