Log in:  

Register

The French hope of the century or the Colombian Messiah?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who is the best talent?

Thibaut Pinot
49
30%
Nairo Quintana
112
70%
 
Total votes : 161

03 Dec 2012 21:22

IMO today Chaves is clearly after Pinot and Quintana. He's 90 class too.
User avatar Jason_Mercier
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,077
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 10:59

03 Dec 2012 21:23

Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:Warren Barguil and Romain Bardet are way more exciting French talents.


Personally it's more exciting (for me) to see such young talents show their potential in the sport's bigger events against the seasoned veterans and established stars.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,813
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

03 Dec 2012 21:23

chaves will improve a lot though. a lot more than quintana will. quintana's base level is so high however that he's already top 3 best climbers in the world, add to that some experience and improvements overall and you have a potential gt winner.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,247
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

03 Dec 2012 22:25

If we talk about climbing talent for me it's something like this.
***** Pinot, Quintana
**** Dombrowski
*** Chaves

Then the Betancur, Aru, Bardet, Barguil, Anacona, Atapuma, Elissonde, Landa... are today in other level.
User avatar Jason_Mercier
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,077
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 10:59

03 Dec 2012 22:27

Betancur doesn't belong in that list. If you see what Betancur has already achieved he is way better
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,266
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

03 Dec 2012 23:21

At the moment Pinot seems to show the most potential to be a GT contender after getting a top 10 in his first GT. But Quintana I would say is the better climber of the two, his performance at the Giro dell'Emilia and the Vuelta showed what a great climber he is, as well as a lot of potential. Would like to see Quintana get leadership in a GT though, instead of having to work for Valverde again.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

04 Dec 2012 01:45

Afrank wrote:At the moment Pinot seems to show the most potential to be a GT contender after getting a top 10 in his first GT. But Quintana I would say is the better climber of the two, his performance at the Giro dell'Emilia and the Vuelta showed what a great climber he is, as well as a lot of potential. Would like to see Quintana get leadership in a GT though, instead of having to work for Valverde again.

My thoughts exactly, at the moment Pinot seems to me the most likely to win a GT one day, he already had the chance to ride his own race at the Tour and I have to say that he's been impressive, on the other hand it would be interesting to see Quintana ride for himself in a GT, but I'm afraid we might have to wait a couple of years to see that.
User avatar lukinox
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 02 May 2011 12:24
Location: No more sunny UK, but really sunny Italy instead

04 Dec 2012 01:49

I went with Nairo. Pinot is very, very impressive, but Quintana was pacing the elite group and chasing down attacks from Contador and Rodriguez for Valverde at the Vuelta on 20% slopes. I'm not sure if Pinot, or indeed the vast majority of the peloton, is capable of climbing that well. As far as their ability to challenge for GC, I'm undecided. Does Pinot TT better than Quintana?

Also, I'm assuming Quintana is a good descender, because he held off Evans for a downhill stage finish at the Dauphine. I didn't watch that stage though, so I have no idea if it was a difficult descent or not.
User avatar Alphabet
Junior Member
 
Posts: 815
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 03:01
Location: The yard

04 Dec 2012 03:01

Have the two of them raced against each other with a free role yet? I'll reserve judgement until they do.

They seem to be a cut above everyone else their age but Chaves, Dombrowski, Aru and Lachlan Morton are a few of the guys that could challenge them.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1


evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,110
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

04 Dec 2012 04:00

42x16ss wrote:Have the two of them raced against each other with a free role yet? I'll reserve judgement until they do.

They seem to be a cut above everyone else their age but Chaves, Dombrowski, Aru and Lachlan Morton are a few of the guys that could challenge them.


They both raced in Tour du Haut-Var, and finished 11th (Pinot) and 12th (Quintana), separated by just 2 seconds. And they both race Lombardia where Quintana finished 11th, and Pinot DNFed.

Of course Pinot was probably far from his peak in Lombardia, and Quintana showed some great late season form so don't take it as serious judgement of who's better. Not sure what their situation or form was like in Haut-Var.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

04 Dec 2012 07:19

I wonder why everyone disregards Rolland as a French GC contender. I think he definitely has it in him, provided he continues to work on his TTing. And he needs to move from Europcar.
User avatar Alphabet
Junior Member
 
Posts: 815
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 03:01
Location: The yard

04 Dec 2012 07:36

I am guessing Pinot, mostly because he is my favorite rider.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,982
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

04 Dec 2012 08:34

Personally i think Quintana is more talented (only one year as a pro compared to 3) and i hope he shall have a great career.
Pinot in my view shall be like Valverde (better or worse i have no idea), great at the Ardennes, great most of the time on climbs and he shall also be better on ITT's but... QUINTANA.

@Alphabet: I like Rolland a lot as well and i think he shall win a GT but he is a bit older than Pinot. He is a better climber for the moment at least as well.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,201
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

04 Dec 2012 08:40

42x16ss wrote:Have the two of them raced against each other with a free role yet? I'll reserve judgement until they do.

They seem to be a cut above everyone else their age but Chaves, Dombrowski, Aru and Lachlan Morton are a few of the guys that could challenge them.


Morton and Dombrowski are 1992 and 1991 so they are also younger.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,201
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

04 Dec 2012 09:53

Wait - did you really just compare Pinot to Valverde? That's hilarious. :D
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,652
Joined: 28 Sep 2010 04:32
Location: There there.

04 Dec 2012 10:31

greenedge wrote:@Alphabet: I like Rolland a lot as well and i think he shall win a GT but he is a bit older than Pinot. He is a better climber for the moment at least as well.


Rolland's best bet would be the Vuelta or the Giro, I can't see him winning the Tour, even if he improves his TTing ability he probably won't be able to do much better than a podium place. With the way Unipublic create Vuelta routes, I think he should focus on it more so than the Giro. Also he really needs to move from Europcar if he wants to win one. They aren't capable of supporting him, and they aren't likely to gain invites to the Vuelta or Giro regularly.
User avatar Alphabet
Junior Member
 
Posts: 815
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 03:01
Location: The yard

04 Dec 2012 11:12

Afrank wrote:At the moment Pinot seems to show the most potential to be a GT contender after getting a top 10 in his first GT. But Quintana I would say is the better climber of the two, his performance at the Giro dell'Emilia and the Vuelta showed what a great climber he is, as well as a lot of potential. Would like to see Quintana get leadership in a GT though, instead of having to work for Valverde again.


pinots natural itt, is much weaker than quintana though. he's also a bad downhiller. pinot is really the pure climber, while quintana is more allround. also see lombardia in the blistering rain. incredible.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,247
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

04 Dec 2012 11:13

Alphabet wrote:I went with Nairo. Pinot is very, very impressive, but Quintana was pacing the elite group and chasing down attacks from Contador and Rodriguez for Valverde at the Vuelta on 20% slopes. I'm not sure if Pinot, or indeed the vast majority of the peloton, is capable of climbing that well. As far as their ability to challenge for GC, I'm undecided. Does Pinot TT better than Quintana?

Also, I'm assuming Quintana is a good descender, because he held off Evans for a downhill stage finish at the Dauphine. I didn't watch that stage though, so I have no idea if it was a difficult descent or not.


quintana is good descender indeed. above average, despite his tiny frame. he has great technique. he improved in this so much. pinots downhil is quite bad
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,247
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

04 Dec 2012 11:31

Jason_Mercier wrote:If we talk about climbing talent for me it's something like this.
***** Pinot, Quintana
**** Dombrowski
*** Chaves

Then the Betancur, Aru, Bardet, Barguil, Anacona, Atapuma, Elissonde, Landa... are today in other level.


you forget argiro ospina, who is already above level of dombrowski imo. but you will find out about him next year.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,247
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

04 Dec 2012 11:58

Right now, Pinot by little margin.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,461
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aarononymous, Alcanelo, Bushman, Carols, cesko_jr, Dedelou, dubexcalibur, Eagle, Eshnar, FjPavels, Google Adsense [Bot], Googolplex, ILovecycling, Jspear, l.Harm, LaFlorecita, mb2612, Miburo, movingtarget, Mr.White, No_Balls, nuvolablu, Papa Lazarou, Pulp, qwer, rainman, rick james, Samamba, Sasquatch, sosososik, sultanofhyd, The Barb, TheGreenMonkey, Tim B, TourOfSardinia, Twenty-Nem and 110 guests

Back to top