Register

The third men of Belgian cycling

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Dec 2012 05:48

jens_attacks wrote:the third man...el pistolero, no doubt

Amen, jojo for the win.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

06 Dec 2012 08:44

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Yep, for one-day races it's between Leukemans and Van Avermaet right now. I rate consistency and versatility higher than "lucky" Monument wins, though.

Vanmarcke was up there in a lot of cobbled races last 2 years... I rate consistency high too, but consistenty in riding for the win. Not consistency like Vdb or Leukemans: they are there in the final but aren't close to winning. I'd rather have a rider being 8th and did everything he can to try to win then classic riders like Hoste, Schlecks or Leukemans who cooperate with Gilbert to the finish line without any tactics. Those guys are happy with placings, so they aren't champions in my opinion.

The 3rd is between van Avermaet and De Gendt.
Matthijs

06 Dec 2012 20:42

Iljo Kiesse has no equal on the boards and he is rapidly becoming a force on the road too. he has more potential than anyone mentioned so far

long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

06 Dec 2012 22:34

Why do you think that? Apart from six day racing, he didn't proof that much?
User avatar Buffalo Soldier

07 Dec 2012 00:09

CobbleStoner wrote:Iljo Kiesse has no equal on the boards and he is rapidly becoming a force on the road too. he has more potential than anyone mentioned so far

+1, From here on out, I hope Keisse continues his good performance both on the track and road.

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Why do you think that? Apart from six day racing, he didn't proof that much?

He won a lot of fans in the Tour of Turkey, and IMHO he showed great strength and fortitude in how he won.
User avatar Afrank

07 Dec 2012 01:03

CobbleStoner wrote:Iljo Kiesse has no equal on the boards and he is rapidly becoming a force on the road too. he has more potential than anyone mentioned so far

Can we talk about potential at 30 years of age?
User avatar serfla

07 Dec 2012 01:16

Afrank wrote:He won a lot of fans in the Tour of Turkey, and IMHO he showed great strength and fortitude in how he won.
Including me. He also showed a lot a concentration on that stage. Looking forward to seeing this guy next year. :) Although, I'm not sure if he's the illusive 3rd man of Belgian Cycling. I think it's the guy who ended up 3rd (as fate would have it) in 2012 Giro.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

07 Dec 2012 08:42

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Why do you think that? Apart from six day racing, he didn't proof that much?

I say it half because I love watching him race, and think the Gent 6 is the most important (and best) race of the year, but also because he has a really good sprint and he knows how to suffer hard at the end of a long race. of course he will never be a stage race threat, but realistically, neither are the other '3rd' men of Belgian cycling.
history will also show that he will have more rainbow jerseys, world's podiums, and probably overall victories than anyone else mentioned so far
long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

07 Dec 2012 12:09

Until now he has 0 Rainbow Jerseys, and I don't see him changing that. He's 3 years older than GVA, 4 years than De Gendt, and even 6 years older than Vanmarcke.

He has the same age as Philippe Gilbert! And you're talking about potential?
User avatar Buffalo Soldier

07 Dec 2012 13:38

CobbleStoner wrote:I say it half because I love watching him race, and think the Gent 6 is the most important (and best) race of the year, but also because he has a really good sprint and he knows how to suffer hard at the end of a long race. of course he will never be a stage race threat, but realistically, neither are the other '3rd' men of Belgian cycling.
history will also show that he will have more rainbow jerseys, world's podiums, and probably overall victories than anyone else mentioned so far

Well, then...
What tells you that?
User avatar serfla

08 Dec 2012 13:49

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Until now he has 0 Rainbow Jerseys, and I don't see him changing that. He's 3 years older than GVA, 4 years than De Gendt, and even 6 years older than Vanmarcke.

He has the same age as Philippe Gilbert! And you're talking about potential?

I can see Iljo win a rainbow jersey on the track :p
How many seasons did Keisse ride on the road?
Matthijs

08 Dec 2012 15:01

Matthijs wrote:I can see Iljo win a rainbow jersey on the track :p
How many seasons did Keisse ride on the road?

Apparently Keisse was already 3rd in KBK 2007, so I doubt if he can still progress on the road. He should be a valuable part of the classics team, but you can't realistically expect more.
User avatar Pentacycle

08 Dec 2012 16:32

potential at 30 years of age is definately possible
erik dekker took until 30y to win really big things

rodriguez a bit earlier but also still late in his career the jump from subtop to star...
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

08 Dec 2012 21:53

Currently i'd go with De Gendt.
Vanmarcke and GVA both have the potential to be monument winners though.

If you take career-wise out of those who are still active, will have to go with Devolder for his two lucky Ronde wins.
User avatar the asian

09 Dec 2012 12:52

Devolders wins in the Ronde weren't lucky, they were smart and tactical. It's not like there is a dozen riders who could have easily pulled off the same, had they been Boonen's teammate.

And I think we all know where Dekker got his sudden potential at 30.
Praetor

09 Dec 2012 13:01

Given that Erik Dekker's hematocrit case was earlier, no I don't know where he got that sudden potential at age 30. The phenomenon of the late bloomer doesn't necessarily have something to do with clinic issues.
theyoungest

09 Dec 2012 13:04

theyoungest wrote:Given that Erik Dekker's hematocrit case was earlier, no I don't know where he got that sudden potential at age 30. The phenomenon of the late bloomer doesn't necessarily have something to do with clinic issues.

Scarponi also improved after his doping case.

;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

09 Dec 2012 17:45

So you agree with me? Pretty rare.
theyoungest

09 Dec 2012 17:50

theyoungest wrote:So you agree with me? Pretty rare.

I thought you knew about his Ferrari visit. But I don't necessarily disagree with what you said. He most likely doped for most of his career, but that doesn't exclude the fact that he could've been a late bloomer. Was fighting with mostly equal weapons anyway.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

09 Dec 2012 18:28

Praetor wrote:Devolders wins in the Ronde weren't lucky, they were smart and tactical. It's not like there is a dozen riders who could have easily pulled off the same, had they been Boonen's teammate.

He was lucky to be in that position, though. Extremely lucky. They were strong efforts, but we all know he would have won exactly zero times had he not been Boonen's teammate. At least Nuyens battled it out with the top guys.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing