Register

Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?

Poll ended at 23 Jan 2013 21:19

Boonen
52%
Cancellara
48%

Total votes : 146

11 Dec 2012 15:36

El Pistolero wrote:
Gent-Wevelgem and E3 Prijs Harelbeke are a bit comparable for cobbled riders to what Paris-Nice or Pais Vasco is like to Contador. Tour is the main goal, but it's nice to win a stage race like that.

Well yes, racing to win is always nice, but should Contador fail to win a GT in '13, his season will likely be called a failure. Big stars, big target etc.

My point is should one of the cobbles riders outshine the other in the RVV + P-R campaign next year a follow up poll will likely go in the direction of who ever came out with the best results in these two races.
Dazed and Confused

11 Dec 2012 15:38

trompe le monde wrote:I'm just judging them on what they, and what the cycling world, would value most out of the cobbled races, Flanders and Roubaix. I'm not discrediting races like Omloop or Gent Wevelgem, just think they should be judged according to the highest level of competition, of which most serious cobbled classics racers would latch their dreams onto winning one of Roubaix or Flanders.

Let's take European football for an example. Would you say that winning the Europa Cup is just as prestigious as winning the Champions League? They're both nice achievements, but the Champions League is certainly more prestigious and much harder to win. For me, Roubaix and Flanders are like the Champions League and the other cobbled races are like the Europa League. It's not that big a stretch to make such an anology.

Am I wrong to think to this? No, at least I hope not.

Think we are on the same page, misunderstood you.
Dazed and Confused

11 Dec 2012 15:51

trompe le monde wrote:I'm just judging them on what they, and what the cycling world, would value most out of the cobbled races, Flanders and Roubaix. I'm not discrediting races like Omloop or Gent Wevelgem, just think they should be judged according to the highest level of competition, of which most serious cobbled classics racers would latch their dreams onto winning one of Roubaix or Flanders.

Let's take European football for an example. Would you say that winning the Europa Cup is just as prestigious as winning the Champions League? They're both nice achievements, but the Champions League is certainly more prestigious and much harder to win. For me, Roubaix and Flanders are like the Champions League and the other cobbled races are like the Europa League. It's not that big a stretch to make such an anology.

Am I wrong to think to this? No, at least I hope not.

Dazed and Confused wrote:Well yes, racing to win is always nice, but should Contador fail to win a GT in '13, his season will likely be called a failure. Big stars, big target etc.

My point is should one of the cobbles riders outshine the other in the RVV + P-R campaign next year a follow up poll will likely go in the direction of who ever came out with the best results in these two races.

Dazed and Confused wrote:Think we are on the same page, misunderstood you.

The thing is, Boonen is also a record holder in all the races I posted besides Omloop het Volk and Dwars door Vlaanderen. That includes the big ones.

If we're talking about best cobbles rider these other races should also be taken into account.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

11 Dec 2012 16:00

El Pistolero wrote:The thing is, Boonen is also a record holder in all the races I posted besides Omloop het Volk and Dwars door Vlaanderen. That includes the big ones.

If we're talking about best cobbles rider these other races should also be taken into account.

Personally voted Boonen this time, but mostly because of his results in RVV and P-R and his performance this year. Should Cancellara come back in '13 and crush Boonen in RVV and P-R perhaps I will vote differently. Dunno. Again my point is which way the majority will vote.
Dazed and Confused

11 Dec 2012 16:11

Dazed and Confused wrote:Personally voted Boonen this time, but mostly because of his results in RVV and P-R and his performance this year. Should Cancellara come back in '13 and crush Boonen in RVV and P-R perhaps I will vote differently. Dunno. Again my point is which way the majority will vote.

Topic is about 2002(Boonen's first podium in a major classic)-2012 though. If Cancellara beats Boonen next year than so be it, but it won't change my opinion that in the period mentioned here Boonen was the better of the two most of the time.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

11 Dec 2012 16:24

El Pistolero wrote:Topic is about 2002(Boonen's first podium in a major classic)-2012 though. If Cancellara beats Boonen next year than so be it, but it won't change my opinion that in the period mentioned here Boonen was the better of the two most of the time.

we all know your opinion will never change
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

11 Dec 2012 16:25

Scott SoCal wrote: I think FC has more raw horsepower than does Boonen and I think they both know it. FC rides like he can do anything he wants, anytime he wants. Boonen rides to conserve until its time to race, which is smart.

