Register

Tour de San Luis (2.1) Januari 21-27 (11 WT / 27 teams total)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

21 Jan 2013 20:27

Alberto Contador ganador de la tappa:D. Epic radio fail:o
User avatar CraZyCaLL

21 Jan 2013 20:27

In post-race interview Cav says he's in negotiations to transfer the administration of isle of man to argentina.
cocteau_ireland

21 Jan 2013 20:28

Cavendish may be expensive and dependent of the team but he certainly delivers. 20 wins assured for Quickstep ;)
User avatar trevim

21 Jan 2013 20:29

The slow motion, action replays are particularly impressive.:o
Cavendish looks like a middle aged fat guy, but he speaks v good Spanish.
Mellow Velo

21 Jan 2013 20:29

skidmark wrote:Wow, Hushovd's best finish since the 2011 TdF pretty much

He won in the Tour of Britain that year. Still nice to see him back.
User avatar trevim

21 Jan 2013 20:32

After a steady build to the mainstream, i'm intrigued to see what sort of coverage this gets - more or less guarenteed a side bar story on the BBC sport website, but may get a decent slot in the papers too.
Waterloo Sunrise

21 Jan 2013 20:38

Mellow Velo wrote:My nephew has lived and worked there for almost 20 years.
Their economy is a complete disaster.
Massive inflation.
The only thing with growth are their vines.

I guess that was some time ago. their are many italians currently going to argentina, because it's not a mass, but italy is. inflation is also bad in europe.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

21 Jan 2013 20:40

where there echelons? I couldn't see the final part of the stage. how big was the group?
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

21 Jan 2013 20:56

big as far as i could see, guess just a few guys that were not in the peleton.
User avatar Ruudz0r

21 Jan 2013 21:04

skidmark wrote:Wow, Hushovd's best finish since the 2011 TdF pretty much

Let's not forget that he was 6th on a Giro stage and 5th in a P-N stage last year! :p

But seriously, encouraging to see that he has some form at least. In his last race last year, Tour of Poland, he couldn't even keep up with the peloton on the flat, so this is seemingly a great improvement. I expect him to suck on the hilly stages though, as Hushovd, even when healthy, always has been horrible in his first race of the season.
maltiv

21 Jan 2013 21:29

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I guess that was some time ago. their are many italians currently going to argentina, because it's not a mass, but italy is. inflation is also bad in europe.

The inflation is very low in Europe atm and the president of Argentina is a total shambles who refuses to pay their debts. I'm sorry but Argentina is chaos at the moment concerning government and economy.
I like cyclists dressed in orange.
User avatar hoerpi

21 Jan 2013 22:21

Gloin22

21 Jan 2013 22:22

Leigh Howards account of Stage 1.

In His Own Words: Leigh Howard on Tour de San Luis Stage 1
Leigh Howard has openly stated his ambitions for the Tour de San Luis. He is in Argentina chasing a stage win. He showed that his form is strong and his goals are within reach on the opening day of the seven day race. In his own words, he describes the racing action between the stage start in San Luis and the bunch sprint in Villa Mercedes.

Basically, the day was an early break and then a bunch sprint. Eight riders went away, and there were no big teams represented, so we weren’t too stressed. We let other teams do the chase work. We had a tailwind nearly the entire time we raced, so it made for a very easy day in the bunch.

The build-up to the sprint during the last 30 kilometres was hectic, and the last 10 kilometres was borderline crazy. There were several nasty corners on the run into town.

I had the boys looking after me, and they did a really good job. Mitch Docker, Svein Tuft and Michael Albasini helped me up to the front, and Mitch did the final lead out. He dropped me off at about 500 metres to go. I think I was on Alessandro Petacchi’s (Lampre-Merida) wheel after that. Unfortunately, I was pushed into the wind for a bit – only for a few seconds – but it was enough to take the edge off in the final sprint. Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma QuickStep) won ahead of Sacha Modolo (Bardiani CSF Inox). Petacchi rounded out the podium. Although I’m happy with fourth, I definitely hope I can go get on the podium tomorrow.

I’m still contending with a bit of jetlag, and I definitely didn’t feel anything more than average today. I certainly expect to get better in the coming days. Mitch and I had a long flight from Australia to Argentina. With over 50 hours of travel and a gigantic time difference, it’s hard not to be a little impacted. I suspect most of the peloton is and that we’ll all come better in the next day or two.

This is my first time in Argentina – my first time in South America, actually – and it’s been a really nice experience so far. It’s a different world than what I’m accustomed to – and it’s a bit of an eye-opener in that regard. It always good to see other parts of the world, so I’m happy to be here.

Stage two looks set to be another bunch sprint. We’ll give it a nudge and see how we go.
Wilba60

21 Jan 2013 22:25

Wilba60

21 Jan 2013 22:28

hoerpi wrote:The inflation is very low in Europe atm and the president of Argentina is a total shambles who refuses to pay their debts. I'm sorry but Argentina is chaos at the moment concerning government and economy.

There are very good reasons to leave Europe at the moment. Apart from Japan, I can't think of a region with worse prospects. However, my choice wouldn't be Argentina, it would be Chile or if I were Italian Uruguay.
User avatar Arnout

22 Jan 2013 12:28

man, the organizers are missing a great opportunity by not providing live video. They could pick up most European cycling fans in front of the TV between 8-10pm CET. One of the best timeslots for sports fans. Maybe next year on Eurosport please.
Dazed and Confused

22 Jan 2013 12:43

Dazed and Confused wrote:man, the organizers are missing a great opportunity by not providing live video. They could pick up most European cycling fans in front of the TV between 8-10pm CET. One of the best timeslots for sports fans. Maybe next year on Eurosport please.

Exactly. Would be perfect, and no doubt if the likes of this field, would have attracted plenty of viewers too..

The brief Live coverage of the finish was hilarious though.
User avatar Andy99

22 Jan 2013 14:18

Dazed and Confused wrote:man, the organizers are missing a great opportunity by not providing live video. They could pick up most European cycling fans in front of the TV between 8-10pm CET. One of the best timeslots for sports fans. Maybe next year on Eurosport please.

they broadcast live the mountain finishes, they did before all the time
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

22 Jan 2013 14:52

Ryo Hazuki wrote:they broadcast live the mountain finishes, they did before all the time

The stuff they produced last year would not fly on an international channel live. Better production needed (more investment essentially). It would pay off imo.
Dazed and Confused

22 Jan 2013 15:05

Dazed and Confused wrote:The stuff they produced last year would not fly on an international channel live. Better production needed (more investment essentially). It would pay off imo.

last year was orrible the live coverage... there was a fixed camera on the top of the mountain that was trying to follow the riders from the bottom... and of course sometimes they were lost behind a tree or a strange corner...
User avatar TeoSheva

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing