Log in:  

Register

The most spetacular hunger knocks

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Dec 2012 19:55

i don't think cancellara had a proper hunger knock, if what happened to him is classified as an hunger knock then nibali also had one at this years lbl and another one at last years GdL.

they just overestimated their strength imo
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,194
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

06 Dec 2012 20:04

Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:In my eyes that's all pure speculation. A lot of those "hunger knocks" are as likely cheap excuses for clinic stuff - or bad preparation (in a non-medical sense). But of course riders/d.s. will always claim that it was a "hunger knock".

And Xorret de Cati is just a terribly hard climb. Fabio Roscioli in 1999 sucked even worse than Taaramae and nearly rode backwards. That was some of the strangest things I've ever seen in cycling.


Agree with this. Contador tried using the hunger knock one on the Galbier stage when he was clearly suffering all day. Its better to say they forgot to eat than that they had an off day. Hunger knock gets you all of a sudden.

Taaramae just cracked, which is completely different.
uphillstruggle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 543
Joined: 19 Jun 2009 19:31

06 Dec 2012 20:31

El Pistolero wrote:Dehydration and not enough sugars. What's the first thing someone does when he had a hunger knock? Drink a coke. He was begging for bottles of other teams, it was on TV. Everyone saw it.

Everyone saw how he was begging everywere for some foods, even with other teams. A more clear example of a hunger knocks doesn't exist
User avatar Buffalo Soldier
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,159
Joined: 11 Apr 2009 23:19
Location: Belgium

06 Dec 2012 20:32

Parrulo wrote:well the thread seems to be doing well enough without clinic matters with some nice discussion imo.


Funny I remember an Armstrong triathlon thread where we were harmlessly discussing how ex cycling pros managed in marathon and triathlon. That thread also seemed to be doing well enough without clinic matters with some nice discussion.

Then a moderator called, parullo, stepped in, deleted it because
Then who are we kidding here? We all know where any lance armstrong thread will head as soon as we see the tittle so why would i let the thread stay on the road section

hmmm:rolleyes:

Honores mutant mores i guess.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,959
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

06 Dec 2012 21:52

Cadel Evans (in his Mapei days), stage 17 2002 Giro-- bonks wearing pink jersey which he only got day before. Loses 17' and Savoldelli took the jersey.
User avatar BeachBum
Junior Member
 
Posts: 223
Joined: 07 Jul 2009 18:32
Location: on the beach

06 Dec 2012 22:13

BeachBum wrote:Cadel Evans (in his Mapei days), stage 17 2002 Giro-- bonks wearing pink jersey which he only got day before. Loses 17' and Savoldelli took the jersey.


That was just Evans one of his bad days ;)
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,915
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

06 Dec 2012 23:07

search wrote:no idea if it was hunger knock or if he was sick or something like that, but the images are spectacular

Stijn Devolder / Vuelta a Espana 2011 - Stage 3: Alto de la Santa (Cat. 3)

I seem to remember that it was a gearing problem. Still, with Devolder we can't be sure :)
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,389
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

07 Dec 2012 01:09

Jose Manuel Fuentes in most of his GT's.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,264
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

07 Dec 2012 10:36

I think I remember Andy having a pretty good hunger knock in 2007 Tour and also Armstrong in I think 2003 Tour when he beat Ullrich by a minute or so on GC. From what I remember he did not drink enough and was dehydrated as well on what was a really hot day.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,842
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

07 Dec 2012 10:48

movingtarget wrote:I think I remember Andy having a pretty good hunger knock in 2007 Tour and also Armstrong in I think 2003 Tour when he beat Ullrich by a minute or so on GC. From what I remember he did not drink enough and was dehydrated as well on what was a really hot day.


