Register

What is the best exhibition of the last five years?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Best exhibition of any rider since 2007.

Andy Schleck Galibier 2011
14%
Tom Boonen Roubaix 2012
12%
Alberto Contador Fuente Dé 2012
16%
Fabian Cancellara Roubaix 2010
26%
Philippe Gilbert Liege 2011
1%
Carlos Sastre Alpe D'Huez 2008
5%
Ivan Basso Zoncolan 2010
5%
Alberto Contador Verbier 2009
11%
Alejandro Valverde Plumelec 2008
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes : 101

28 Nov 2012 00:07

Pentacycle wrote:Look at it this way: AGR has some of the top riders on cobbles(Nuyens, Terpstra, Chavanel) puncheurs/sprinters(Gilbert, Gerrans, Gasparotto, Sagan, Freire) climbers(Schlecks, Sanchez, Valverde, Vanendert) and all-rounders(Voeckler, Iglinskiy, Van Avermaet), most of them in good form and able to get a top 10. There aren't many classics on the calendar that have such a variety of participants. It's comparable to MSR, but then there's a chance someone from Down Under wins who's already in top shape.

The problem is AGR doesn't have a big history, because of the place on the calendar about until 15 years ago. That's the reason Boonen and Cancellara tend not to care about it too much.

Cancellara has shown interest in AGR. Boonen hasn't, but it should be obvious that he can't win that race when it finishes on top of the Cauberg. Though every year Boonen says he'll start AGR, but every time he ends up not doing it. It's kind of funny actually. Maybe Boonen could win it if it was still on the same course as when Museeuw won. Although Museeuw was better on the longer hills than Boonen, so I don't know for sure...

Boonen's weight was 78kg for the WC this year by the way.

I think Cancellara was going to ride it again this year, but you know what happened.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

28 Nov 2012 09:59

Luckily, there has been many good, but I definetely think that either Schleck's Galibier-attack or Cancellara's in Paris - Roubaix.

I voted for Andy's.

And to be honest, I don't understand why Contadors on Fuente Dé is number one; yes, it was great, but I think the two I mentioned are at least as good. Well, propably a question of "taste".
User avatar The Blues

28 Nov 2012 11:02

What makes Andy's galibier attack better than Alberto's fuente dé? The fact that Alberto took the race by its balls and turned it completely around on a hilly! stage while it seemed he was never going to drop purito, its awesome and in my biased opinion more heroic than galibier.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

28 Nov 2012 11:16

Andy's attack is a genuine world cycling gold reserve. It was not too spectacular to me [so I voted for Grandissimo Bisonte and the Alien), because maximal spectacle is always skirmish between 2-3 strongest riders with lots of attacks or exchanging for attacking arguments at least. That raid is value in itself as it showed how even overly organized TdF peloton can be derailed under one fearless move. Besides, as we see that attack and its successful realization entailed subsequent early attempts. It was a karmic self-annihilation as it is. If constant dropping wears away a stone, it was the entire waterfall.

Hell, vote for Alex in Plumenec someone just out of interest. :p
User avatar airstream

28 Nov 2012 13:00

The Blues wrote:
And to be honest, I don't understand why Contadors on Fuente Dé is number one; yes, it was great, but I think the two I mentioned are at least as good. Well, propably a question of "taste".

Recent memory has something to do with it I'm sure, as well as Contador making a gutsy Race Winning Move; not just the stage as was the case for Andy.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

28 Nov 2012 13:30

The Blues wrote:Luckily, there has been many good, but I definetely think that either Schleck's Galibier-attack or Cancellara's in Paris - Roubaix.

I voted for Andy's.

Most of the reason Contador is on top I would say lies in Contador having a lot of fanoboys and fangirls on this forum. In comparison Schleck is not nearly as liked here.

Carols wrote:Recent memory has something to do with it I'm sure, as well as Contador making a gutsy Race Winning Move; not just the stage as was the case for Andy.

When Schleck made the move it was to win the race as well. If he just wanted to win the stage he would have waited until the final climb.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

28 Nov 2012 13:40

Afrank wrote:Most of the reason Contador is on top I would say lies in Contador having a lot of fanoboys and fangirls on this forum. In comparison Schleck is not nearly as liked here.

I wonder why :rolleyes:

When Schleck made the move it was to win the race as well. If he just wanted to win the stage he would have waited until the final climb.

