Log in:  

Register

2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

11 Jan 2013 12:31

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Joaquim Rodriguez.

Rodriguez got shelled in the echelons before the climb even started. But nice try.

Gesink's main opponent on the climb was natural climber E. Boasson Hagen.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

11 Jan 2013 12:55

The Hitch wrote:Source that valverde isn't doing pn? :rolleyes:


valverde never rides in italy :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

11 Jan 2013 12:56

theyoungest wrote:No, he simply was the only good climber around.


still he peaked for that. he even admitted so himself
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

11 Jan 2013 12:56

roundabout wrote:Bah, a top-15.


Eshnar wrote:yes, very ambitious :D


Dazed and Confused wrote:so whats next?
Finishing the race or how about getting on the startlist.
Pathetic.


Well, since he is yet to finish a GT without collapsing on one stage or another it would be a bit presumptuous to set a very high goal. Also keep in mind that he is swedish so being understated and unassuming is part of the mentality.
ingsve: Winner of the 2011 CQ Ranking Manager Game.

“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it” - Max Planck
User avatar ingsve
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,077
Joined: 12 Mar 2009 22:52
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

11 Jan 2013 13:00

theyoungest wrote:Rodriguez got shelled in the echelons before the climb even started. But nice try.

Gesink's main opponent on the climb was natural climber E. Boasson Hagen.


Purito was not on form, so it wouldn't have mattered. Your point is moot.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

11 Jan 2013 13:12

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Purito was not on form, so it wouldn't have mattered. Your point is moot.

I say he won because he was the only decent climber around, you mention a climber who wasn't around, and my point is moot...

Ryo Hazuki wrote:still he peaked for that. he even admitted so himself

Yes, he wanted to win for his father, but he hadn't had the best of winters. If you peak for a race you don't ride it as your first race of the season.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

11 Jan 2013 13:23

theyoungest wrote:I say he won because he was the only decent climber around, you mention a climber who wasn't around, and my point is moot...


Yes, he wanted to win for his father, but he hadn't had the best of winters. If you peak for a race you don't ride it as your first race of the season.


Did the race start on Green Mountain? You're hilarious when it comes to Gesink. Purito was around, but got dropped on the flat because his form was ****. It's pretty damn obvious to me that Gesink was as good in that race as in any other that year and it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if he starts the 2013 season very strong, either. (and then fails to get a top-5 in the Giro)
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

11 Jan 2013 13:27

Purito is rarely great in his first race anyway. Last year he was back with the rouleurs.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,755
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

11 Jan 2013 13:44

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Did the race start on Green Mountain? You're hilarious when it comes to Gesink. Purito was around, but got dropped on the flat because his form was ****. It's pretty damn obvious to me that Gesink was as good in that race as in any other that year and it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if he starts the 2013 season very strong, either. (and then fails to get a top-5 in the Giro)

My only point was that he didn't need great form to win there, as he was the only climber there. On the actual climb. And no, I don't think he needed great form not to get dropped on the flat along with Purito. And no, I don't think it was obvious he was as good there as anywhere else, as (he said so himself) those were his first few kilometers in the red for the year.

As for the Giro: considering he almost got a top-5 in the Vuelta with less than great form, I'm postponing judgement on that one.

Ferminal wrote:Purito is rarely great in his first race anyway. Last year he was back with the rouleurs.

You're absolutely right, but my point wasn't about Purito at all. 18-Valve introduced him into the discussion.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

11 Jan 2013 14:18

Ryo Hazuki wrote:valverde never rides in italy :rolleyes:


Paris Nice goes through Italy now?:rolleyes:
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,756
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

11 Jan 2013 14:39

The Hitch wrote:Paris Nice goes through Italy now?:rolleyes:


I didn't know :)
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

11 Jan 2013 14:40

theyoungest wrote:My only point was that he didn't need great form to win there, as he was the only climber there. On the actual climb. And no, I don't think he needed great form not to get dropped on the flat along with Purito. And no, I don't think it was obvious he was as good there as anywhere else, as (he said so himself) those were his first few kilometers in the red for the year.

As for the Giro: considering he almost got a top-5 in the Vuelta with less than great form, I'm postponing judgement on that one.


You're absolutely right, but my point wasn't about Purito at all. 18-Valve introduced him into the discussion.


He also easily won the ITT against several noted (superior) time trialists. He obviously had very good form. Much like Leipheimer last year... great early season form. It happens.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

11 Jan 2013 14:48

Was anything disclosed about Valverde's schedule at the Movistar presentation?
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,395
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

11 Jan 2013 14:58

the asian wrote:Was anything disclosed about Valverde's schedule at the Movistar presentation?


