Log in:  

Register

2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

05 Dec 2012 21:20

theyoungest wrote:Yeah, I'd hate to be Wiggins and win every WT race I started before the Tour...

Cancellara has this strange habit of voicing opinions I somewhat agree with, and then adding total nonsense. The exemption of criticism for Andy is indeed interesting. He's the ultimate "I only care about the Tour" rider.

But I hope he has less bad luck this season. Boonen really needs a worthy opponent.


Wiggins placed 2nd in one and dnf'd another if I'm not mistaken so it wasn't all roses. A stellar season nonetheless.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,847
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

05 Dec 2012 21:21

Dazed and Confused wrote:I think Cancellara is calling out Andy Schleck here, but since they are on the same team this is probably a better way to do it.

Otherwise agree with habit of the frequent nonsense habit.


I doubt he would call out Andy directly or indirectly, at least not intentionally.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,847
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

05 Dec 2012 21:25

Angliru wrote:Wiggins placed 2nd in one and dnf'd another if I'm not mistaken so it wasn't all roses. A stellar season nonetheless.


What sound does clutching at straws make?

Is Algarve a WT race?
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

05 Dec 2012 21:28

Jason_Mercier wrote:I am the only which likes the Quintana's calendar? In Dauphiné he will demonstrate that he must be the leader of the team in Le Tour. Even today is a better climber than Valverde, he only needs to demonstrate that he could be consistent.


Are we all forgetting how young Quintana is? I would think that Movistar management's intention is to bring him along slowly and just let him get acclimated before thrusting the responsibility of leading the team at the Tour on his shoulders. Let Valverde lead the team with Quintana as one of his lieutenants in the mountains, sending him out in breaks on occasion to make their opponents work, all to see how he does over the course of 3 weeks at the Tour. Valverde has still shown that he can now hold it together for 3 weeks, at least in his last 2 showings at the Vuelta (2009 & 2012). No point in rushing Quintana's development. He has a long career ahead of him.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,847
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

05 Dec 2012 21:34

will10 wrote:What sound does clutching at straws make?

Is Algarve a WT race?


I gave him credit for his unprecedented season inspite of my mistake. Lighten up.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,847
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

05 Dec 2012 21:36

Unzue hinted today Quintana will be a leader at Giro.

Don't take any schedule for granted yet.
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,722
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

05 Dec 2012 22:02

Parrulo wrote:i wonder if since both valverde and quintana are riding the tour, if it means costa will skip it to focus on the autumn classics. he hinted he would do that a few months ago

Yeah, the Tour doesn't make much sense if he has to ride as a complete domestique: there are better riders for that job at Movistar specially now with Szmyd and Capechi.

About Sanchez: it was about time! I just hope he doesn't come across with Contador in the first time since 2009 that he puts his nose out of the Tour.

About Quintana: he strikes me as the guy to excel at the Giro even more than Henao perhaps considering he's a more natural climber. Does he stand the cold?

About Andy: it makes sense. He still has the best win on the Ardennes of the last couple of years. Not many guys could have pulled that Liege out of the bag. I hope he mixes it up with Contador in Tirreno.
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,356
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

05 Dec 2012 22:04

Gloin22 wrote:Unzue hinted today Quintana will be a leader at Giro.

Don't take any schedule for granted yet.


That sounds good to me. Can't wait if it's true.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,847
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

05 Dec 2012 22:08

Angliru wrote:I doubt he would call out Andy directly or indirectly, at least not intentionally.


You are probably right.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,000
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

05 Dec 2012 22:20

trevim wrote:Yeah, the Tour doesn't make much sense if he has to ride as a complete domestique: there are better riders for that job at Movistar specially now with Szmyd and Capechi.

About Sanchez: it was about time! I just hope he doesn't come across with Contador in the first time since 2009 that he puts his nose out of the Tour.

About Quintana: he strikes me as the guy to excel at the Giro even more than Henao perhaps considering he's a more natural climber. Does he stand the cold?

About Andy: it makes sense. He still has the best win on the Ardennes of the last couple of years. Not many guys could have pulled that Liege out of the bag. I hope he mixes it up with Contador in Tirreno.


