Log in:  

Register

Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?

Poll ended at 23 Jan 2013 21:19

Boonen
76
52%
Cancellara
70
48%
 
Total votes : 146

10 Dec 2012 21:32

Ryo Hazuki wrote:boonen and his gearing "problem" I guess you are the only one who still believes that crap :o


Why would he make excuses when he won the race? You're so quick to judge yet you're the first one to make excuses when one of your favorite riders fail.

I guess you're the only one that believes what you say.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

10 Dec 2012 21:55

oh this is typical 4 year old calimero. "let's turn exactly everything the other said around to attack him!"

in dutch: "wat je zegt ben je zelf met je kop door de helft." I don't know if there is an english saying for this but this is what we used to say when we were 4 and el calimero still does it :)
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,409
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

10 Dec 2012 22:04

Ryo Hazuki wrote:oh this is typical 4 year old calimero. "let's turn exactly everything the other said around to attack him!"

in dutch: "wat je zegt ben je zelf met je kop door de helft." I don't know if there is an english saying for this but this is what we used to say when we were 4 and el calimero still does it :)


Is that the come-back of a five year old that you copied on a different forum and keep posting here?

It's a genuine observation. You make all kinds of absurd predictions and when they don't come out you come with silly excuses to explain the failures your favorite riders.

It's pure hypocrisy. The only reason I'm turning around what you say is because your guilty of making up excuses for your favorite riders. It's hilarious to see you hating on Boonen for making up excuses when you're even worse than him. :o

Or you could just admit that you hate Boonen because he's Belgian instead of trying to find reasons to hate him. I think everyone knows why you hate him, stop this little act.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

10 Dec 2012 22:16

El Pistolero wrote:Why would he make excuses when he won the race?


Because he didn't want to acknowledge that he was weaker than Ballan and Pozzato on the hills, I would guess.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

10 Dec 2012 22:17

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Because he didn't want to acknowledge that he was weaker than Ballan and Pozzato on the hills, I would guess.


Then why did he say Pozzato was stronger than him on the hills?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

10 Dec 2012 22:17

Magnus wrote:

So crashing a lot is imperative to being a good bike handler?



Where in gods name did you get that from?

Not being brought down by bottles in feed zone is part of being a good bike handler imo.

Christ, what did Cancellara do. You act as if ronde was some bottle gauntlet where everyone had to dodge flying bottles and Cancellara was the **** bike handler who failed when everyone else succeeded.

Was Langevelds crash also the fault of **** bike handling?

What about Flecha and Hoogie in the Tour? **** bike handlers no doubt:rolleyes:

And since you bring up Schleck, wouldn't it be fair to say that his (Frank) spectacular TdS crashes (who founded the 'Schlecks are bad bike handlers'-narrative) was due to attacking and taking risks on the descend?


Stop thinking in terms of absolutes. **** bike handlers are less likely to take risks.
That doesnt matter that they dont take risks or that top bike handlers always do.

Its pretty logical that people who take more risks are more likely to crash.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,436
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

10 Dec 2012 22:25

El Pistolero wrote:Then why did he say Pozzato was stronger than him on the hills?


Fair enough. He still didn't want to own up to the fact that he almost got dropped, IMO.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

10 Dec 2012 22:30

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Fair enough. He still didn't want to own up to the fact that he almost got dropped, IMO.


If he was really that close to breaking you'd think he wouldn't react to Ballan's attacks so easily after the hills. Probably what Pozzato was thinking considering he didn't attack once and thought he could beat Boonen in the sprint.

And Ballan did know they gapped Boonen on the hill by the way, just take a look your self in some of the post race interviews. So who ever made the statement that Ballan and Pippo would've rode away from Boonen had they known is clearly wrong. :o

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/0B3O8JKT

Does this sound like an egomaniac to you?

"Toen Filippo Pozzato naar hem toesnelde, had ik geen keuze. Wilde ik mijn kansen vrijwaren, dan moest ik hard op zijn wiel springen. Pozzato was de sterkste van de dag. Hij heeft zijn benen van weleer duidelijk teruggevonden."

Read the whole interview before judging. But hey, if you want to believe Ryo over Boonen be my guest...
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

10 Dec 2012 22:30

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
in dutch: "wat je zegt ben je zelf met je kop door de helft." I don't know if there is an english saying for this but this is what we used to say when we were 4 and el calimero still does it :)


let me guess is it " I know you are but what am I"
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,436
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

10 Dec 2012 22:32

Looks like some late precincts are reporting heavily for Cancellara and the balance of power in the poll has just switched:)

You gonna set up a few more sockpuppets to vote, Pisti?;)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,436
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

10 Dec 2012 22:38

The Hitch wrote:Looks like some late precincts are reporting heavily for Cancellara and the balance of power in the poll has just switched

You gonna set up a few more sockpuppets to vote, Pisti?


I don't vote in silly polls because I don't care who wins a poll. ;)

Image

This is what matters and Boonen has won a hell of a lot more than Cancellara. :)

Cancellara is good at winning polls on CN, but not much else. :o
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

10 Dec 2012 22:39

The Hitch wrote:Where in gods name did you get that from?


Christ, what did Cancellara do. You act as if ronde was some bottle gauntlet where everyone had to dodge flying bottles and Cancellara was the **** bike handler who failed when everyone else succeeded.

Was Langevelds crash also the fault of **** bike handling?

What about Flecha and Hoogie in the Tour? **** bike handlers no doubt:rolleyes:



Stop thinking in terms of absolutes. **** bike handlers are less likely to take risks.
That doesnt matter that they dont take risks or that top bike handlers always do.

Its pretty logical that people who take more risks are more likely to crash.


any feed zone of any race is a "bottle gauntlet" as riders receive new bottles on their bags so they ditch their old ones, why do you think some riders wait a couple k's before even opening their bags? feed zones are sometimes the most dangerous parts of a race. stuff like this happens but a seasoned rider like cancellara shouldn't be getting caught on this kind of stuff anymore. i wouldn't go as far as blaming it on his bike handling as much as blaming it on his carelessness.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,180
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

10 Dec 2012 22:43

El Pistolero wrote:Cancellara is good at winning polls on CN, but not much else. :o


I think I just found my new signature:)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,436
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

10 Dec 2012 22:47

Parrulo wrote:any feed zone of any race is a "bottle gauntlet" as riders receive new bottles on their bags so they ditch their old ones, why do you think some riders wait a couple k's before even opening their bags? feed zones are sometimes the most dangerous parts of a race. stuff like this happens but a seasoned rider like cancellara shouldn't be getting caught on this kind of stuff anymore. i wouldn't go as far as blaming it on his bike handling as much as blaming it on his carelessness.


I think that's too advanced stuff for someone who hasn't watched any cobbled classics before 2010. It's also understandable that a lot of people think Cancellara is better overall considering by the looks of their posts they weren't watching cycling classics before 2010.

Roger de Vlaeminck even called Cancellara after that day to say he made a mistake. :p Not that he's right all the time, but sometimes he is.

The Hitch wrote:I think I just found my new signature:)


Still mad about the Goss thing? :D

Ps: at least quote it correctly, with the emoticon.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

11 Dec 2012 00:04

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Because he didn't want to acknowledge that he was weaker than Ballan and Pozzato on the hills, I would guess.


Bingo.

When FC dumped him on the Muur in 2010 it's because he "cramped." When he was dumped at PR a week later it's because he was in a bad position.

I'm not Boonen bashing by any stretch. I've been in Belgium when Belgians win the RVV and when non-Belgians win.

A Belgian winning is a helluva lot more fun:D

But, I still say, if both are going well, FC wins more times than TB.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,023
Joined: 08 Nov 2012 16:47
Location: Southern California

11 Dec 2012 00:07

Scott SoCal wrote:Bingo.

When FC dumped him on the Muur in 2010 it's because he "cramped." When he was dumped at PR a week later it's because he was in a bad position.

I'm not Boonen bashing by any stretch. I've been in Belgium when Belgians win the RVV and when non-Belgians win.

A Belgian winning is a helluva lot more fun:D

But, I still say, if both are going well, FC wins more times than TB.


No point in arguing with you if you just ignore the interview posted. It contradicts everything you claim.

If FC is supposed to win more than Boonen then why doesn't he? It's a silly statement to make with nothing to back it up.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

11 Dec 2012 00:10

The Hitch wrote:let me guess is it " I know you are but what am I"


it literally means "what you say are yourself with your head cut in half" something like that.

don't know if this translation does it justice but I'm sure you recognize calimero in this
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,409
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

11 Dec 2012 00:10

El Pistolero wrote:I don't vote in silly polls because I don't care who wins a poll. ;)

Image

This is what matters and Boonen has won a hell of a lot more than Cancellara. :)

Cancellara is good at winning polls on CN, but not much else. :o


I hope one of the mods or admins here can confirm you haven't voted in this poll then.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,409
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

11 Dec 2012 00:44

El Pistolero wrote:No point in arguing with you if you just ignore the interview posted. It contradicts everything you claim.

If FC is supposed to win more than Boonen then why doesn't he? It's a silly statement to make with nothing to back it up.


You mean the part where Boonen says this?

Pozzato was the strongest of the day.


At least he was being honest.

If FC is supposed to win more than Boonen then why doesn't he?


Amazing how things happen during a bike race, isn't it?

It's a silly statement to make with nothing to back it up.


Oh, I think there's plenty to back it up and I'd guess that about half the true cycling aficionados will agree with me and about half will agree with you. That's not nothing.:)
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,023
Joined: 08 Nov 2012 16:47
Location: Southern California

11 Dec 2012 01:02

In some ways, the poll is unfair. Take away cobblestone ability from Boonen and you are left with a milquetoast husk that has no other reason for cycling.
Take away cobblestone ability from Cancellara and you still have currently one of the best time trialistists, classics winner, Strade Bianchi winner, Tour de Suisse winner and countless other accolades. Cancellara the cyclist has much more well rounded capability than Boonen. Boonen merely exists for 8 calendar days in the year.

Yes, I know its a digression and not the point of the thread. But I find it hard to think of Boonen as an equal or better than Cancellara at anything....except for maybe unintenionally doing coke. Boonen's got Cancellara beat on that.
No longer Polysorbate 80 Free.
trompe le monde
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,148
Joined: 24 Nov 2009 11:24

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arvc40, blackmamba, Forunculo, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Googolplex, jaylew, Lambanna, Marco Pantani, Mayomaniac, Nastyy, Pricey_sky, Punter, Ryaguas, SlickMongoose, TMP402 and 77 guests

Back to top