Andy was in 2008 on the stage to Hautacam, where Voight dropped Piti on Tourmalet and Canc fell back from the BotD to drill it on the downhill.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,452
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

07 Dec 2012 10:57

jens_attacks wrote:170 riders of the peloton on poggio 2013, milan-san remo. all of them couldn't even put it in the big ring

here it is. i saved the day.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SOn6RQI87-A#t=3017s

passo coe 2002, authentic pajarones gallore. poor cadel and frigo. 2002 wasn't such a funny year.


I can't believe it took 25 posts to mention this incident. Evans on the Passo Coe was one of the most memorable and dramatic examples.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,326
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

07 Dec 2012 15:09

Hunger knocks are when your body runs out of carbs - your body can only gets its fuel from your fat, not to be confused with anearobic debt - which will happen when you go to fast up a mountain.
del1962
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,359
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

07 Dec 2012 22:17

Roman Kreuziger, Giro d'Italia 2012 st. 17. See 2:11:30; 2:13:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyTgxeGNWNU
User avatar plooton
Junior Member
 
Posts: 231
Joined: 15 Jan 2011 09:34
Location: Czech Rep.

07 Dec 2012 23:31

plooton wrote:Roman Kreuziger, Giro d'Italia 2012 st. 17. See 2:11:30; 2:13:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyTgxeGNWNU

Someone who hasn't got the new "Kreuziger is a crappy rider" fever that has been going on since that day. It was just a bad day, not his regular level. Welcome aboard :)
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,389
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

07 Dec 2012 23:56

trevim wrote:Someone who hasn't got the new "Kreuziger is a crappy rider" fever that has been going on since that day. It was just a bad day, not his regular level. Welcome aboard :)


indeed, i very much liked his response the next day to every1 particularly martinelli with attacking on the second to last climb, catching the break and taking the win solo.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,194
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

08 Dec 2012 23:18

Indurain in Valico Sta Cristina, Giro 1994

Landis, Toussuire 2006
apmfbs
Junior Member
 
Posts: 178
Joined: 16 Oct 2011 10:39

09 Dec 2012 12:09

Parrulo wrote:indeed, i very much liked his response the next day to every1 particularly martinelli with attacking on the second to last climb, catching the break and taking the win solo.


And that's exactly why Kreuziger will stuggle to win or podium a grand tour, his lack of consistency, even the though the stage win in the Giro was a very good one.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,842
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

10 Dec 2012 01:08

Probably not the most spectacular but McEwan had a shocker one one of the TDF mountain stages. I'll have to pull out his book to see when but make an wonderful read of what it is like when you are totally spent.
User avatar Tigerion
Junior Member
 
Posts: 409
Joined: 21 Jul 2011 03:23

10 Dec 2012 01:22

movingtarget wrote:And that's exactly why Kreuziger will stuggle to win or podium a grand tour, his lack of consistency, even the though the stage win in the Giro was a very good one.


an hungerknock is not lack of consistency. . . is just what happens when a cyclists forgets to eat properly. what causes such spectacular crack in performance is that since cyclists have very low % of fat they have no backup energy stored so when they run out of energy extracted from food with no backup energy and since it takes a while to digest new food they simply bonk completely. so an hungerknock is more lack of experience (kreuziguer is only 26 let's not forget) then consistency. also you usually are fully recovered from an hungerknock the very next day which kreuziguer proved with his stage win. in case you doubt that you recover in time for the next stage from an hungerknock, the one who said it was perico delgado( on famous contador PN stage) and imo he is a pretty reliable source.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,194
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

10 Dec 2012 02:05

Tigerion wrote:Probably not the most spectacular but McEwan had a shocker one one of the TDF mountain stages. I'll have to pull out his book to see when but make an wonderful read of what it is like when you are totally spent.


I think you are referring to either 2004, where he crashed three times going into the Pyrenees or 2010, where he had a crash and later on was hit by a media person. Tbh, I think you are referring to the 2010 incident and that was to do with injury, not hunger knock.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,326
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 53x11 in DC, Asero831, seedupd, slim charles, staubsauger and 26 guests

Back to top