Actually not he made the move to set up an attack for Frank
User avatar LaFlorecita

28 Nov 2012 13:44

LaFlorecita wrote:I wonder why :rolleyes:

Actually not he made the move to set up an attack for Frank

No he didn't, he had fallen down on the GC so he made one last big effort to pull himself back into contention. Just like Contador on Fuente de it was a last big effort to win the race.
Be the Goat

User avatar Afrank

28 Nov 2012 13:44

The forum is just of full of youthful maximalism. A few people rode at least 50k by themselves, however one has its views how any cyclist must ride and what he should say. :rolleyes:
User avatar airstream

28 Nov 2012 13:48

Afrank wrote:No he didn't, he had fallen down on the GC so he made one last big effort to pull himself back into contention. Just like Contador on Fuente de it was a last big effort to win the race.

Of course he was Trying to win the race with his move; fact is he didn't though.....Alberto did.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

28 Nov 2012 13:51

Afrank wrote:No he didn't, he had fallen down on the GC so he made one last big effort to pull himself back into contention. Just like Contador on Fuente de it was a last big effort to win the race.

Oh then he didn't tell the truth when he was interviewed. Interesting.
User avatar LaFlorecita

28 Nov 2012 13:56

He said in an interview he made that move to set up an attack for Frank, but because no one reacted on his attack he decided to go for it.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

28 Nov 2012 13:59

the "only" difference btw contador's solo and andy's solo was that contador was about to lose the vuelta simply because despite trying everywhere, he couldn't drop rodrigues. andy was about to lose the tour because he didn't try as he should in the pyreneus and then got scared of a descent a lost a minute there.

simply put both were running out of road and in positions to lose the race but one was there because he lacked strength while the other was there because he lacked aggression.

had andy raced the entire tour as he did on those last 2 mountain stages being properly aggressive instead of trying 2 second long accelerations, he would have probably won the tour.
User avatar Parrulo

28 Nov 2012 14:00

LaFlorecita wrote:Oh then he didn't tell the truth when he was interviewed. Interesting.

Don't know the interview your referring to, but everyone knows that his attack was a last effort for him to win the race. If his move had been caught it would probably have been planned for Frank to then go. But if the original plan had been to just set up Frank for a attack they would have waited until the last climb, or the 2nd to last.
Be the Goat

User avatar Afrank

28 Nov 2012 14:24

Afrank wrote:Don't know the interview your referring to, but everyone knows that his attack was a last effort for him to win the race. If his move had been caught it would probably have been planned for Frank to then go. But if the original plan had been to just set up Frank for a attack they would have waited until the last climb, or the 2nd to last.

He said so in an interview, can't find it now (typical :rolleyes:) but anyway I didn't believe it right from the start, I thought he just said it because he didn't get the yellow jersey :D
User avatar LaFlorecita

28 Nov 2012 14:25

El Pistolero wrote:He said in an interview he made that move to set up an attack for Frank, but because no one reacted on his attack he decided to go for it.

Yea that :D
User avatar LaFlorecita

28 Nov 2012 14:38

Afrank wrote:Don't know the interview your referring to, but everyone knows that his attack was a last effort for him to win the race. If his move had been caught it would probably have been planned for Frank to then go. But if the original plan had been to just set up Frank for a attack they would have waited until the last climb, or the 2nd to last.

Which it was ;)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

28 Nov 2012 15:41

Cancellara, Flanders 2010, E3 Harelbeke 2011
woodenswan

28 Nov 2012 15:50

There has been conflicting reports in the media quoting Andy's true intentions on that stage. At one point it was reported that due to Andy's fall in the GC, he saw the attack as an opportunity to weaken Cadel and his team by making them chase in hopes that by the time Andy was caught, Frank would be able to dance away taking back the time that separated him and Cadel. It was believed that Andy's attack would not succeed since it was unprecedented in recent times for a contender to make such an effort from so far out. At the same time the threat could not be ignored thus necessity for Evans/BMC to pursue and limit the damage/prevent Andy from regaining his lost time in the GC.

Considering the bond that exists between the 2 brothers it's not too far fetched that Andy would make such a high risk attack to benefit his brother since his chances had been blown on a previous stage.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

28 Nov 2012 15:53

LaFlorecita wrote:Yea that :D

Didn't see El P's post, had to get going so just hit reply without checking for others posts. Doesn't change much whether it was planned or unplanned though, what matters is what the move became.
Be the Goat

User avatar Afrank

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing