Register

What is the best exhibition of the last five years?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Best exhibition of any rider since 2007.

Andy Schleck Galibier 2011
14%
Tom Boonen Roubaix 2012
12%
Alberto Contador Fuente Dé 2012
16%
Fabian Cancellara Roubaix 2010
26%
Philippe Gilbert Liege 2011
1%
Carlos Sastre Alpe D'Huez 2008
5%
Ivan Basso Zoncolan 2010
5%
Alberto Contador Verbier 2009
11%
Alejandro Valverde Plumelec 2008
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes : 101

28 Nov 2012 15:57

Angliru wrote:

Considering the bond that exists between the 2 brothers it's not too far fetched that Andy would make such a high risk attack to benefit his brother since his chances had been blown on a previous stage.

with what emotions you ended to watch that stagE? burnt from the inside a little bit?
User avatar airstream

28 Nov 2012 16:37

airstream wrote:with what emotions you ended to watch that stagE?

I ended up wondering why he didn't commit to an effort like this earlier in the Tour knowing that he needed a cushion to make up for his inevitable time loss in the TT's.
Entertaining as it was I knew it wouldn't be enough regardless of how optimistic he tried to play to the media.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

28 Nov 2012 16:41

airstream wrote:with what emotions you ended to watch that stagE? burnt from the inside a little bit?

What do you mean by this addition to your original post? Is this like anger in the belly?;)
User avatar Angliru

28 Nov 2012 16:42

Parrulo wrote:the "only" difference btw contador's solo and andy's solo was that contador was about to lose the vuelta simply because despite trying everywhere, he couldn't drop rodrigues. andy was about to lose the tour because he didn't try as he should in the pyreneus and then got scared of a descent a lost a minute there.

simply put both were running out of road and in positions to lose the race but one was there because he lacked strength while the other was there because he lacked aggression.

had andy raced the entire tour as he did on those last 2 mountain stages being properly aggressive instead of trying 2 second long accelerations, he would have probably won the tour.

Difference is though contador was 15s behind and still had the return of the king home stage at bola del mundo, where all he would need was a handful of seconds. Andy though was level with Evans but projected to lose 2 minutes on the tt so he really needed big time unlike contador who could take back almost his entire advantage with bonus seconds alone.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

28 Nov 2012 17:23

The Hitch wrote:Difference is though contador was 15s behind and still had the return of the king home stage at bola del mundo, where all he would need was a handful of seconds. Andy though was level with Evans but projected to lose 2 minutes on the tt so he really needed big time unlike contador who could take back almost his entire advantage with bonus seconds alone.

Except Rodriquez was better on those kind of climbs all Vuelta - including Bola del Mundo. The stage to Fuente Dé was Contador's best chance and I think he knew it. Contador engineered a TT situation where he would be stronger than Purito. Which was of course very impressive, but lets not rewrite the Vuelta, Rodriquez was the best climber - just about ;)
uphillstruggle

28 Nov 2012 20:16

uphillstruggle wrote:Except Rodriquez was better on those kind of climbs all Vuelta - including Bola del Mundo. The stage to Fuente Dé was Contador's best chance and I think he knew it. Contador engineered a TT situation where he would be stronger than Purito. Which was of course very impressive, but lets not rewrite the Vuelta, Rodriquez was the best climber - just about ;)

Purito wasn't the better climber, he was just a better sprinter. When did purito take time on Contador?

Contador dropped purito a few times but he always came back with the better sprint at the end. That's it.
User avatar Miburo

28 Nov 2012 21:06

Miburo wrote:Purito wasn't the better climber, he was just a better sprinter. When did purito take time on Contador?

Contador dropped purito a few times but he always came back with the better sprint at the end. That's it.

