Log in:  

Register

2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

21 Dec 2012 18:09

the asian wrote:But it also has long stretches of Gravel roads.


so? why would he drop there as long as it doesn't rain or he flats.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

21 Dec 2012 18:11

Ryo Hazuki wrote:so? why would he drop there as long as it doesn't rain or he flats.

he won't (unless he got really bad). He has raced Strade Bianche 3-4 times already and usually did good (he also got a top 10 once).
But, considering he comes from a nasty injury, the Strade Bianche aren't exactly tha safest roads out there.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,973
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

21 Dec 2012 18:12

the asian wrote:But it also has long stretches of Gravel roads.

so??? gravel roads are almost like asphalt unless it's raining.

look at the names in eroica, most of them are very suitable for hilly races. And yes Ballan and Cancellara also have done well but they are also very capable hilly riders besides cobble riders.

But Löfkvist isn't exactly your cobbled king and he won there too, so did LBL winner Iglinsky and so did Kolobnev... :rolleyes:
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,726
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Dec 2012 18:13

Ryo Hazuki wrote:so? why would he drop there as long as it doesn't rain or he flats.


Safety issues really. He has been a Mama's boy before.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,412
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

21 Dec 2012 18:13

LaFlorecita wrote::confused:

He is reffering to contador not wanting to do the Crostis descent in 2011.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,985
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

21 Dec 2012 18:14

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:so??? gravel roads are almost like asphalt unless it's raining.

not really, you have to remain always on the saddle on the climbs and you have less grip on the descents.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,973
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

21 Dec 2012 18:23

The Hitch wrote:He is reffering to contador not wanting to do the Crostis descent in 2011.


And he was the only one of course :rolleyes:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,154
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

21 Dec 2012 19:10

the asian wrote:Safety issues really. He has been a Mama's boy before.


and he's also done this race before and done very well at it
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

21 Dec 2012 19:20

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:so??? gravel roads are almost like asphalt unless it's raining.

look at the names in eroica, most of them are very suitable for hilly races. And yes Ballan and Cancellara also have done well but they are also very capable hilly riders besides cobble riders.

But Löfkvist isn't exactly your cobbled king and he won there too, so did LBL winner Iglinsky and so did Kolobnev... :rolleyes:


Kolobnev won the first edition when the race was held near the end of the season. No one good was there.

Iglinsky has also done a top ten at the Ronde van Vlaanderen and was third in the E3 Prijs Vlaanderen. You could say he was very lucky when he won LBL because all the big guns weren't in good shape, but I don't want to discredit his win. He's a rider capable of riding a top ten in both the Ronde van Vlaanderen and Liège-Bastogne-Liège. But when all the big guns are there in top shape I can't see him win.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

21 Dec 2012 21:20

Ofcourse those riders do well in RVV as well because RVV is more of a hilly kind of race with little cobble effect.

Eroica has even no effect at all. You could just put Valverde there and he'd win or top 3 in good form.
The stupid mythe that gravel roads are somehow similar to cobbles should be broken. It has no effect other than that it looks nice and it sucks when it's wet and muddy
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,726
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Dec 2012 21:23

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Ofcourse those riders do well in RVV as well because RVV is more of a hilly kind of race with little cobble effect.

Eroica has even no effect at all. You could just put Valverde there and he'd win or top 3 in good form.
The stupid mythe that gravel roads are somehow similar to cobbles should be broken. It has no effect other than that it looks nice and it sucks when it's wet and muddy


It's not similar to asphalt either lol. No one said it was just like cobbles, no one that's ridden over it at least. And I've read most post-race interviews of Strade Bianche.

Cobbles have a big effect in Flanders. A guy like Bettini always got dropped on the Flemish hills during the final despite his big wish to win the Ronde.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

21 Dec 2012 21:37

I agree partly, SOME cobbles have effect in Flanders, especially the ones who lay very badly, and on the Muur. But definately not all, some are just like a highway.

And in Eroica I really doubt it has any effect, sorry to say
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,726
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Dec 2012 22:59

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I agree partly, SOME cobbles have effect in Flanders, especially the ones who lay very badly, and on the Muur. But definately not all, some are just like a highway.

And in Eroica I really doubt it has any effect, sorry to say


tour of flanders is 90% placing before the hills and 10 % hilly skills. basically an agr only with less strong field
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

21 Dec 2012 23:11

Ryo Hazuki wrote:tour of flanders is 90% placing before the hills and 10 % hilly skills. basically an agr only with less strong field


Yet the top 10 of Flanders is stronger than the top 10 of the bad beer race. :o

If you had any knowledge of cycling you'd know that in the Ronde van Vlaanderen the last hill is around 12km from the finish line while the AGR ends on the Cauberg. Never mind that the hills are of different length and steepness. Oh and they're cobbled. I take it you've never ridden over the Oude Kwaremont if you think it's the same as the Cauberg.

Or you know, the Paterberg which is a totally different hill than the final hills in AGR. Only 400 meters long, but very steep. Takes a different kind of rider. ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

21 Dec 2012 23:44

cobbled climbs are hard as an amateur yes. but these are pro's that go over them twice as hard. for them it matters not much.

also your statement about top ten of flanders being better than agr couldn't be more off. just look at past 10 years and almost every year the agr has way better(higher ranked) riders in the top ten. those are facts
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

22 Dec 2012 00:00

Ryo Hazuki wrote:cobbled climbs are hard as an amateur yes. but these are pro's that go over them twice as hard. for them it matters not much.

also your statement about top ten of flanders being better than agr couldn't be more off. just look at past 10 years and almost every year the agr has way better(higher ranked) riders in the top ten. those are facts


Facts that you made up apparently. I however I'm more impressed by the winners of the Ronde van Vlaanderen than those of the AGR. :o

So if the Ronde and AGR are basically the same race, but AGR has stronger competition... Explain me how Gilbert can win the AGR with two fingers in his nose, but hasn't won the Ronde van Vlaanderen so far? ;)

Cobbled hills become easier when you are pro, but normal hills not? Great logic, keep going.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

22 Dec 2012 09:47

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:And in Eroica I really doubt it has any effect, sorry to say

It definitely does have an effect. You have to use a lot of energy at just staying upright and keeping your position, so those who are experienced in such save a lot of energy compared to nervous climbers. It's no coincidence that former MTB-rider Löfkvist, who's a very mediocre hilly-classics rider, has been 1st and 2nd on two attempts in Strade Bianche.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,272
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

22 Dec 2012 10:02

maltiv wrote:It definitely does have an effect. You have to use a lot of energy at just staying upright and keeping your position, so those who are experienced in such save a lot of energy compared to nervous climbers. It's no coincidence that former MTB-rider Löfkvist, who's a very mediocre hilly-classics rider, has been 1st and 2nd on two attempts in Strade Bianche.


that's why he won emillia in the past :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

22 Dec 2012 10:09

El Pistolero wrote:Facts that you made up apparently. I however I'm more impressed by the winners of the Ronde van Vlaanderen than those of the AGR. :o

So if the Ronde and AGR are basically the same race, but AGR has stronger competition... Explain me how Gilbert can win the AGR with two fingers in his nose, but hasn't won the Ronde van Vlaanderen so far? ;)

Cobbled hills become easier when you are pro, but normal hills not? Great logic, keep going.


Gilbert could have won RvV in 2011, if the finish would've been a few kms after the Bosberg. The Ronde doesn't necessarily reward the strongest rider,
the AGR does that more often with the Cauberg-finish. Gilbert is often the strongest (cobbled) hilly rider, without getting the win.

And AGR having a better field is a simple fact, most of the riders who did the Ronde are there, plus a lot of climbers who never ride the cobbles.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,177
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

22 Dec 2012 10:28

Ryo Hazuki wrote:that's why he won emillia in the past :rolleyes:

Lol. Two things are very funny about this post.

1. Löfkvist didn't win Emilia, he got 3d behind Robert Gesink
2. By this same logic, Gesink is a great hilly classics rider

I never thought you'd say that ;)
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MikeTichondrius, skidmark, woodburn and 22 guests

Back to top