Log in:  

Register

2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 Dec 2012 09:38

greenedge wrote:Why not Tour of Oman for Gesink?

Also i would assume Mollema would lead at the Vuelta, unless if they do not consider him to be a GT contender.

They will be good next year: Vanmarcke and Boom for the cobbles, Mollema and Slagter for Ardennes and Bos and Renshaw for sprints and a sound plan for the GC riders.

They also have Nordhaug for the Ardennes. And yes, Mollema is a GT contender. He will be their main man for the TDF and probably for the Vuelta.
TheArt
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 31 May 2011 16:23

14 Dec 2012 10:06

greenedge wrote:Why not Tour of Oman for Gesink?

Also i would assume Mollema would lead at the Vuelta, unless if they do not consider him to be a GT contender.

They will be good next year: Vanmarcke and Boom for the cobbles, Mollema and Slagter for Ardennes and Bos and Renshaw for sprints and a sound plan for the GC riders.


Mollema will lead the team at the Tour. He'll be their #1 guy for the Tour, actually. I don't think he has it in him, though. Seems more of a Vuelta guy like Valverde, except not of the same level.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

14 Dec 2012 10:24

Tour of Romandie route is being announce or unveiled on Twitter right now it seems.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

14 Dec 2012 10:27

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Mollema will lead the team at the Tour. He'll be their #1 guy for the Tour, actually. I don't think he has it in him, though. Seems more of a Vuelta guy like Valverde, except not of the same level.

You don't think he has what in him? He's done two Tours, in one of which he got sick and in the other he crashed hard. I have no idea what his potential in the Tour is.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

14 Dec 2012 10:39

There will be a final time trial around Geneva and a supposedly quite decent Mountain stage to the Diablerets ski resort that will feature in the Tour of Romandie. I think there is also a 7.5km prologue.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

14 Dec 2012 12:02

theyoungest wrote:You don't think he has what in him? He's done two Tours, in one of which he got sick and in the other he crashed hard. I have no idea what his potential in the Tour is.


His track record in other races isn't particularly impressive as far as "real" climbing (Angliru being the most relevant example as he had the form of his life) and flat time trialing are concerned. He doesn't stand out as a climber and can't compensate that with a killer flat time trial like several other guys can.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

14 Dec 2012 12:16

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:His track record in other races isn't particularly impressive as far as "real" climbing (Angliru being the most relevant example as he had the form of his life) and flat time trialing are concerned. He doesn't stand out as a climber and can't compensate that with a killer flat time trial like several other guys can.

Angliru... yeah there's your typical Tour de France style climb.

In that Vuelta he managed to hang on to the Wiggo/Froome train, for most of the course. Look at how many riders managed to do that in the past TDF.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

14 Dec 2012 12:25

Gesink aiming for the Giro.............. The Mayans were right, strange things are happening
:D
Red Rick
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,454
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: The Netherlands

14 Dec 2012 12:31

theyoungest wrote:Angliru... yeah there's your typical Tour de France style climb.

In that Vuelta he managed to hang on to the Wiggo/Froome train, for most of the course. Look at how many riders managed to do that in the past TDF.


Talking about dutch riders really throws you off your game. Im not claiming Mollema cant perform at the Tour de France btw but you cant seriously think the Sky train at the Vuelta was anything like what they ended up doing at the Tour?


Red Rick wrote:Gesink aiming for the Giro.............. The Mayans were right, strange things are happening
:D



lol
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,772
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

14 Dec 2012 20:01

auscyclefan94 wrote:There will be a final time trial around Geneva and a supposedly quite decent Mountain stage to the Diablerets ski resort that will feature in the Tour of Romandie. I think there is also a 7.5km prologue.


Morgins and Croix (!) on the stage to Les Diablerets. Cool.

Now it will snow on this stage.

Also a partly uphill prologue.
User avatar roundabout
Senior Member
 
Posts: 11,836
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

14 Dec 2012 20:03

Raboblanco have finally seen the light and sending a top team to the Giro.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

14 Dec 2012 20:45

The Hitch wrote:Talking about dutch riders really throws you off your game. Im not claiming Mollema cant perform at the Tour de France btw but you cant seriously think the Sky train at the Vuelta was anything like what they ended up doing at the Tour?

Responding to Dutchies, that's what removes all reason from your posts.

Mollema isn't exactly my fav rider, but if he reaches his Vuelta 2011 level I think a Tour top-10 isn't out of the question. BTW why should Froome have been lightyears better this year than he was in that Vuelta?
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

14 Dec 2012 20:59

theyoungest wrote:Responding to Dutchies, that's what removes all reason from your posts.


Why, what was wrong with my post? I challenged your assertion that the Sky train that was flying away from Nibali at the Tour was the same beast that couldnt handle Menchov and Cobo at the Vuelta.

Why is that such an unreasanoble side to take?

Mollema isn't exactly my fav rider, but if he reaches his Vuelta 2011 level I think a Tour top-10 isn't out of the question.


Why you telling me this? I made no comment on Mollemas abilities.

BTW why should Froome have been lightyears better this year than he was in that Vuelt


the "Wiggo/Froome train" - your wording, was better in the 2012 Tour because
A they had Rogers and Porte, on the form of their lives
B they had Wiggins on the form of his life preparing his whole season for the race
C Wiggins was not coming back from a collarbone injury
and D Froome had been preparing his season for the race. In 2011, he, if we are to believe him, had come in expecting to be of a little help on the low slopes of mountains
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,772
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

15 Dec 2012 08:36

theyoungest wrote:Angliru... yeah there's your typical Tour de France style climb.

In that Vuelta he managed to hang on to the Wiggo/Froome train, for most of the course. Look at how many riders managed to do that in the past TDF.


Angliru is definitely a "climber's climb," as atypical as it is. It's hard for its entire length, but still pretty irregular in terms of gradients, and plenty long. It's a relevant performance to me to gauge where someone stands as a climber. To me that's relevant for a typical TDF, which does have hard climbs close to the finish line.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

16 Dec 2012 06:05

Pinot's program for 2013:

Grand Prix Cycliste la Marseillaise, Tour Méditerranéen, Tour du Haut-Var, Boucles du Sud-Ardèche, Volta Ciclista a Catalunya, Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco, Tour de Romandie, Bayern Rundfahrt, Tour de Suisse (Schweiz) or Critérium du Dauphiné, Tour de France.

So I guess we'll see Pinot vs Quintana in Catalunya, Pais Vasco and perhaps Dauphiné besides the Tour.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,597
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

16 Dec 2012 06:44

Hugo Koblet wrote:Pinot's program for 2013:


So I guess we'll see Pinot vs Quintana in Catalunya, Pais Vasco and perhaps Dauphiné besides the Tour.


A Preview of the great battles to come in the future:)

That's a good program for Pinot.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,395
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

16 Dec 2012 09:58

Nordhaug's schedule:

Mallorca Challange or Tour of Qatar
Strade Bianche
Tirrieno-Adriatico
Baskerland rundt
Amstel Gold Race
Fleche Wallonne
Liège-Bastogne-Liège
GlavaTour/Tour of California
Sveits rundt/Criterium du Dauphiné
Tour de France

The article says Qatar but I think it should be Oman? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Blanco weren't invited to Qatar, also it would make no sense to send a climber like Nordhaug there! Anyway, good to see that he most likely gets to start his first TDF, but it remains to be seen if he can maintain the form he had at Sky...
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,238
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

16 Dec 2012 10:03

Qatar is just about getting kilometres in the legs... who except Boonen does that race really suit? ;)

But yeah, they're not invited, so that means he'll be riding Mallorca. And apparently they'll do Strade Bianche for the first time. That's a race that should suit Nordhaug, I think. BTW I don't know whether it's smart to let him ride the Tour as his first GT.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

16 Dec 2012 10:15

theyoungest wrote:Qatar is just about getting kilometres in the legs... who except Boonen does that race really suit? ;)

But yeah, they're not invited, so that means he'll be riding Mallorca. And apparently they'll do Strade Bianche for the first time. That's a race that should suit Nordhaug, I think.

True, but in my opinion Qatar is too risky for small climbers. Very nervous racing and lots of crashes. Definitely not worth the risk.

Strade Bianche should suit him perfectly with his MTB background. I remember he was very ambitious for the strade stage in the Giro 2011 but punctured out of the lead group with around 20k to go I think.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,238
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

16 Dec 2012 10:32

maltiv wrote:True, but in my opinion Qatar is too risky for small climbers. Very nervous racing and lots of crashes. Definitely not worth the risk.

Strade Bianche should suit him perfectly with his MTB background. I remember he was very ambitious for the strade stage in the Giro 2011 but punctured out of the lead group with around 20k to go I think.

He rode the Giro? Missed that.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: avanti, DFA123, Geraint Too Fast, Google [Bot], The Blues, togo95 and 45 guests

Back to top