Log in:  

Register

Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?

Poll ended at 23 Jan 2013 21:19

Boonen
76
52%
Cancellara
70
48%
 
Total votes : 146

Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?

04 Dec 2012 21:18

It seems we almost only talk about GT's. Well this should be interesting.

Boonen obviously won more than Canc but that's not all that counts of course ;)

Btw this poll is not indicating that those 2 are the best ever. It's just in who do you think is better between those 2, that's it.
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,258
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

04 Dec 2012 21:42

At their peaks noone is stronger than Cancellara.
Boonen has been lucky/strong over a much longer time, but no way in hell he can follow a cancellara in top shape.
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,343
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

04 Dec 2012 22:00

Professional cycling ≠ PCM
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

04 Dec 2012 22:05

will10 wrote:Professional cycling ≠ PCM


on pcm Hushovd wins Flandern and Rubaix way to often rofl
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,343
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

04 Dec 2012 22:08

Boonen, without a doubt. Cancellara is a machine (in general) but not a specific cobble-man: he just rides incredibly hard. Boonen, however, is a true specialist. The way he rides on the cobbles (compared to others, and compared to himself on other surfaces) no one does. It's not a coincidence he won Roubaix (and other cobbled races) multiple times. He's a true specialist.
Nilsson
Junior Member
 
Posts: 358
Joined: 10 Jan 2012 19:08

04 Dec 2012 22:18

Boonen.
The sprint edges the TT capability here.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,802
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

04 Dec 2012 22:32

Cancellara can ride harder on cobbles, but Boonen is the best becaus he is more of a killer and doesn't need to ride away solo
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,016
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

04 Dec 2012 22:35

everytime cancellara vs boonen. cancellara always won
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,068
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

04 Dec 2012 22:43

Ryo Hazuki wrote:everytime cancellara vs boonen. cancellara always won


Roubaix '08?

Don't tell me you think Ballan was relevant :rolleyes:

Btw the only TRUE versus they had was RVV '10 so yeah...
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,258
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

04 Dec 2012 22:45

Miburo wrote:Roubaix '08?

Don't tell me you think Ballan was relevant :rolleyes:

Btw the only TRUE versus they had was RVV '10 so yeah...

so yeah, cancellara kicked his *** all the way.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,068
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

04 Dec 2012 23:10

Is this the first time anyone has addressed this mysterious issue?
User avatar richtea
Junior Member
 
Posts: 352
Joined: 06 May 2011 11:26

04 Dec 2012 23:19

Boonen. He was 3rd in the 2002 edition of P-R. 22 years old.
He's just a class act.

Not not say Cancellara isn't, overall the Swiss machine is definitely a better and more enjoyable rider...but Tommeke is really born for those cobbled races.
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,414
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 10:48
Location: On the Moon

04 Dec 2012 23:20

Boonen was better, Cancellara is better, so to answer the question who is better, its clearly Cancellara.

Well see though when the odds for RVV and PR come out. Do people really think Boonen will have lower odds than the Canc? Do ya?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,561
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

04 Dec 2012 23:38

They are Both Great 50/50 shot, depends on the day who would win...no selection for that so I won't vote.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,631
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

04 Dec 2012 23:43

The Hitch wrote:Boonen was better, Cancellara is better, so to answer the question who is better, its clearly Cancellara.

Well see though when the odds for RVV and PR come out. Do people really think Boonen will have lower odds than the Canc? Do ya?


yes? boonen won those races last season+has a better team and a better record so why would cancellara have lower odds? because of his performances from 2010?

you say boonen was better but he dominated last season and cancellara's last monument win was in 2010 so why is cancellara better atm when he wasn't won in nearly 3 years?

anyway cancellara is the more complete bike rider but over cobbles boonen is better.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,096
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

04 Dec 2012 23:50

maybe because cancellara was injured last year :rolleyes: and in 2011, he was a class act
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,068
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

04 Dec 2012 23:56

Ryo Hazuki wrote:maybe because cancellara was injured last year :rolleyes: and in 2011, he was a class act


being injured happens, it happened to boonen during the preparation for cobbled races in 2011 with several knee problems and crashes.

and he was a class act who lost, wasn't boonen a class act this year as well? i could swear he solo'd for 10k longer then cancellara did in PR 2010 and was the one that started the attacks on omloop, E3 and GW. only race where he rode defensively was on flanders.

should i include "rolleyes" in my post to pretend what your counter argument is, it's so pathetic it shouldn't even be taken in consideration like you like to do?
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,096
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

04 Dec 2012 23:59

Parrulo wrote:being injured happens, it happened to boonen during the preparation for cobbled races in 2011 with several knee problems and crashes.


Well you have to be pretty desperate to rest your entire argument on a 1st vs DNS and a 1st vs DNF.

By the same logic Voeckler is a better climber than Andy Schleck.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,561
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

05 Dec 2012 00:11

what? you are not even making sense. i don't think ryo was still talking about the odds but why did boonen dominate this year, which seems to be because of cancellara's injury. funny enough i seem to recall cancellara racing both E3 and GW just fine so by the time he got injured at the ronde, the score was already 2-0 for boonen.

but you are right on one thing, i am really desperate to make sure people see my main man tom boonen as the best cobblestone rider, after all his palmares doesn't do it on it's own ;)

at the end of the day it's all about the score board:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG0Hi-UDUZk
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,096
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

05 Dec 2012 00:42

Boonen, hands down. Canc has his moments, but Tomke is Top Dawg on the cobbles.
User avatar Old School
Junior Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 12 Mar 2010 12:42
Location: Baltimore

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fowlyetti, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jack_89, ray j willings, WoodmanWoody and 29 guests

Back to top