Bici has this listed:

Mallorca
Andalucia
Murcia
Clasica de Almeria

Catalunya or Pais Vasco

Ardennes classics

Tour
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

12 Jan 2013 12:44

Philippe Gilbert:

Tour Down Under
Tour of Oman
Paris-Nice

Most likely no Omloop het Nieuwsblad.

Bit disappointed with this especially because Phil has never been good in Paris-Nice... Hasn't made any plans yet after LBL. Ardennes classics will be his main goal and while MSR and RvV are also big goals he wants to be at his best for the Ardennes classics again. He also says he wants to be a bit better for the RvV than for MSR.

He also said he is more complete than Michele Bartoli and Paolo Bettini.

He'll be helping Tejay van Gardenen at Paris-Nice. Which is a shame again if you ask me. Also said if he'll do the Tour it will be to help Cadel Evans and Tejay van Gardenen. So I hope he skips it.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

12 Jan 2013 12:53

El Pistolero wrote:Philippe Gilbert:

Tour Down Under
Tour of Oman
Paris-Nice

Most likely no Omloop het Nieuwsblad.

Bit disappointed with this especially because Phil has never been good in Paris-Nice... Hasn't made any plans yet after LBL. Ardennes classics will be his main goal and while MSR and RvV are also big goals he wants to be at his best for the Ardennes classics again.

He also said he is more complete than Michele Bartoli and Paolo Bettini.


Very strange idd, he's never even won a stage there, and in his only decent participation he immediately won a stage.
Maybe he's planning to go for the win in P-N with the weak field this year. He or one of his his DS's said last year that his climbing was at a level where he could win races like that.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,129
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

12 Jan 2013 13:53

Pentacycle wrote:Very strange idd, he's never even won a stage there, and in his only decent participation he immediately won a stage.
Maybe he's planning to go for the win in P-N with the weak field this year. He or one of his his DS's said last year that his climbing was at a level where he could win races like that.

Nah, he can't. He can climb a bit, but will he outclimb his teammate Van Garderen, for instance? Who is also a better time trialist.

Tirreno suits him much more, and is also better classics prep. Strange decision.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

12 Jan 2013 14:02

theyoungest wrote:Nah, he can't. He can climb a bit, but will he outclimb his teammate Van Garderen, for instance? Who is also a better time trialist.

Tirreno suits him much more, and is also better classics prep. Strange decision.


The team decided to send him to P-N to help Van Garderen. Haven't checked the route of this year's P-N, but on a tame route he could win I suppose. But even Mende would already be too hard of a climb for him. Phil didn't care whether he did T-A or P-N, so he let the team decide. Evans will be leader at T-A. He also said Gossie busted the myth that you need to ride T-A to win M-SR. I wouldn't call T-A a better classics prep by the way. A lot of the cobbled classic guys ride P-N. Boonen did Paris-Nice in his successful 2005-2006 seasons and again in 2012. It depends on the rider mostly. Tejay van Garderen and Phil get along very well together, so not all that strange if you know that. I'd rather see him ride for him self of course. :)

From the team's perspective it makes sense. With Evans they have a shot at winning T-A and with Van Garderen they can win Paris-Nice. Phil would be a super-domestique for the latter. And with the weak field, Van Garderen might just win his very first big race.

I hope he'll ride Strade Bianche though. He's not doing the Omloop het Nieuwsblad because he doesn't have enough time to recover from the Tour of Oman.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

12 Jan 2013 14:18

This would be the first time that Gilbert would change his schedule because he needs to ride for someone.

I don't believe that, like Gilbert cares about that.

He prob does it because he knows Contador will be in T-A and he'll win nothing there, jk:D

Seriously, maybe because the field is too strong on T-A to even go for a stage win orso. Meh have no idea.
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,408
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

12 Jan 2013 14:22

Miburo wrote:This would be the first time that Gilbert would change his schedule because he needs to ride for someone.

I don't believe that, like Gilbert cares about that.

He prob does it because he knows Contador will be in T-A and he'll win nothing there, jk:D

Seriously, maybe because the field is too strong on T-A to even go for a stage win orso. Meh have no idea.


One wonders how Phil won the WC RR, 3 Monuments, 6 classics(P-T, F-W, AGR and CSS) and GT stages in all 3 Grand Tours. :rolleyes:
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, Buffalo Soldier, elfed68, Google [Bot], meat puppet, nuvolablu, Waterloo Sunrise and 30 guests

Back to top