Log in:  

Register

Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?

Poll ended at 23 Jan 2013 21:19

Boonen
76
52%
Cancellara
70
48%
 
Total votes : 146

05 Dec 2012 18:13

Ryo Hazuki wrote:exactly. when cancellara wins, he rules over the race. I also remember that e3 win, something I've never seen boonen do or will ever see him do.


You mean when all the good riders were riding Gent-Wevelem? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJpA8-lSI44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTSTlt2Zqjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yy4dj-koM

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.988671

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.988645
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

05 Dec 2012 18:13

El Pistolero wrote:Cancellara never dropped Chavanel.

If you're talking about Boonen: he got sick during Tirreno-Adriatico and was coming back from a knee injury. Those things tend to undermine your preparation.


yet we shouldn't talk about cancellaras actual CRASH in tour of flanders last year? you truly are a joke, but pls continue. it's getting more hilarious with every post :o
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,267
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

05 Dec 2012 18:15

El Pistolero wrote:Boonen was having a problem with his shifting gears. Now whether that was an excuse or not I do not know(nor do you), but it does explain why he struggled on that hill.

That's one year only anyway, completely ignoring everything else.


the same boonen who said one time he lost a sprint because his tube was emptying? or the same boonen who got his *** kicked in msr sprint by petacchi, but boonen claiming he lost the sprint deliberatly because he saw pozzato was winning, when clealry in eveyr replay you would see boonen sprint to the line. the guy is a f;'n joke in all of his comments. he's a worse loser than thor hushovd. and also if I got 5 cents every time boonen came up with his shifting gears excuse. I'd be a millionaire. what imbecile is he? a pro rider that can't even shift gears? he's a bigger idiot than andy schleck
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,267
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

05 Dec 2012 18:17

El Pistolero wrote:You mean when all the good riders were riding Gent-Wevelem? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJpA8-lSI44

I don't care what you say about compeition. show me boonen doing that in any race anywhere.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,267
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

05 Dec 2012 18:22

Ryo Hazuki wrote:the same boonen who said one time he lost a sprint because his tube was emptying? or the same boonen who got his *** kicked in msr sprint by petacchi, but boonen claiming he lost the sprint deliberatly because he saw pozzato was winning, when clealry in eveyr replay you would see boonen sprint to the line. the guy is a f;'n joke in all of his comments. he's a worse loser than thor hushovd. and also if I got 5 cents every time boonen came up with his shifting gears excuse. I'd be a millionaire. what imbecile is he? a pro rider that can't even shift gears? he's a bigger idiot than andy schleck

He just can't get used to. It happens rarely.
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

05 Dec 2012 18:23

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I don't care what you say about compeition. show me boonen doing that in any race anywhere.


I showed you 5 vids, but you're not smart enough to click and watch a race, so before you call pro riders idiots look into a mirror.

And learn how to spell for crying out loud. Your Dutch is even worse than your English, I find that worrying. I wouldn't call people "dumb" and "idiots" all the time if I were you. Most of them will probably have a bigger intellectual capacity than you.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:yet we shouldn't talk about cancellaras actual CRASH in tour of flanders last year? you truly are a joke, but pls continue. it's getting more hilarious with every post :o


I never said you couldn't. I said that if you want to play the injury card with Cancellara you have to do the same when talking about Boonen, but Hitch and you clearly have no intention of doing that. The sword cuts both ways.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

05 Dec 2012 18:29

cool it down with the personal insults or bans will be handed to both sides of the discussion.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,172
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

05 Dec 2012 18:36

Ryo Hazuki wrote:the same boonen who said one time he lost a sprint because his tube was emptying? or the same boonen who got his *** kicked in msr sprint by petacchi, but boonen claiming he lost the sprint deliberatly because he saw pozzato was winning, when clealry in eveyr replay you would see boonen sprint to the line. the guy is a f;'n joke in all of his comments. he's a worse loser than thor hushovd. and also if I got 5 cents every time boonen came up with his shifting gears excuse. I'd be a millionaire. what imbecile is he? a pro rider that can't even shift gears? he's a bigger idiot than andy schleck

Sorry to spoil your little rant with facts, but the race you're going on about is the 2006 Milan-San Remo. Here's the video, with slow-motion. http://www.cyclingfever.com/video.html?detp=view&video_idd=ODQyMg==

It isn't subtle. Boonen is on Petacchi's wheel and as soon as he sees Pozzato win, which is considerably before the line, he sits up, stops sprinting, and raises his hands in celebration for his team mate. Which isn't to say that he would have beaten Petacchi, but that he clearly didn't try. You might want to watch the video again.
User avatar Wallace
Junior Member
 
Posts: 680
Joined: 18 Mar 2009 00:13

05 Dec 2012 19:01

El Pistolero wrote:I showed you 5 vids, but you're not smart enough to click and watch a race, so before you call pro riders idiots look into a mirror.

And learn how to spell for crying out loud. Your Dutch is even worse than your English, I find that worrying. I wouldn't call people "dumb" and "idiots" all the time if I were you. Most of them will probably have a bigger intellectual capacity than you.