Lombardia
[color="White"].....[/color]
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,001
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 12:00
Location: Prague

05 Dec 2012 22:38

ILovecycling wrote:Lombardia
[color="White"].....[/color]

Good point. 11th was a good result that day.
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,356
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

05 Dec 2012 22:42

Gloin22 wrote:Unzue hinted today Quintana will be a leader at Giro.

Don't take any schedule for granted yet.


no. quintana said he wanted to do the giro. but unzue decides and he has decided
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,266
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

05 Dec 2012 22:44

trevim wrote:Yeah, the Tour doesn't make much sense if he has to ride as a complete domestique: there are better riders for that job at Movistar specially now with Szmyd and Capechi.

About Sanchez: it was about time! I just hope he doesn't come across with Contador in the first time since 2009 that he puts his nose out of the Tour.

About Quintana: he strikes me as the guy to excel at the Giro even more than Henao perhaps considering he's a more natural climber. Does he stand the cold?

About Andy: it makes sense. He still has the best win on the Ardennes of the last couple of years. Not many guys could have pulled that Liege out of the bag. I hope he mixes it up with Contador in Tirreno.

quintana rides well in the cold, as proven in lombardia, the guy is from arcabuco, where tempereatures average 11 degrees the whole year. in fact the beginning of the vuelta this year he suffered from the heat, because he had come back from colombia, where it was so much colder.

henao though is an even better cold/rain rider
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,266
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

05 Dec 2012 22:47

trevim wrote:Good point. 11th was a good result that day.


not just 11th. he was basically the best rider after purito. he was 2nd on the final climb, where only 4 guys were remaining.(4 after purito) purito, quintana, henao, uran and kessiakoff? I think

his 11th place is nothing good results wise. many came back and he finished last in the sprint. but how he raced in the rain and cold and he managed to follow in final downhil in heavy rain. amazing. he amazed me so much this year.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,266
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

05 Dec 2012 23:02

Lol, he wasn't the best rider after Purito. Since when does only climbing matter in a race?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

06 Dec 2012 00:27

El Pistolero wrote:Lol, he wasn't the best rider after Purito. Since when does only climbing matter in a race?


Since the race win was decided on the climbs.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

06 Dec 2012 00:27

Afrank wrote:Since the race win was decided on the climbs.


Then why didn't he come second? ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

06 Dec 2012 00:39

El Pistolero wrote:Then why didn't he come second? ;)


Because the other guys sprinted faster in the end. Climbing is a very important part of a race like Lombardia; and the fact that a 22 year old was able be right up there on the final climb with guys like Sanchez, Uran, Henao, Hesjedal, Contador, Kessiakoff, Pellizotti and others shows he has enormous potential to be a future contender in the classics.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

06 Dec 2012 00:56

Afrank wrote:Because the other guys sprinted faster in the end. Climbing is a very important part of a race like Lombardia; and the fact that a 22 year old was able be right up there on the final climb with guys like Sanchez, Uran, Henao, Hesjedal, Contador, Kessiakoff, Pellizotti and others shows he has enormous potential to be a future contender in the classics.
Does 'others' include the winner? I guess you were just paying attention to Quintana. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,467
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

06 Dec 2012 01:05

cineteq wrote:Does 'others' include the winner? I guess you were just paying attention to Quintana. :D


I didn't include Rodriguez because he beat Quintana (and everyone else) on the climb, and no one was hanging with him when he attacked on the final climb. I was talking more about the guys that Quintana either beat or matched on the climbs.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alcanelo, Arredondo, B.Rasmussen, Bim, blutto, Brullnux, burning, BYOP88, Carols, davebqvst, Dazed and Confused, deValtos, dubexcalibur, dusty red roads, Eagle, el_angliru, fantomas, Fork-in-the-Road, goggalor, Google [Bot], indianfanboy, Jalgratas95, jens_attacks, jilbiker, Lambanna, Lexman, Miburo, nepetalactone, Orbit501, Publicus, qwer, RedFury, Ride to forget, riodouro, robertocarlos, Singer01, spanky wanderlust, Stan955, The Hitch, Yahoo [Bot], zlev11 and 194 guests

Back to top