The third men of Belgian cycling

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

11 Dec 2012 16:43

Dekker E. turned pro in Raas's teams. He's not a late bloomer, he already was seen as an up-and-coming talent. I very well remember his days with Word Perfect. He also was a good flyers under the red flame. Some sort of a Jelle Nijdam/Willy Teirlinck (kind of riders that I really love ;))

Only you've gotta remember what Van Hooydonck said about Raas's teams. No EPO.

EVH retired in March 1996, disgusted and one year later, the UCI implemented its first blood tests. Everything changed and all of sudden (Raas's) Rabobank started winning again... :p

12 Dec 2012 18:23

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:He was lucky to be in that position, though. Extremely lucky. They were strong efforts, but we all know he would have won exactly zero times had he not been Boonen's teammate. At least Nuyens battled it out with the top guys.

With Devolder in another team, Boonen still had Pipo 'the shadow' on his wheel. Devolder could almost as easily use their rivalry as he used the fact that he was teammate of Boonen. Getting away would be a little bit harder, but if he really wanted it, I wonder if Pipo and Boonen really would have chased them with more then 30k to go. Devolder attacked early both times remember.
However, Boonen would have chased him from 20k or something. What happened in that scenario, no one knows. I think Devolder, who was at least the 3rd strongest man in the race both years, used very good tactics and was at least one of the strongest.
The same goes for Nuyens. He was at least one of the best in the race. Racers who maybe where stronger (Chavanel, Cancellara) used lesser tactics so a very derserved win. Other riders couldn't make the jump on the flat to Meerbeke.

12 Dec 2012 18:39

2008 Ronde van Vlaanderen was Devolder's masterpiece in an epic race.
User avatar serfla

Return to Professional road racing