+1 We saw it in Ancares or Lagos. Purito was the best uphill finisher. Not climber.
User avatar Jason_Mercier

28 Nov 2012 21:13

it doesn't change essence. The strongest climber is one who gains the time on high mountains. That was Rodriguez.
User avatar airstream

28 Nov 2012 21:28

uphillstruggle wrote:Except Rodriquez was better on those kind of climbs all Vuelta - including Bola del Mundo. The stage to Fuente Dé was Contador's best chance and I think he knew it. Contador engineered a TT situation where he would be stronger than Purito. Which was of course very impressive, but lets not rewrite the Vuelta, Rodriquez was the best climber - just about ;)

Only you are assuming contador would do nothing until the last 3k of the final climb. We already saw on cuitu negru and of course fuente de that contador was willing to try stuff with his team. if nothing else he would have had majka and co drill it from the start. And bola may seem a relatively meh climb until the final 3k but remember nibalis entire team blew up on the lower slopes in 2010 and that included kreuziger who was giving a superdomestique performance every bit as impressive as szmyd at the giro . To say that purito had it in the bag cos he had a 15s lead with the main mountain stage still to be ridden is stretching it.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

28 Nov 2012 21:30

Btw another difference in this **** measuring contest is that schleck did it on a stage designed to be stage of the decade. Contador did it on just about the 1 stage the organizers did not want a gc battle on.

Conclusion: contadors is longer.

User avatar The Hitch

28 Nov 2012 21:33

airstream wrote:it doesn't change essence. The strongest climber is one who gains the time on high mountains. That was Rodriguez.
Well said sir! Looking better on Andy's avatar by a mile. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

28 Nov 2012 22:00

Miburo wrote:Purito wasn't the better climber, he was just a better sprinter. When did purito take time on Contador?

30 seconds-ish on Bola Del Mundo & 20 seconds on the Jaca. Plus he dropped him on the Barcelona stage. So no, not just sprints.

These are facts, but don't let it get in the way of your narrative.
uphillstruggle

28 Nov 2012 22:02

for me its stage 17 of the TDF 2010 , contador and schleck going head to head up the col du tourmalet was awesome viewing , and showed the world of cycling how far ahead of every other rider they are when fully fit .

roll on july and pray they are both fully fit and we may just see the race of the century .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8dkc3rgl4&feature=my_favorites&list=FLYeDQP3Ww6ektzmM-eBICnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4I0auUP5iQ&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkQv-l15c74&feature=relmfu
User avatar shades1

28 Nov 2012 22:05

The Hitch wrote:. To say that purito had it in the bag cos he had a 15s lead with the main mountain stage still to be ridden is stretching it.

I wasn't saying that he had it in the bag. Contador could have gone from the the bottom of the climb and totally cracked him (and with AC that is not even that far fetched:o) but I felt that purito had it to stay with him on that climb and in fact he even dropped him.
uphillstruggle

28 Nov 2012 22:11

Best win of the last five years?

Cadel Evans - 2010 Giro d'Italia - Strade Bianche/Poggio Civitella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBReED12OXQ&list=UL
The only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance.
TheGame

28 Nov 2012 23:48

Purito just totally cracked on Fuente De, he didn't underestimate Contador. If he could've followed why did he get dropped by Valverde? ;) Who finished within 6 seconds of Contador by the way.

It doesn't matter if you were stronger on all the other mountain stages if you're not consistent.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

29 Nov 2012 02:52

Voted for Cancellara P-R 2010 but for me it is Mikel Nieve at Val di Fassa at the 2011 Giro, then Cancellara at the 2010 Worlds TT.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

29 Nov 2012 06:30

I just love Giro 2011, Stage 19. Contador pure class, on many levels.
User avatar ferryman

29 Nov 2012 06:51

The Hitch wrote:Btw another difference in this **** measuring contest is that schleck did it on a stage designed to be stage of the decade. Contador did it on just about the 1 stage the organizers did not want a gc battle on.

Conclusion: contadors is longer.

+1

cineteq wrote:Well said sir! Looking better on Andy's avatar by a mile. :D

:rolleyes:

ferryman wrote:I just love Giro 2011, Stage 19. Contador pure class, on many levels.

Yes! :)
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

29 Nov 2012 12:57

Afrank wrote:Don't know the interview your referring to, but everyone knows that his attack was a last effort for him to win the race. If his move had been caught it would probably have been planned for Frank to then go. But if the original plan had been to just set up Frank for a attack they would have waited until the last climb, or the 2nd to last.

I would think that if the idea was to work for Frank, then the further from the finish Andy initiated his attack, the more fatigued would Evans/BMC be once Andy was eventually reeled in, setting up Frank to put as much time into Evans as possible. An attack any later wouldn't potentially result in the gains that Frank would need to cover his inability in the TT.
User avatar Angliru

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing