Log in:  

Register

The Strongest Contador?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Strongest Contador?

Poll ended at 13 Mar 2013 21:47

Tour '07
15
15%
Tour '09
44
45%
Giro '11
21
22%
Waiting for tour '13 :D
17
18%
 
Total votes : 97

The Strongest Contador?

03 Dec 2012 21:46

No Clinic talk, I know it's hard :D

When do you think Contador was at his best? Or do you think Contador we haven't seen Contador at his best, that he can still improve? Or is it downhill from now on?

It's been a while since i've done a thread. And with a poll of course. A thread with no poll is just not the same.
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,735
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

03 Dec 2012 21:58

waiting for 13 :D
With Riis I think he can reach yet another level
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,431
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

03 Dec 2012 22:02

Between Tour 09 and Giro 11, but Tour 09 gets the vote due to better competition. He easily beat an in-form Andy Schleck in the mountains and also defeated Cancellara and Tony Martin in the time trial.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,249
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

03 Dec 2012 22:07

Verbier VAM record. And won the tt. To be fair matching Pantani up Plateu de beile is also worth considering but all time VAM record means Contador 09 is one of the best cimbing forces of all time.

Its also a bit harder to compare to Giro 11 and those Etna numbers might have been pretty darn high too but once again, VAM record Verbier, nuff said.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,192
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

03 Dec 2012 22:10

I woted for 2007 because 2009 route was pretty bad (Nothing happened between Arcalis and Verbier and almost nothing happened at Arcalis too) and he was just insane at Galibier-Plateau-Peyresourde
burning
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,255
Joined: 29 Feb 2012 21:33

03 Dec 2012 22:13

The Hitch wrote:Verbier VAM record. And won the tt. To be fair matching Pantani up Plateu de beile is also worth considering but all time VAM record means Contador 09 is one of the best cimbing forces of all time.

Its also a bit harder to compare to Giro 11 and those Etna numbers might have been pretty darn high too but once again, VAM record Verbier, nuff said.


I knew his numbers were high (lemond issue) but i didn't know it was a record. Even compared to Pantani/armstrong days?
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,735
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

03 Dec 2012 22:15

The Hitch wrote:Verbier VAM record. And won the tt. To be fair matching Pantani up Plateu de beile is also worth considering but all time VAM record means Contador 09 is one of the best cimbing forces of all time.

Its also a bit harder to compare to Giro 11 and those Etna numbers might have been pretty darn high too but once again, VAM record Verbier, nuff said.


We have to keep in mind he had extra motivation with the return of LA and his attempts to undermine Contador's efforts to show his superiority. There was a fire in his riding at the Tour in 2009 that hasn't been seen since. I think though that he still has it in him to match the level. Several riders of his era didn't reach their peaks until their 30's.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,811
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

03 Dec 2012 22:24

Giro '08. No?
He should ride it in 2013. as well.
Just to be sure about Wiggo.
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

03 Dec 2012 22:24

I will vote tour 2009 because he was really strong and had to survie Armstrong.
He had a very good level in the 2011 Giro
apmfbs
Junior Member
 
Posts: 178
Joined: 16 Oct 2011 10:39

03 Dec 2012 23:23

Giro 2011, because he didn't have a comically strong team, and the route wasn't so soft. It's easier to set a VAM record on Verbier after a flat stage than on a steeper climb after four other category 1 climbs or when you're so superior to everyone else you can afford to spend your energy on trying to find ways for your friends to get stages.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,823
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

03 Dec 2012 23:49

Libertine Seguros wrote:Giro 2011, because he didn't have a comically strong team, and the route wasn't so soft. It's easier to set a VAM record on Verbier after a flat stage than on a steeper climb


Wait. Isnt it harder on Verbier than on a steep climb since you are gaining less m altitude for every km on the road than you are on say, Marmolada.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,192
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

03 Dec 2012 23:51

Libertine Seguros wrote:Giro 2011, because he didn't have a comically strong team, and the route wasn't so soft. It's easier to set a VAM record on Verbier after a flat stage than on a steeper climb after four other category 1 climbs or when you're so superior to everyone else you can afford to spend your energy on trying to find ways for your friends to get stages.


With the same power output (and all other things equal), you'll have a higher VAM on a steeper ascent.
User avatar Magnus
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,237
Joined: 08 Apr 2010 17:47
Location: Denmark

04 Dec 2012 00:06

Magnus wrote:With the same power output (and all other things equal), you'll have a higher VAM on a steeper ascent.


Perhaps I was partially incorrect then.

But it's still easier to put out your top power output on a climb after an otherwise flat stage than on a climb that finishes a stage over several tough mountains.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,823
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

04 Dec 2012 00:43

It's hard to compare but I voted for Giro '11 just because he made it look so easy and I think that if he had better competition he could have gone even harder. In the 2009 Tour Contador has been super as well but, has someone already said, he had extra motivation because of the team situation. Anyway I'll be surprised if he can go even harder than during those two GTs.
User avatar lukinox
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 02 May 2011 12:24
Location: No more sunny UK, but really sunny Italy instead

04 Dec 2012 01:02

Verbier is so misleading.

The real performance was Romme-Colombiere.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,769
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

04 Dec 2012 01:44

lukinox wrote:It's hard to compare but I voted for Giro '11 just because he made it look so easy and I think that if he had better competition he could have gone even harder. In the 2009 Tour Contador has been super as well but, has someone already said, he had extra motivation because of the team situation. Anyway I'll be surprised if he can go even harder than during those two GTs.


Even though Evans, Schleck and a few others were not at the 2011 Giro, I agree Contador looked like he was from another planet. Gifting stages and he seemed to be coasting even though he said after the race that is was harder than it looked, it looked pretty easy to me. I remember Simoni's comments about Basso when Basso won the Giro. Something like he was riding like an android or an alien. Both Basso and Contador were totally in control and dominant. I would be surprised to see that sort of dominance again from Contador even though he could keep winning.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,588
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

04 Dec 2012 02:31

I would say Giro 2011, there may not have been as strong competition as there was at Tour 2009, but the route was one of the hardest we have seen in a long time. Plus he dominated the entire race; and he did it with ease. It's very close though, I'd say he was pretty close to the same level of strength in both races.

Angliru wrote:We have to keep in mind he had extra motivation with the return of LA and his attempts to undermine Contador's efforts to show his superiority. There was a fire in his riding at the Tour in 2009 that hasn't been seen since. I think though that he still has it in him to match the level. Several riders of his era didn't reach their peaks until their 30's.


Hmm, so all Riis needs to do to bring 2009 Contador back is sign a really good GT rider and send both him and Contador to the GT their targeting as co-leaders. Then just sit back and let Contador do his thing.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

04 Dec 2012 03:14

Ferminal wrote:Verbier is so misleading.

The real performance was Romme-Colombiere.


+1

Alcalis is rather a better example when Contador attacked while having that nasty headwind...

Folks also forget the "soft peddling" to keep LA in touch with the GC, the abrupt gaps already gained with the TTT, plus having Verbier as the very first MTF in the last week was not of a surprise for anyone to see the kind of "rage" that AC had in him to crush everyone...

Giro 11 to me is the ultimate demonstration of AC's powers-even if his competitors weren't near to challenge him-the parcours was madly tough to break anyone in a bad day...
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,391
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

04 Dec 2012 03:41

Vino attacks everyone wrote:waiting for 13 :D
With Riis I think he can reach yet another level


I agree. : D
User avatar pdluz7
Junior Member
 
Posts: 162
Joined: 17 Sep 2012 14:26
Location: Brazil

04 Dec 2012 05:56

2009. All sources indicate that he will never ever be that strong again.
SiAp1984
Junior Member
 
Posts: 257
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 14:52
Location: Germany

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandre B., Axis, cellardoor, Dmitri Karamazov, Hugo Koblet, jflemaire, LaFlorecita, One Eyed Aussie, spanky wanderlust, Stilletto, sulgpallur and 53 guests

Back to top