Log in:  

Register

2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

16 Dec 2012 10:38

theyoungest wrote:He rode the Giro? Missed that.

Yes, in 2011, before he was particularly good. He was sick through the entire race though, and was on antibiotics. Still, he was reasonably visible in 2 breakaways, one in which he countered an attack by Betancourt and blew up 2 minutes later :p
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

16 Dec 2012 11:03

maltiv wrote:Yes, in 2011, before he was particularly good. He was sick through the entire race though, and was on antibiotics. Still, he was reasonably visible in 2 breakaways, one in which he countered an attack by Betancourt and blew up 2 minutes later :p

Lol, "before he was particularly good". Bobby Julich really triggered something in him, ey...
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

16 Dec 2012 11:19

theyoungest wrote:Lol, "before he was particularly good". Bobby Julich really triggered something in him, ey...

Yes, but well, it's not like he was Froome-bad...at least he was top 10 in MTF's in Murcia, Poland, Criterium International etc. He clearly improved in 2012, but not to a degree that's unheard of by a 3. year pro. Much of his spring results were only possible due to rain which stopped his allergies, like in Basque country where it rained on every decisive stage, unlike 2011 when he had serious allergy problems (still finished a reasonable 21th in GC though). In Criterium International he went from finishing 7th on the MTF in 2011 to finishing 4th in 2012, so not much difference. The rain saved him in the Ardennes as well.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

16 Dec 2012 11:55

maltiv wrote:Yes, but well, it's not like he was Froome-bad...at least he was top 10 in MTF's in Murcia, Poland, Criterium International etc. He clearly improved in 2012, but not to a degree that's unheard of by a 3. year pro. Much of his spring results were only possible due to rain which stopped his allergies, like in Basque country where it rained on every decisive stage, unlike 2011 when he had serious allergy problems (still finished a reasonable 21th in GC though). In Criterium International he went from finishing 7th on the MTF in 2011 to finishing 4th in 2012, so not much difference. The rain saved him in the Ardennes as well.


So, if the weather this spring is sunny and 20 degrees C like in 2011, we'll probably see the first Blancofail in cycling history. Or has he already had therapy for these allergies, like Dan Martin's had?
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,187
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

16 Dec 2012 12:08

theyoungest wrote:Qatar is just about getting kilometres in the legs... who except Boonen does that race really suit? ;)

But yeah, they're not invited, so that means he'll be riding Mallorca. And apparently they'll do Strade Bianche for the first time. That's a race that should suit Nordhaug, I think. BTW I don't know whether it's smart to let him ride the Tour as his first GT.


I thought the Dutch were "masters of the echelons"? ;)

Admittedly, not your words, but those of DT. Anyway, I've never heard of a race or race conditions that only suits one single rider.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

16 Dec 2012 12:23

Lol, like a dog that responds to the words Boonen or Gilbert, you are. Qatar is pretty much the ideal race for Boonen, suits his characteristics more than anyone else's.

So Nordhaug has allergies? I know Vanmarcke has had a lot of trouble with his achilles heel (literally). And Bobridge has an alcohol problem. Way to go again, Raboblanco ;)
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

16 Dec 2012 12:26

theyoungest wrote:Lol, like a dog that responds to the words Boonen or Gilbert, you are. Qatar is pretty much the ideal race for Boonen, suits his characteristics more than anyone else's.

So Nordhaug has allergies? I know Vanmarcke has had a lot of trouble with his achilles heel (literally). And Bobridge has an alcohol problem. Way to go again, Raboblanco ;)


So does that mean Contador is the only rider in the peloton suited to Grand Tours? ;) I guess what you're trying to say is that he's the best. Yeah he is.

I see you're making up excuses already for a Dutch team, what else is new?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

16 Dec 2012 12:33

Making up excuses? For Qatar, you mean, where they won't take part?

The other thing, of course, referred to their tendency of attracting injury prone foreigners. You seriously have issues with the nation of Holland, BTW. Visit us some time, we're not that bad.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

16 Dec 2012 12:34

theyoungest wrote:Making up excuses? For Qatar, you mean, where they won't take part?

The other thing, of course, referred to their tendency of attracting injury prone foreigners. You seriously have issues with the nation of Holland, BTW. Visit us some time, we're not that bad.


Not at all, it's you I'm having a "problem" with. Already making excuses before the season begins. Could you please wait till they perform or not? :rolleyes:

If there's anyone prone to injuries on Rabobank it's Gesink anyway.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

16 Dec 2012 12:42

He's prone to crashing, that's something else ;)

Maybe if he doesn't crash next year he'll gain himself a nice contract with Astana.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

16 Dec 2012 12:44

theyoungest wrote:He's prone to crashing, that's something else ;)


You included Bobridge's alcohol problems as well though. ;)

- Nordhaug's allergies shouldn't get in the way of him riding a successful season. He did great last year. If you're expecting him to win an Ardennes classic you might be disappointed either way.