I never said you couldn't. I said that if you want to play the injury card with Cancellara you have to do the same when talking about Boonen, but Hitch and you clearly have no intention of doing that. The sword cuts both ways.



none of the videos you showed me, were anything close of what cancellara did that e3. what cancellara did there. I've never seen in my life
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,267
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

05 Dec 2012 19:02

Wallace wrote:Sorry to spoil your little rant with facts, but the race you're going on about is the 2006 Milan-San Remo. Here's the video, with slow-motion. http://www.cyclingfever.com/video.html?detp=view&video_idd=ODQyMg==

It isn't subtle. Boonen is on Petacchi's wheel and as soon as he sees Pozzato win, which is considerably before the line, he sits up, stops sprinting, and raises his hands in celebration for his team mate. Which isn't to say that he would have beaten Petacchi, but that he clearly didn't try. You might want to watch the video again.


boonen after the finish claimed he would've beaten petacchi had he not sen pozzato won. boonen clealry went sprint full on, when he saw he lost, he sat up and pretended to be glad about pozzato's win. he could've never foreseen that. was very close anyway
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,267
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

05 Dec 2012 19:07

Miburo wrote:It seems we almost only talk about GT's. Well this should be interesting.


Yes, CN forum is not what it used to be, I keep saying it.



However, the answer is Boonen.

Cancellara is the best rider overall, though. You don't need to be a cobble specialist to win Paris-Roubaix. He won his two Paris-Roubaix because he was the best on the asphalt but not on the cobbles, just like Merckx and Hinault before him.

Remember this: Paris-Roubaix is not a race for specialists !
Echoes
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,877
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

05 Dec 2012 19:09

Ryo Hazuki wrote:none of the videos you showed me, were anything close of what cancellara did that e3. what cancellara did there. I've never seen in my life


Watch a race where Cancellara's main rival isn't Bram Tankink then. ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

05 Dec 2012 19:26

El Pistolero wrote:

I never said you couldn't. I said that if you want to play the injury card with Cancellara you have to do the same when talking about Boonen, but Hitch and you clearly have no intention of doing that. The sword cuts both ways.


Come on thats slander. Even you testified before that whatever my flaws hypocricy is not.one. When did i overlook boonens injuries? I havent even made many comments on 2010 or 11 all ive been arguing this whole thread is that empjasis on what happened 5,6,7 years ago is overblown. Im always willing to consider opponents injuries and yes boonen was unlucky in pr 2011 for example ( and actually canc himself could have benefited from boonen there.

And hell the main "injury" to boonen youve mentioned this thread was what boonen is goong through now and you then said that the hitch would no doubt ignore it of cancellara wins next year. Which is a bit cheap bevause that hasnt happenednso you are attavking me.for what you percieve may happen in the future.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,280
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

05 Dec 2012 19:39

better cobblestone rider? i'd say tommeke looking at the palmares
still cancellara is like isaac sirko said about dexter, a different kind of animal. superior to boonen. i eagerly await the clash of these titans in april!
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,284
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

05 Dec 2012 19:40

Jason_Mercier wrote:Better cobblestone rider: Boonen
Better rider by potential: Cancellara


Agree on that.

I repeat my post because I hate posting last on a page. :D


The answer is Boonen.

Cancellara is the best rider overall, though. You don't need to be a cobble specialist to win Paris-Roubaix. He won his two Paris-Roubaix because he was the best on the asphalt but not on the cobbles, just like Merckx and Hinault before him.

Remember this: Paris-Roubaix is not a race for specialists.



And I add that by 1982, De Vlaeminck said: "Hinault and Raas won Paris-Roubaix because they were great champions but not cobble specialists."

I guess he knows what he's saying.
Echoes
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,877
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

05 Dec 2012 20:41

There's a lot of things that make a great cobbles rider. Canc in general seems to have the better engine (joke only partly intended...), but Boonen seems to be better at actually racing: can win more ways, better positioning, better decision making and reading of races. Canc has one card to play, it's better than Boonen's best card, and when the time is right Canc can win big. But Boonen has more cards he can play, and a better sense of when to play those cards.
silverrocket
Junior Member
 
Posts: 293
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 20:39
Location: Western Canada

05 Dec 2012 20:49

boonen is definitely not better in positioning himself. cancellara is probably the best placer and steerer in the entire peloton, save perhaps sagan
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,267
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

05 Dec 2012 20:56

Ryo Hazuki wrote:boonen is definitely not better in positioning himself. cancellara is probably the best placer and steerer in the entire peloton, save perhaps sagan


Boonen is better in positioning, that's been proven enough in the cobblestone races.
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,878
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

05 Dec 2012 20:58

jens_attacks wrote:better cobblestone rider? i'd say tommeke looking at the palmares
still cancellara is like isaac sirko said about dexter, a different kind of animal. superior to boonen. i eagerly await the clash of these titans in april!


Shame about Isaac although I knew his end had to come eventually. I just wished they could've drawn out his character's time on the show a bit longer. One of the better TV villains. :)

Okay, back to cycling.:D
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,847
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

05 Dec 2012 21:01

Ryo Hazuki wrote:boonen is definitely not better in positioning himself. cancellara is probably the best placer and steerer in the entire peloton, save perhaps sagan

Skilled in placing his back on the ground, or chain around his neck?
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlurryVII, fujiman, Jakob747, Jelantik, Moose McKnuckles, spanky wanderlust, vbap, Yahoo [Bot] and 26 guests

Back to top