About what I said earlier. Cancellara has more power but Boonen is technically better.

Actually, Cancellara is Merckx and Boonen: De Vlaeminck (and that's kind to Boonen, lol).

For the readers, I'd like to mention that De Vlaeminck does not give a damn about his record being tied. He's 65 and a 65 year old has many other things to care about than this.

Savant12 wrote: I think Boonen is the smarter one on the cobbles. Not to mention he has a better team built around him than Cancellara has.

On the cobbles it's everyman for himself anyway. (Says De Vlaeminck lol)
Echoes

11 Dec 2012 16:40

Echoes wrote:About what I said earlier. Cancellara has more power but Boonen is technically better.

Actually, Cancellara is Merckx and Boonen: De Vlaeminck (and that's kind to Boonen, lol).

For the readers, I'd like to mention that De Vlaeminck does not give a damn about his record being tied. He's 65 and a 65 year old has many other things to care about than this.

then you clearly don't know de vlaeminck
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

11 Dec 2012 16:47

Echoes wrote:About what I said earlier. Cancellara has more power but Boonen is technically better.

I'd say the gap between RDV and Boonen is a lot smaller than the gap between Merckx and Cancellara. :o

Roger de Vlaeminck only won the Ronde van Vlaanderen once in 1977 and had to pay Freddy Maertens to tow him to victory... Not a very decent victory and he knows it.

User avatar El Pistolero

12 Dec 2012 19:29

Those Dutchies. :rolleyes:

Always know everything better than anyone else ...
Echoes

12 Dec 2012 22:58

So where do we go from here? Do we continue on to the next rider and have a VS thread per rider till the new season starts?
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

12 Dec 2012 23:41

ElChingon wrote:So where do we go from here? Do we continue on to the next rider and have a VS thread per rider till the new season starts?

That is exactly what we should do. :D Got to get through the off season somehow.

Only question is who is next? Pinot vs. Quintana? Contador vs. Froome? Valverde vs. Purito?
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

12 Dec 2012 23:47

Afrank wrote:That is exactly what we should do. :D Got to get through the off season somehow.

Only question is who is next? Pinot vs. Quintana?

Dude, that was like 1 week ago. I can understand if you missed it though since its that annoying guy who thinks anyone under 22 is guaranteed to win a gt, giving it some confusing title.

Personally the ones i like best are Cancellara vs Cav on 200km flat, or navy seals vs pro cyclist etc.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

12 Dec 2012 23:54

I know, just throwing out some examples.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

13 Dec 2012 04:13

So it's settled then. Cancellara is the more robust, powerful and better rider on the famed pave.

What else can we talk about?
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal

13 Dec 2012 05:46

Scott SoCal wrote:So it's settled then. Cancellara is the more robust, powerful and better rider on the famed pave.

What else can we talk about?

who will be the better brewer or who can consume more beer between Boonen and F Canc? :D
User avatar Zam_Olyas

13 Dec 2012 07:48

Zam_Olyas wrote:who will be the better brewer or who can consume more beer between Boonen and F Canc? :D

That's got to be Boonen. He is Belgian ;)
Bushman

13 Dec 2012 07:51

Echoes wrote:Those Dutchies. :rolleyes:

Always know everything better than anyone else ...

Ofcourse. All dutchies are the same...

What I know of De Vlaeminck is that he's quite a bitter man usually. Wether he cares about his record or not I do not know.
User avatar Kwibus

13 Dec 2012 12:24

"Tom is the best spring rider of the last 20 years. But now he needs to try and win Milan-San Remo and the Giro di Lombardia like I did."
Roger De Vlaeminck in Het Niewsblad after Boonen equalled his record of four wins in Roubaix

This was pulled from the 2012 Year in Review Issue of Cycle Sport magazine as one of their quotes of the year.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

13 Dec 2012 12:29

Bushman wrote:That's got to be Boonen. He is Belgian ;)

Wasn't there a picture from after cobbled classics 2010 with cancellara stacking beer cans on a table sitting on a team bus.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing