Register

We'll see the best Andy Schleck one more time?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

When we will see the best Andy Schleck one more time?

We will see his best version in 2013.
27%
It will cost a lot for him. But in 2014 he will be fully recovered.
26%
Never.
47%

Total votes : 128

We'll see the best Andy Schleck again?

28 Nov 2012 22:39

.The year began like always. The sky blue, the birds singing and the flowers were beautiful. A known house song could be heard in the pretty Luxembourg.
I don`t wanna work today
Maybe I just wanna stay
Just take it easy cause there is no stress.
I know it`s not an awful crime
Something special in my mind
Nothing`s gonna cause me distress.
I text my baby on her phone
Try to get her Sexy body home
That`s the way I wanna spend my day
[...] NO STRESS.

A-Have you heard this Frank? I love this Laurent Wolf
F- Sounds good. But remember what Mummy told to you "My little sweety, you must do the spring homework this season"
A- Of course i'll be there in PV and in the Ardennes classics doing my tests. How you doubt it?

Months later...
F- Johan has told me that i must travel to Italy for lead the team in a famous race of the country. Something like "Giro D'Italia"
A- What? The Giro D'Italia? Oh. Ok. That race which one time i finished second. The pizzas were good but i cant remember why i didnt win. Maybe too much **** of this downhills.
F- I'll be back soon. Something tell me that i'll have an accidental injury.
A- See you in France.
June...
- FFIUUUU! PRRRFFF! Crash.
Days later...
- I wont win the 2012 Tour De France. I wont even be in it

A sabbatical year. The injury. The Frank's positive. Are those facts enough arguments for think that we'll never see the best Andy Schleck version anymore? We have some precedents. The
Basso and Contador returns. Both came back to the top. Not without strain. Is Andy Schleck prepared for a change of mentality? Is Andy Schleck strong enough for work hard
this winter in his recovery?
User avatar Jason_Mercier

28 Nov 2012 22:51

Will be an interesting poll. Sorry for my english.

28 Nov 2012 22:57

I think the next season we'll see his 2011 level. Not the best Andy Schleck. Which for me is the 2010 guy.

28 Nov 2012 23:05

In Basso's case we all know what occured in 2009. The year of his return. Different ages, different type of riders. But also different mentality. Then in 2010 we all saw the true Ivan Basso again. It will cost a year too for Andy?

28 Nov 2012 23:58

I think he will be able to return to his best. He just has to stay focused on the road ahead and keep training and racing. He's only 27 so being past his prime shouldn't be a problem. Plus He raced Beijing, a race he never would race in his life if he wasn't in the position he's in now; so I think that shows he has the motivation to keep racing and to make it back to the highest level.

Don't agree with that narrative by the way.
User avatar Afrank

29 Nov 2012 00:57

Jason_Mercier wrote:Will be an interesting poll. Sorry for my english.

Your English is fine. I'm encouraged that Andy is training through the winter and starting early for a change, Down Under. I hope/pray that the hard work ethic has finally got through to him after his write off of a season AND what he has seen this season. That is, the emergence of Froome and the comeback of Contador.

So, I voted we will see the best of Andy next year. Probably in the minority on this but I feel someone has to carry the torch now that Airstream has abandoned our boy:(
User avatar ferryman

29 Nov 2012 01:52

Best as in Zoncolan?
Ferminal

29 Nov 2012 01:59

Dont know why yall are making such a big deal of this. He had 1 tour spoiled by a crash. pfff. Happens to everyone.

Yet for Andy Schleck its made out like its the end of his career.

Vinos crash was 10 times worse and he was 10 years older and 12 months later hes olympic champion.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

29 Nov 2012 02:00

does not have the right attitude to be a champion anyway.
RIP Craig, you'll be missed friend.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo

29 Nov 2012 02:36

When have we ever seen the "best" of Andy Schleck.

He is too fragile to be of serious consideration.
purcell

29 Nov 2012 03:50

Well I'm hoping we have never yet seen the best Andy has to give. With a different mental attitude and a better work ethic he could put that natural talent on display in a way we haven't witnessed to date. But can he do that????
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

29 Nov 2012 05:52

With age can come a building weight of cumulative frustrations that can perhaps affect his motivations for the positive. On other hand his bros + is probably a significant and sustained stressor so I'm voting not until 2014 or beyond will we see the best Andy.
Not done with my drink till I've crunched all the ice crew
User avatar Rip:30

29 Nov 2012 06:59

Its over, like previously stated doesn't have the winner attitude, will win if everyone else gives up, not quite going to happen. Evin in the year of the belly full of anger, that's all he's got.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

29 Nov 2012 07:58

the answer is yes. and it will be this year too. enough to beat alberto and froomey? i doubt it.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

29 Nov 2012 07:59

I think he can do it,Alberto motivates him so much.He has to finish Down Under and races in February.
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling

29 Nov 2012 08:07

Oh cowardly clowns voted for 'never'. I know their nicknames without specifying. :D
User avatar airstream

29 Nov 2012 08:37

Andy Schleck will be back in business in 2013.

Reason: Contract uncertainty for 2014 and the fact Andy may have to carry ranking points for both brothers moving forward. Schleck is learning that being good in a professional sport is a window of opportunity which must be taken serious at all times, i.e. hes maturing in the head.

Franks positive helped with the process, allowing Andy to realize business can quickly come to a halt in this sport. I expect Andy to be competitive in LBL and TdF along with a few other races in 2013. Naive? Perhaps.
Dazed and Confused

29 Nov 2012 08:50

The Hitch wrote:Dont know why yall are making such a big deal of this. He had 1 tour spoiled by a crash. pfff. Happens to everyone.

Yet for Andy Schleck its made out like its the end of his career.

Vinos crash was 10 times worse and he was 10 years older and 12 months later hes olympic champion.

For once I must agree with you Hitch ... people who vote "never" crack me up. Vino, Wigans, Evans, Froome ... they all have had sh*t years and they all came back argueably even stronger than before. Andy has a lot of years left in his career, if it won't be next year than the year after.
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

29 Nov 2012 09:34

Jason_Mercier wrote:...
A sabbatical year. The injury. The Frank's positive. Are those facts enough arguments for think that we'll never see the best Andy Schleck version anymore? We have some precedents. The
Basso and Contador returns. Both came back to the top. Not without strain. Is Andy Schleck prepared for a change of mentality? Is Andy Schleck strong enough for work hard
this winter in his recovery?

I'd love to see him back, but I voted "never" because I think he is mentally too fragile to come back from injury and lost racing/training time and brothers positive.
While having "won" the Tour and having enough money already.

I hope I'm wrong.
User avatar personal

29 Nov 2012 09:59

unless he continues with his very bad luck, he will be up there next year, no doubt about it.

i am not even worried about lack of racing from this year, he is the kind of guy that gets dropped by rojas in suisse and is up there in the tour 2 weeks later so he will be in shape.
User avatar Parrulo

Next

Return to Professional road racing