- Bobridge's alcohol problem shouldn't get in the way of good results either. Boonen also had an alcohol and drugs problem in 2007-2009.

- Vanmarck's achilles heel is just one problem. You can talk when he's out for 2 years at least.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

16 Dec 2012 12:48

Pentacycle wrote:So, if the weather this spring is sunny and 20 degrees C like in 2011, we'll probably see the first Blancofail in cycling history. Or has he already had therapy for these allergies, like Dan Martin's had?

He's had some treatment but it didn't help that much, so yeah, in those conditions he'll probably be close to useless. In Pais Vasco this year he was actually dropped on a small hill in a sprint stage in which it didn't rain because he couldn't breath, and barely made it back to the peloton. He wouldn't have been close to his 6th place in GC if either one of the decisive stages weren't wet.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

16 Dec 2012 12:56

maltiv wrote:He's had some treatment but it didn't help that much, so yeah, in those conditions he'll probably be close to useless. In Pais Vasco this year he was actually dropped on a small hill in a sprint stage in which it didn't rain because he couldn't breath, and barely made it back to the peloton. He wouldn't have been close to his 6th place in GC if either one of the decisive stages weren't wet.

I thought Norway produced strong, healthy men? Three top level pros, one of them with allergies, the other knocked out for an entire season by a virus, and the third can only eat a steady diet of fluid fish :p
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

17 Dec 2012 11:28

Bob Jungels program for 2012:

Tour Méditerranéen

Tour du Haut Var

Driedaagse van West Vlaanderen

Critérium International

Circuit de la Sarthe

Paris-Roubaix (preselection, 10 riders for 8 spots)

Amstel Gold Race

Flèche Wallonne

Liège-Bastogne-Liège

Tour de Romandie

Tour de Luxembourg

http://www.wort.lu/de/view/team-radioshack-harte-arbeit-unter-perfekten-bedingungen-50ce9c55e4b0ac8268bfed73
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,938
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

17 Dec 2012 11:29

theyoungest wrote:I thought Norway produced strong, healthy men? Three top level pros, one of them with allergies, the other knocked out for an entire season by a virus, and the third can only eat a steady diet of fluid fish :p


Naive with average health.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,360
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

17 Dec 2012 11:31

Christian wrote:Bob Jungels program for 2012:

Tour Méditerranéen

Tour du Haut Var

Driedaagse van West Vlaanderen

Critérium International

Circuit de la Sarthe

Paris-Roubaix (preselection, 10 riders for 8 spots)

Amstel Gold Race

Flèche Wallonne

Liège-Bastogne-Liège

Tour de Romandie

Tour de Luxembourg

http://www.wort.lu/de/view/team-radioshack-harte-arbeit-unter-perfekten-bedingungen-50ce9c55e4b0ac8268bfed73


Pretty serious schedule. Good luck to him.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,360
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

17 Dec 2012 13:49

Now some really important rider - 2013 schedule of Luis Angel Mate:

Tour Med (du 6 au 10 Février)
Paris-Nice (du 4 au 11 Mars)
Tour de Catalogne (du 19 au 25 Mars)
Tour du Pays Basque (du 2 au 7 Avril)
Tour de Castille et Leon (du 13 au 15 Avril)
Ardennes classics
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,705
Joined: 28 Sep 2010 04:32
Location: There there.

17 Dec 2012 17:10

Blanco for the TDU:

4 Aussies (Renshaw, Bobridge, Brown, Tanner) and 3 Dutchies (Slagter, Kelderman, Tjallingii).
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

17 Dec 2012 17:18

theyoungest wrote:Blanco for the TDU:

4 Aussies (Renshaw, Bobridge, Brown, Tanner) and 3 Dutchies (Slagter, Kelderman, Tjallingii).


Should've sent Bos, but I guess Renshaw wants to be leader in his home race. Seems like a decent race for Kelderman to show off some of his potential. 2 hilly stages if I remember correctly, so not just a sprinter fest this time.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

17 Dec 2012 17:26

As strange as it may sound, that race is getting a little too hard for Bos. Only one or two real flat sprint stages.

I think it's more something for Slagter than for Kelderman, actually. I don't know why Wilco will go there.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: capuldemetal, Dazed and Confused, djpbaltimore, Jakob747, Mayomaniac, old.edu, postmanhat, Red Rick, Rollthedice, SafeBet, SemirS, SouthFLpix, TourOfSardinia and 76 guests

Back to top